Rein-Aids

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Rein-Aids

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Is anyone using the Rein-Aid gadget?

I have been using them on my new mare, since I do not have steady/even/elastic hands. I do not have harsh hands, they could even be viewed as too loose. I probably give too much and at times I sponge my reins..UGH...Bad habit...

I cannot seem to keep her in the contact - if you have experience with these reins, would I be better off not using them? Maybe, she is having too much of an elastic feel and they give too much, since I give too...

Thanks

Josette

Re: Rein-Aids

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:23 am

I remember this topic was discussed on the UDBB with mixed responses. Some riders/trainers were very opposed as they felt it did not help rider/horse learn contact. Others found they liked it as a learning tool for new riders not to balance/hang on a horse. I did use these reins on a former western horse who was learning to accept contact. It was a training tool and I liked them. However, if you are already too soft or throwing away the contact they may not be useful for you. I might suggest researching some youtube rider training videos to help you. I do find Jane Savoie very helpful with her articles, books and videos.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks,. Keeping loose wrists is hard, that's why I bought the rein aids so that in case I lock or balance on her mouth they have some give. I have one Jane's books also watch some videos. I also am watching the Peter Dove tutorials. He is a proponent of Mary Waynless. It's so hard trying to get everything correct yet keep very forward horse moving at a nice smooth pace. She looks to do the quick step! Lol

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:08 pm

For what it's worth - I think it's critical that riders learn not to ride with "piano hands" like a water skier. The wrists must be turned so the hands have the thumb on top like Sally Swift describes in her Centered Riding book - "like holding a baby bird". Likewise, the pinkie finger is closed and not left to hang open and loose. If you play with some of these hand adjustments you will feel how they affect your wrist to be tight or rigid. The hand is simply closed on the rein like in a hand shake without a tight grip on the reins.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:06 pm

Luckily, I do not ride with piano hands.

But, I do think I sponge the reins more than I should, and my trainer is always telling me to close my fingers. I am working hard to lose the memory reflex of sponging the reins.

I do leave my pinky finger quite loose. I need to remember to close it, not tighten just close around the reins

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”