Rein Recommendations

HafDressage
Herd Member

Rein Recommendations

Postby HafDressage » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:54 am

I'm in desperate need of a new pair of reins for my snaffle. My last pair didn't have the stoppers and I like the idea of having those again...maybe stoppers and rubber?

Any recommendations? Brands? Links?

Thanks in advance!

Fatcat
Herd Member

Re: Rein Recommendations

Postby Fatcat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:37 pm

I really like my Red Barn calfskin reins I got earlier this year, very supple and have stops of a sort. You can find them at smartpak.com or vtosaddlery.com

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:31 pm

I like the KL Select Dressage reins with leather stoppers and 3/4" width.
Last edited by Josette on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:03 am

I recently bought a Nunn Finer bridle with their Soft Grip rubber reins:

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn-Finer-Soft-Grip-Rein-p/175.htm

I love them. They are really supple with good grippiness. I have small hands, so many rubber reins are far too bulky, but these are not. No stops, though (I think stops are uncommon with rubber?).

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:00 pm

Do stops actually help you keep the same rein length? I use lace reins ( yes, a PITA to clean) and I do loose my reins.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Hayburner wrote:Do stops actually help you keep the same rein length? I use lace reins ( yes, a PITA to clean) and I do loose my reins.

Not me. At least not in reality. My trainer will say "shorten your reins to the 4th stop" (for example) and so it does have some usefulness. But then I lose them anyway.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:23 am

I like the soft leather padded type reins, as long as they don't have any stretch in them.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:58 am

Hayburner wrote:Do stops actually help you keep the same rein length? I use lace reins ( yes, a PITA to clean) and I do loose my reins.

I think they can help to give you the feel of equal length, but when I used them my hands would always end up right at the stops, so I wasn't making the minor adjustments that were probably appropriate, considering the stops are several inches apart. Shortening or lengthening a full stop is quite a bit, and I, at least, was unlikely to hold in between stops consistently.
Keep calm and canter on.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 am

capstone wrote:

Not me. At least not in reality. My trainer will say "shorten your reins to the 4th stop" (for example) and so it does have some usefulness. But then I lose them anyway.

I tend to agree. I don't know that they do all that much to stop the reins from getting longer, but maybe a little and they are good for checking the evenness of your reins. So, I think they are useful.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:44 pm

LOVE stops!
No...they do not actually prevent the reins from slipping longer and longer, but they most certainly keep your reins even.
My 'perfect spot' has never been actually on one of the stoppers, so I put some hockey tape at the exact spot my hands needed to be. Works great!

My favourite reins are thin leather with rubber backing...and stops :)

However...I recently went to rubber reins ... my small arthritic hands cannot hold the thin leather reins any more :(
They have no stoppers, so I just put some tape at my perfect spot.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Oh, I like the idea of the tape !

OMG - Yesterday it was so hot and humid - that my reins were slipping due to my fingers being a sweated mess.....LOL

I may have to look into a different style of reins - though I do love the softness of my broken in laced ones....

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:23 pm

Red Barn has the nice ones with padded bumps/stops unlike the little leather pieces for stops. I also like the Thinline reins for more arthritic type fingers and the Nunn Finer soft grip for easy to grip ones that don't slip.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:25 am

I love, love my thinline reins, although they don't have stops. They are so easy to grip. I've used medical tape to mark lengths in the past if needed.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”