Thinline Reins

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Thinline Reins

Postby Hayburner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Not that I need another set of reins - but, I do let my reins slip more than I should. Right now, my instructor has me riding on a very short rein to keep her connected and to have more control of her spooks.... She doesn't like the short reins - but, I also use the rein-aids which keeps an elastic feel on her mouth, so I'm not really heavy on her..

I'm not interested in another brand (I'll use my laced) I'm just looking for feedback on the thinline before I jump on the ship and buy them.

I did google searches - and I've read both positive and negative on how well they hold up...

What say you all ???

westisbest
Herd Member

Re: Thinline Reins

Postby westisbest » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Definitely like them had mine about 3-4 years.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:18 am

Does it take time to get use to them?

I tried mine today, and yikes I felt like I had no control should my horse give one of her spooks. My hands felt like I was not holding on at all. I thought my horse seemed confused by contact and my bumbling around with the reins. I also felt like I wasn't using my outside rein at all. Is this normal till you get used to them? I did still let them slip some.

Do they lose some of their spongy feel after a few uses?

My instructor said I actually had better contact then when I use my lace reins.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:08 am

I have them and like them with one caveat. They are nice and soft. Thick enough for my older somewhat arthritic hands but not too thick. The caveat...they are stiff and slick in the cold. Usually 40 degrees and below and we have heated nothing at my barn. I usually grab my old web reins for the dead of winter as I usually have thicker winter gloves on too.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks Kyra - I did read that they are stiff in the winter - and I am in a unheated VERY cold barn/indoor arena. Like you, I'll have to switch them out when it gets cold..Hopefully, not any time soon...LOL

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”