Half pads

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Half pads

Postby PaulaO » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Miss A. needs additional cushioning. I picked up a barely used Ultra Thinline pad and used it with a Poly Pad. The thinline slips around and isn't working. I'm going to try it with a standard PRI pad. If it still slips, what should I consider?

Mattes pad? Does the sheepskin go directly on her back? I guess I don't understand how a half pad would give the same coverage as a standard pad.

capstone
Herd Member

Re: Half pads

Postby capstone » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:33 pm

What I have done: standard pad closest to the horse with the half pad, whether Thinline or Mattes or other, on top. Then the saddle.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:37 pm

I place my wool half pad on top of my quilted pad. It has some girth straps which help hold it in place and I've never had any slippage issues.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:19 pm

I've used a Thinline both directly on the horse's back, and between a quilted pad and the saddle, both with leather and serge-paneled saddles and have never had a slippage problem, so I'd be concerned about saddle fit if it's traveling that much. With that said, maybe a cotton or wool pad would be better than poly, or you might try some of that rubber waffle material that's made for putting under area rugs to prevent them from sliding? There are half pads specifically advertised as non-slip as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:33 am

I use a half pad (thinline or whatever) over the top of a normal saddle cloth, as my saddle is slightly too wide.
However, he's beefed up a bit and I now like the sheepskin lined saddle cloths, so underneath the cloth is the sheepskin where the saddle sits, the rest is normal saddle cloth.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:23 pm

My real question is: what is the purpose of the half pad? To provide additional cushion without added bulk? The barn has felt half pads that I can use until I find what works best for her.

I think it's the Poly Pad that causes the slippage. There's no contouring or molding to the horse's back with the PP.

Ariel's back is damp and warm after half an hour. Not steaming, not sweaty, and she cools down and dries off within minutes. I like the thought of sheepskin since it is absorbent and cool. Would a sheepskin half pad be enough? I like Flight's mention of the sheepskin lined saddle cloth--anyone know where to buy one?

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:30 pm

I have one like this in my "no longer used" pile.
http://www.dressageextensions.com/horse ... AsYV8P8HAQ

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Capstone, sent you a PM

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:55 pm

My half pad is actually a thinline pad that I use for added cushion during sitting trot work. I avoid any pad with interior foam as it causes excessive heat IMO. Sheepskin pads are lovely and I used them for years during long trail rides. Very comfortable for the horse and cool/dry features. My pad under the thinline is a thick cotton pad from seamsright.com

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 am

I like the PRI fleece-backed pads (I *think* that is what Flight means), e.g.

http://www.horsetackco.com/double-back- ... e-pad.html

Not too expensive, but they wash up well and last a long time.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:47 pm

I recently bit the bullet and got Miss Emi a Mattes half pad correction pad (her combo of shark withers plus broad ribs make fit a challenge). She *loves* it. And the quality is super. Guess I need to get another one. I use this pad alone under the saddle, and it is nice and comfortable for her in the summer. It does not slip *at all*. In winter I'll probably go back to my combo of ECP half pad and Back on Track pad or LeMieux correction full pad. Some people use the Mattes type sheepskin pad on top of a plain pad, but that would not fit with my saddle/mare.

I've also heard good things about how Christ sheepskin pads wear.

The fun part with the Mattes pad is that you can custom order with your perfect colors. The bad part is that the correction pad was over $300! I think the basic custom color half pads are more like 260ish.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”