HDR Padded Raised Bridle

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

HDR Padded Raised Bridle

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Does anyone have this bridle? Do you like it? This would likely be a 'starter' bridle while Phoenix is in training (still a ways out) but I'm looking to put some things on my 'Christmas list' that I'll be needing for her. Not looking to spend too much on her first bridle.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HUX01C/ref ... EH0T&psc=1
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Snork
Herd Member

Re: HDR Padded Raised Bridle

Postby Snork » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:19 pm

HDM is fine. I don't particularly like it and the leather quality is exactly where you'd expect it, but for a cheap bridle it's fine.

I know opinions differ on this, but i have always had good luck with the Heritage/FSS (I *think* Heritage is the same as FSS - they look awfully similar. I have had 2 FSS) bridles from UK. The leather quality is better than you expect for the price and i like the padding. It looks and feels a lot more expensive than it is and I've got a lot of compliments on my "nice" bridles from people who own a lot more expensive tack. Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSS-German-Posh ... tSbyi2r1Ug

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Snork wrote:HDM is fine. I don't particularly like it and the leather quality is exactly where you'd expect it, but for a cheap bridle it's fine.

I know opinions differ on this, but i have always had good luck with the Heritage/FSS (I *think* Heritage is the same as FSS - they look awfully similar. I have had 2 FSS) bridles from UK. The leather quality is better than you expect for the price and i like the padding. It looks and feels a lot more expensive than it is and I've got a lot of compliments on my "nice" bridles from people who own a lot more expensive tack. Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSS-German-Posh ... tSbyi2r1Ug

Thank you! This is what I wanted to know.

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:46 am

I bought the Plymouth Dressage bridle from SmartPak and was really impressed with the quality of leather for the price-it's quite supple right out of the bag and hasn't really stretched out noticeably. I think it's around $60. Be aware that they do run large so size accordingly :)

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Heritage seems to be better quality than FSS in my opinion. I have a heritage bridle and FSS halter. I think HDR is ok, not great. I'd echo the Smart Pak bridles. Plus you could return easily if you didn't like it.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:49 pm

The issue was trying to find an easily found option. I was hoping to stick with something on Amazon for my Christmas list, so that my list is all in one place. If I don't get it for Christmas though and ended up buying it myself, I may go with one of the Smart Pak options.

MyDanceTilMidnight
Greenie

Postby MyDanceTilMidnight » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:03 pm

Bobby's bridles are much nicer quality and only $50 more...I get mine from equus now online

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Late to the game - but I have had 2 HDR bridles.

My schooling bridle is the plain raised with the flash on a sliver ring and I love it. I don't think they make that model anymore, but when I see one pop up, I'm always tempted to buy it as an extra. For the price, the quality is a little better than you'd expect - the leather has softened nicely with about 1 year of saddle soap cleaning daily and now just cleaning with water daily and conditioning rarely. I don't expect it to last more than 5 years (using it 5x per week).

I had a double raised HDR that I got used, and I liked it too but parts of the lather were actually a little too soft for me. I ended up selling it to get a new SmartPak Wellfleet bridle.

I like the HDRs because I know they fit my horse well. He's between a true horse size and a true oversize, and the HDR Oversize fits his in-between head without too much extra length on the straps. The SmartPak oversize fits well, but is slightly bigger.

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:53 pm

I just got a HDR hunter bridle and I like it, it fits really well.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”