Desperately seeking this kind of saddle:

Ganas
Herd Member

Desperately seeking this kind of saddle:

Postby Ganas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Ideally a 17.5 Passier GG with shallow seat, upswept panels, wide tree and wide channel throughout the saddle.

I just demoed a Marcus Krehan that he went really well in, but it slid up over his withers and is a tad too narrow. Marked 17C

So suggestions like those two would be greatly appreciated. I've only been able to find one GG and it's being advertised about $600 over it's real value and they will not come down in price. It's really old. Since I can't seem to find that exact, I'm willing to try other saddles- must be close to the horse, 17.5, wide gullet, wide channel and upswept panels (or gusseted panels that barely extend at all- think as short a saddle as possible)

Thank you in advance!

PS, I can't stand Roosli's and he hates the Stubben tree.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Desperately seeking this kind of saddle:

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:46 pm

I don't know what you consider to be a reasonable price. Pelham Saddlery has a GG that might work for $1495.

http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/passiers ... 7used.html

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:59 pm

OMG, take a look at the flap length on that GG! GG's all have longer than average flap lengths.

Ganas, what about a Passier Relevant? It has the shallow seat, but I don't know about the panel length. You could get a trial Relevant from Dover Saddlery. Of course, you'd have to pay shipping back and forth.

\

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 pm

Canyon wrote:I don't know what you consider to be a reasonable price. Pelham Saddlery has a GG that might work for $1495.

http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/passiers ... 7used.html

Ah ha! They just dropped the price by a few hundred. I'd have to recheck my notes as to how old it was, it's not in super great shape, I mean good shape for being 20 or so years old, but not great shape. IMO it's an $1100 saddle at best, but I'm getting desperate.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:33 pm

musical comedy wrote:OMG, take a look at the flap length on that GG! GG's all have longer than average flap lengths.

Ganas, what about a Passier Relevant? It has the shallow seat, but I don't know about the panel length. You could get a trial Relevant from Dover Saddlery. Of course, you'd have to pay shipping back and forth.

\

Oh the flaps are horrid. But the saddles ride well and there aren't too many nowadays to choose from that are close to the horse. I will check out some relevants. I rode in an Antares thinking that might work and it rode very differently than the GG. He went fine, I didn't like it, couldn't get my legs on.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Have you tried any Kent & Masters saddles? Maybe the cob model? I’ve heard good things about them, reportedly good quality for the price. I believe there are US saddlers that carry them and offer a trial.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:28 am

Canyon wrote:Have you tried any Kent & Masters saddles? Maybe the cob model? I’ve heard good things about them, reportedly good quality for the price. I believe there are US saddlers that carry them and offer a trial.

They are very nice. I had a fitter bring one up to try and he gave it the veto. It looked like it should have worked perfectly fine, but did not. (Just a wee bit frustrating!)

Maybe I'll suck it up and pay the price for that Passier.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Ha! re the long flaps on the GG >;-> My 37" inseam thought they were great, it actually fit me and I loved that saddle! I lost the horse it fit the best so I sold it.

You normal people have no idea the curse TOO TALL can be >;->

Segue: My favorite saddles now are a Butterfly and a new custom Tad Coffin dressage. They have different but neat tree designs and it is clear that the horses really like them. They both feel very comfortable for me. I tried several of the Buttefly models but my femur stuck over the flaps on all of them. I tried one of the AP models and it was great. Its odd looking but I really like it. The Tad Coffin is beautiful and makes me feel very centered and balanced. But even though it is custom, my damn femur still pokes over the flap more than I like. Sigh.

I will look around for a GG and let you know Ganas if I find one. It seems like I see them once in a while.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm not as long legged as you Abbey, and I also can have the femur over the flap problem, and all my saddles are 18" seats.
Abby Kogler wrote:Ha! re the long flaps on the GG >;-> My 37" inseam thought they were great, it actually fit me and I loved that saddle! I lost the horse it fit the best so I sold it.

You normal people have no idea the curse TOO TALL can be >;->

Segue: My favorite saddles now are a Butterfly and a new custom Tad Coffin dressage. They have different but neat tree designs and it is clear that the horses really like them. They both feel very comfortable for me. I tried several of the Buttefly models but my femur stuck over the flaps on all of them. I tried one of the AP models and it was great. Its odd looking but I really like it. The Tad Coffin is beautiful and makes me feel very centered and balanced. But even though it is custom, my damn femur still pokes over the flap more than I like. Sigh.

I will look around for a GG and let you know Ganas if I find one. It seems like I see them once in a while.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:33 pm

OP, if you can give it a little time I bet you will find what you need. I was searching for a wide GG earlier this year for a client and I was able to find several. Two were at The Tack Room in Camden, SC, but apparently they don't have their used saddles online. You might give them a call.

For you tall folks (of which I am one) have you tried a GPdressage? The slightly more forward flap can really help in accommodating a long thigh.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:30 pm

no.stirrups, I've been looking since July. Maybe it will just take longer. There are so many GG's out there, every consignment shop seems to have at least two and most of them in that age group/level of condition are dirt cheap. (Between 800 and 1,100)

So that's why I out it out there to the DDBB, maybe someone will see one! :) (thank you Abby!)

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Is this the saddle?
http://www.saddlesource.com/cons00001904.html

Passier Grand Gilbert
17" W

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 am

Oh thank you both! The 17" might be too small for me, but the one in CA, if that one has the consistently wide channel I will be THRILLED. Such a great price.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:49 pm

The one in CA turned out to be almost perfect and I'm still debating it, but a wrench was thrown into my excitement. Passier has it listed as a 17". It measures the typical Passier generous of 17.25. :( Which sounds bad because it's said that most Passier GG's measure a 1/4" large, BUT, I measure my GG that's stamped 17.5, they have it listed in their database as a 17.5 and it measures 17.25.

I think I'll gamble on it. I think. I don't ride with the straightest leg ever and worry that the flap will be too far under me, even though the seat measures fine. I've been shipping a lot of saddles back and forth and am getting to be more hesitant about paying so much just to try.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:50 am

Canyon wrote:Have you tried any Kent & Masters saddles? Maybe the cob model? I’ve heard good things about them, reportedly good quality for the price. I believe there are US saddlers that carry them and offer a trial.

I bought one of these and I LOVE it. The seat fits me perfectly and I love the changeable gullet. This meant that i could keep my saddle I bought for my Andi gelding and use it on my Andi mare - I just had to change the gullet. It was so reasonably priced and the leather is beautiful.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:13 am

Ganas, if you are still looking, a friend has a GG 17.5 in excellent shape, looks barely used. Pretty sure its a wide. Want the contact #?

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:33 am

Abby Kogler wrote:Ganas, if you are still looking, a friend has a GG 17.5 in excellent shape, looks barely used. Pretty sure its a wide. Want the contact #?

If it has upswept panels and a wide channel underneath, yes and thank you!

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:12 pm

It seems to...I was in a rush and did not get photos...the gullet is 5.5 " so it looked like a wide...I will be able to see it next Monday. Its not old..she bought it a few years ago but it has not been used much, its beautiful. If I get down there sooner I will take pics. Will send them when I do if you have not found one yet.

horsesavvy
Greenie

Postby horsesavvy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 pm

I've got a Passier GG with the deeper seat and gussets. I used it on my very short back but very wide Arab mare. Not doing dressage anymore, so I've finally decided to let it go.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/5288253571.html

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”