24/7 leg protection?

TeresaA
Herd Member

24/7 leg protection?

Postby TeresaA » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:12 pm

HI guys, My older, neurological gelding is pretty much incontinent of urine. The previcox has helped reduce it but he still does it. His back legs are mess of sticky, black gunk. I've been trying to keep it clean. Washing it vigourously peels off the hair. I've had some success using excalibur. But we're going into winter and I"m worrying.

Is there a leg wrap that he could wear 24/7 that would help protect his hind legs from scalding?

TIA! I really want to do something to help him.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: 24/7 leg protection?

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:55 pm

How tall do the wraps need to be? Would something like Sox for Horses work?

Could some of the ick on his legs be smegma? My geldings "deposit" black gunk on their inner thighs if it's time to clean their sheaths.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:21 am

Those might work- I would need a couple sets because they will need to be washed. His sheath is clean- the gunk is down on his lower legs and it's from the dripping of the urine. I think it's a mix of urine and dirt. He's gotten quite used to the frequent leg washing but once winter hits that really won't be an option anymore.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:18 pm

I wonder if this would keep the urine from sticking and irritating.It is a good product to shed moisture..I use it to prevent dew poisoning...aka scratches..sold at our local tack shop. It may allow you to just brush the legs off.
http://www.keratex.net/mud_shield_powder.htm

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”