Favorite reins?

Fatcat
Herd Member

Favorite reins?

Postby Fatcat » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:24 pm

So I'm back in the saddle (finally), and realized I need some longer reins for my girl. My favorite reins that I'm using are some 56" Crosby's that are 20 years old, but no longer made. I don't like rubber or web reins, and prefer soft leather with stops. There aren't a lot of choices for 60" reins.

I am leaning toward Red Barn calfskin reins, does anybody have a pair and do you like them? What about Thinline reins, the reviews say they don't last, is that true? Then there's some leather handstop Jerry's reins, and am wondering how supple and soft they are. I'm also curious about Jerry's synthetic reins, as I've read great things about them. Anybody have or used those? I don't want Bobby's reins as they're too stiff and didn't hold up well, (had those for a previous horse).

I want something that will last at least a decade, and am willing to pay more for that.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Favorite reins?

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Too bad I just sold some extra long Jerry's synthetic reins. They are nice if you don't require a lot of grippiness. They do seem to hold up nicely.

I'm riding a horse with Thinline reins on the bridle right now. They are a thicker, less flexible rein, and don't have a ton of grip. I'm liking them more now that it's warm, but they were somewhat stiff when it was ~20F. Not sure how old they are, but the owner says they are wearing out, so maybe they were different when they were new.

You say you don't like rubber reins, but have you tried the new, very flexible and thinner rubber reins? I am totally sold on them. Not sure who makes them in 60", but I'm talking about the ones like this: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn-Finer- ... -p/175.htm The ones I have are Red Barn and some unknown brand.

If you like plain leather and are willing to pay the price, you can't go wrong with Jerry's, though.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:25 pm

I have extra long rubber lined reins that I really like. I wish I could remember the brand, sorry, but they are smooth (no stops) and narrow so they fit my size small (6 1/2 -7) hands. I have a red barn bridle that I really like but the reins that came with it were just those crummy web ones.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:40 pm

I have the Thinline reins. Straightforward is helping me by riding Kyra while I'm on a riding hiatus. I like them except in the winter. They do get stiff then but the rest of the year I really like them. I have older hands and probably some arthritis and the Thinlines are very soft and grippy (in the warmer weather) without having to close your hand so tightly. Mine do not have stops on them as I prefer reins without.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:55 am

I use KL Select dressage reins with the leather stoppers. I have this brand bridle too so I got matching reins. IMO very good quality and these reins come in X-tra long and different widths. These have various kinds for comparison. I'd shop around for a sale price.

http://www.klselect.com/wp-content/uplo ... -REINS.jpg

http://klselect.shptron.com/p/dressage-reins?pp=8

http://www.klselect.com/accessories/reins/

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:30 pm

I just got some Red Barn reins this winter.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/red-b ... tops-10785

Initially, I thought they would be too big for my wimpy hands (I have an RA-like disease), but they are awesome! Very comfortable, the stops are very subtle and the leather is good quality. I vote yes on these.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 am

StraightForward wrote:You say you don't like rubber reins, but have you tried the new, very flexible and thinner rubber reins? I am totally sold on them. Not sure who makes them in 60".

I received a new Schneiders Tack catalog today and noticed these reins, available in both 54" and 64".

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 am

I was going to suggest the ones you mentioned. The calfskin with the covered stops are soft yet subtle. The Thinline are wonderful, especially for older hands.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:53 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:I have the Thinline reins. Straightforward is helping me by riding Kyra while I'm on a riding hiatus. I like them except in the winter. They do get stiff then but the rest of the year I really like them. I have older hands and probably some arthritis and the Thinlines are very soft and grippy (in the warmer weather) without having to close your hand so tightly. Mine do not have stops on them as I prefer reins without.

Susan

I have thinline too and have had the same experience. It's much easier to keep a good hold on the reins but keep your arm soft.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:32 pm

I have Jerry's synthetic reins and love them. If you make it to the clinic you can take a look at them.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:35 pm

I have some barely used 5/8'" x 62" Jerry's Synthetic Reins that I would sell. Send me a PM if interested.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi all,
Just this week I found some new XL red barn calfskin reins on eBay at half of retail, so I nabbed them. They came yesterday and they're exactly what I was looking for--butter soft with subtle stops.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:51 pm

fatcat, they are what I use too. I love them. In fact, I've pretty much worn a hole in them and should put a new pair on my shopping list.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”