Important stuff. Blanket color

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Important stuff. Blanket color

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Buying Miss A. a new heavy blanket. She is a red chestnut. What color blanket should I buy her? Her go to color is green, so she has a green medium and a green sheet, as well as a dark blue medium. My color choices are limited. Nix any reds/purples/oranges and I'm left with green and 2 shades of blue and a teal. Blech to all. Or should I go mad and get her purple? Bright purple.

Chisamba

Re: Important stuff. Blanket color

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:01 pm

if purple brings you joy, go purple

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:53 pm

I hate the color purple and it would look terrible on Miss A. The blanket is available in burgundy which is an acceptable color to me.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:32 pm

The color I pick is 100% dependent on what is in the clearance section :lol: My preferred style are those blankets with the attached neck, and then super heavy weight waterproof in his size at a bargain price, so getting to PICK a color is never an option! My poor horse has worn purple plaid, a terrible shade of electric teal, blue, burgundy....you get the idea.

But pick the color that makes you happiest. My horse is a cherry sorrel, and I like his burgundy blanket on him, it's a pretty shade of red and he's easy to spot when he's out in the pasture!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:00 pm

I get the darkest color available in the clearance section. Less visible poop? :?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Kelo wrote:The color I pick is 100% dependent on what is in the clearance section :lol: My preferred style are those blankets with the attached neck, and then super heavy weight waterproof in his size at a bargain price, so getting to PICK a color is never an option! My poor horse has worn purple plaid, a terrible shade of electric teal, blue, burgundy....you get the idea.

But pick the color that makes you happiest. My horse is a cherry sorrel, and I like his burgundy blanket on him, it's a pretty shade of red and he's easy to spot when he's out in the pasture!

Ditto. Annabelle is also a deep chestnut and has a heavy blanket in "poppy" which is a bright red. She also has a couple black blankets with bright red trim. The only thing I would avoid is most really light colors (I say most because I have lighter weight turnout sheets that are light-colored to help reflect excess heat).
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:44 am

Also, if you are at a boarding barn with more than a handful of horses, it can also be nice to have a blanket color that stands out.

I like burgundy on some chestnuts a lot. I also think lighter blues, which are not as easy to find, look really nice on chestnuts. I personally love a dark, emerald green on most horses.

RP got a new rain sheet this year and because I felt like being ridiculous, I got him one with pandas all over it.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:08 am

blob wrote:Also, if you are at a boarding barn with more than a handful of horses, it can also be nice to have a blanket color that stands out.

It's not a concern here (6 horses, including my 2 and BO's 1), but at previous barns, I painted a bright yellow square on each shoulder of Anzia's blankets. Easy sighting of horse + labeled blanket.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:14 pm

My oldster had a barn buddy once--a rusty color pony-type with almost carrot colored mane (during the summer) :) I got pony a really nice brown blanket which looked great on him. I like the browns, if available. Don't forget to check TSC. Bought a nice black/blue trim blanket there last year.
https://www.sstack.com/stormshield-nord ... /p/35205C/

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:05 pm

I always liked green on my mainly bright chestnut pinto.
I love purple but not on him!
He also looked nice in certain shades of blue.

Why not get one with multiple colors and something super flashy for your pretty mare

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:44 pm

I’m going with either teal or light blue. This is for a 300 g fill blanket and fingers crossed she won’t have to wear it often!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Paula, both those colors would look great on your red mare.

For Emi's super duper warm blanket, I have black (on a white-grey horse). I figure it helps her absorb more of the sun's rays! (she is always colder than normal horses). I did just get her a new purple Rambo sheet (her older version still worked but was getting worn). It is pretty bright until she breaks it in with mud.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”