Experience with Duette saddles

VBOpie
Herd Member

Experience with Duette saddles

Postby VBOpie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Just interested in seeing if anyone has any experience with these saddles. I am looking at a horse, and I have been told he needs a wide saddle.

Quelah
Herd Member

Re: Experience with Duette saddles

Postby Quelah » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 pm

I had one for my Shire mare. It worked, it was OK, I didn't looove it. I later bought an XW close contact dressage from Sheryl Lemke, SDL saddles. That I did looooove. So much in fact that when I got the Iberian cow ponies, I bought same saddle in MW for them. I'm really hoping not to have to ever buy anything else in a dressage saddle, but I'm not the most serious dressage rider (understatement). If it's comfortable to me, and fits the horse well, I'm good.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:59 pm

I had a Duett close contact saddle and loved it. Fergus loved it...moved noticeably better in it than in his dressage saddle...and both were professionally chosen for him and continually fitted to him by excellent saddle fitters. Even though I was a chicken about close contacts saddles, I felt safe in it, and my eventing friends and then trainer also really liked it.

I didn't use it a whole lot so can't speak to how well they hold up. I sold it when I realized there was no way I would be jumping after several bouts with EPM.

I am considering a dressage version for Dallas The Rescue Pony when I start on that saddle shopping extravaganza. :-)

heronponie
Greenie

Postby heronponie » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:45 pm

I had a duett dressage saddle years ago. My impression was... junk. The construction and leather quality were very poor. It was wide as claimed, but the panels were so flat that it was nearly impossible to fit properly to a horse. It proved to be more or less unsellable because it didn't fit right on anything and I finally let it go for pennies to a rider with a bunch of horses in hopes they might have better luck. They didn't.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:27 pm

I trialled a Duett Largo a couple years ago. It felt like I was sitting on a board up ABOVE my horse. Hated it.

Depending on how wide the horse is, an XW Albion might be a possibility. I've had a Legend CC and an SLK dressage and they were both the type of saddles that seemed to fit lots of different wide horses, and so much nicer to ride in. Can be found used for the $1K neighborhoood. A used Black Country would also be worth keeping an eye out for if you're needing a hoop tree.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:09 am

My client had a duette. Dressage. She loved it, I hated it, lol. It had an adjustable tree,. U set it with a tool. That jammed and became unworkable after the third setting.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:51 am

I've seen several and have not been impressed at all, with construction, materials, design, ability to fit horse or rider. I like Black Country hoop trees or Frank Baines (sizes up to 8X!) for wide horses.

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:28 pm

I've worked with them quite a bit and have ridden in them as well. I think they are great saddles for the price. They do fit the wide horses and there are different models and price points are good. The seats can run slightly small and the widths can be inconsistent between saddles but if you can try it, you could get a feel of fit. The twist is moderate to wide in my opinion.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Another to consider - Lovatt and Ricketts. My friend tried Duette and we all found it hard as a rock BUT worth the price. She then found the L&R and like riding on a couch! Super soft, easy for the saddle fitter to adjust and is good for wider horses. Price range is good too.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:01 am

I tried a Duett on my wide, flat backed Arab. I liked it okay but ended up selling it. I now have a Lovatt & Ricketts Ellipse for him and love it. Two of my friends ride in Duetts and they are happy with them.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:08 pm

I have two. One in my husband's seat size for his Shire and I bought one to ride her in too but ended up using it for my half Arab. It fit both the Shire and the half Arab just fine. I am surprised by the responses here saying the seat is hard. I found mine so soft and comfy. I can't remember off hand what model I have. I talked to a saddle fitter before I bought them. He said the quality wasn't bad for the price. Mine have held up well. I ride the paint gelding in a black country Vinici though, custom made for him. I think the Duett has a softer seat but love that Vinici. He takes a wide tree. All my horses have either taken wide or extra wide.

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:55 am

I got a Duette Encore for Rustle a couple summers ago. I feel very comfortable and secure in it, Rustle goes well in it and it was in my saddle budget price-wise. I did trade in the fitter who sold it to me for a better one though and now Rustle likes it even more. I have one gripe about it and it's that the panels are kind of flimsy so I really have top pay attention and make sure they haven't folded under when I put it on Rustle's back (I've never had a saddle do that).

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:24 am

I tried a Duett and I did like it but ending up getting a Courbette Vision for my very wide Connemara pony and LOVE it!! Granted that is a cross country saddle. I use a Albion dressage saddle on her…that I also LOVE….I was lucky and was able to find it used.

leheath8
Greenie

Postby leheath8 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:45 pm

I had a Duett approx. 7 years ago and really liked it. They were good to work with (I sent photos of my horse) and the saddle fit me and the horse very well. I eventually ended up selling it to go with a treeless dressage saddle because my horse changed shape too darn often as she was growing and I was in an area without fitters to help keep up with a treed saddle.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”