Good quality, stiff dressage boot recommendation

capstone
Herd Member

Good quality, stiff dressage boot recommendation

Postby capstone » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:50 pm

It is time to replace my original pair of tall boots, bought more than 10 years ago. They are black semi-custom Petries. Maybe the Anky model.

I also have brown Cavallos, bought much more recently. Piaffe Plus I believe.

DH is surprisingly on board with the replacement despite the fact that the Cavallos were almost 4x what I paid for the Petries.

Should I repeat either one of these brands or try another? Konig for example. As I said, I am looking for a stiff boot. With some weight to it. I know that is not everyone's cup of tea.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Good quality, stiff dressage boot recommendation

Postby orono » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:17 pm

If you're happy with the Cavallos I would order the same style and size numbers in black.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:56 pm

orono wrote:If you're happy with the Cavallos I would order the same style and size numbers in black.

This was my initial thinking.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:20 am

Stay with the boot you love!!! After weeks, (maybe months) of looking for a boot that I would love last spring/summer and finally founding them…..Ariat Volante, back zipper…..I am almost tempted to buy another pair just in case the company discontinues them.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:21 am

Stay with the boot you love!!! After weeks, (maybe months) of looking for a boot that I would love last spring/summer and finally founding them…..Ariat Volante, back zipper…..I am almost tempted to buy another pair just in case the company discontinues them.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:57 am

I had custom Dehner's that lasted me about 10 years and it was finally time to replace them this year. After TONS of online research, I was set on Konigs...well I went to the tack shop and somehow they talked me into a pair of custom Tucci dressage boots...it helped that they had a full wall of beautiful Tuccis in every style/color imaginable. They just arrived a couple of weeks ago and I have to say they are super duper super beautiful!!! More feminine looking than the konigs for sure... and supposedly easier break in (will report back on that). I would say if you are planning to break the bank on new boots, they are worth taking a look at. If I hadn't gone for these, I would have gone for Konigs because of the other high end brands, I thought they had the best recommendations. The online reviews of the Petries seem to have gone downhill a bit over time.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:38 am

HafDressage wrote:I had custom Dehner's that lasted me about 10 years and it was finally time to replace them this year. After TONS of online research, I was set on Konigs...well I went to the tack shop and somehow they talked me into a pair of custom Tucci dressage boots...it helped that they had a full wall of beautiful Tuccis in every style/color imaginable. They just arrived a couple of weeks ago and I have to say they are super duper super beautiful!!! More feminine looking than the konigs for sure... and supposedly easier break in (will report back on that). I would say if you are planning to break the bank on new boots, they are worth taking a look at. If I hadn't gone for these, I would have gone for Konigs because of the other high end brands, I thought they had the best recommendations. The online reviews of the Petries seem to have gone downhill a bit over time.

I've never heard of Tucci before. But now that I do a quick search, I see that they had a stand at Wiesbaden when I was there in May. What an opportunity lost, to check them out! Since I'm currently based in Switzerland, I am considering a shopping trip to Germany. I could maybe go to Italy.

That was my thinking on the Petries too.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:46 pm

I'm going to order Cavallos from Calevo. I may even have my measurements from last time, for reference.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:10 pm

If you are already in Europe it is far cheaper to get them there.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:15 pm

By "there" do you mean Calevo or Europe? Either way, this seems like the best/cheapest approach from all of my research.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:13 am

Capstone do you have a link for what you are ordering? I debated Cavallos too. Hopefully they turn out awesome! :)

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 am

HafDressage wrote:Capstone do you have a link for what you are ordering? I debated Cavallos too. Hopefully they turn out awesome! :)

https://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo/p ... 30151.html

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 pm

FYI, Petries are on sale at Dressage Extensions. Good price for the Anky's. I have the Olympics and the Anky's. The Olympics are lovely, but are breaking in a touch soft for my tastes. The Anky's are definitely stiff, and I find the sizing to be different than the Olympics. Konigs - the Favorits and the GrandJesters are both very stiff. If you like stiff boots, those bit the bill as well. The Lady's are not very stiff at all IMO, I don't know about the Sir model.

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Cavallo Piaffe Plus 4x more than Petrie Anky Elegance??? Are you sure?

I loved the Cavallo Piaffe Plus, but when both pairs wore out, I went with Petrie Anky Elegance because the local tack shop that carried the Cavallo's had closed. I worry a bit about ordering boots without trying them on.

I currently have 3 pair of Anky Elegance that I bought from Dressage Extensions. Guess what? They are all the same size but they did not all fit the same. The foot bed is tighter in one pair of them.

As you all know, zippers tend to break. That said, I have had unique zipper problems with the Petries. What happens is that the fabric that connects to the zipper comes apart. It happened on almost brand new boots. Fortunately, I have a local shoemaker that puts in zippers and patches worn boots.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't think they are Elegance. And maybe 3x would have been more accurate.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:08 pm

For anyone contemplating ordering Petrie boots, Dressage Extensions is having a two-day sale (through 8/4/16) - $25 off each pair. Code is 25OFF . Sale boots are included.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:56 am

If anyone is in the market for Konigs Classic Dressage in the UK is having a 50% off sale.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”