Let's talk about horse bankies

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Let's talk about horse bankies

Postby PaulaO » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Bob didn't wear a blanket til his last 2 winters and I got rid of them when he transitioned. I've been procrastinating about getting one for Miss A. but today called Schneider's and ordered her a medium fill. Of course the only colors available are orange and hot pink. NOT ON MY CHESTNUT. Or any other horse. Green is back ordered for a week, and I also got her a matching sheet. I feel like a bad mom for putting this off, since the high tomorrow is forecast to be 39. Tell me she won't die of frostbite.

Bob had a Smartpak Ultimate Turnout and while I liked it, always felt the closings were very heavy. He also had a Schneider's sheet which held up nicely and was a great value. Fingers crossed the bankie will be as good a quality.

What brands do you like? (the royal you, of course).

StraightForward

Re: Let's talk about horse bankies

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:14 pm

I like the Schneider's blankets. I've always used the Weatherbeeta Orican Freestyle on big, lanky Obie, but when I bought short, squat Appy Maya, the WB hung off her shoulders and was generally a horrible fit. So I switched to Schneider's blankets for her, and was very happy. Since, I have also purchased them for Obie and Pickle (16H, huge shoulder warmblood) and, paradoxically, they fit both of them pretty well. Pickle has a high-neck medium weight and a rain sheet, then they both have the Thinsulate lined turnouts in black. For our climate, the Thinsulate is much more versatile, and the blankets are less bulky than the mediums, so I only use the mediums now if it gets really cold (like 0 at night, <20F day).

I might bite the bullet and buy Rambos for Pickle when she's done growing, but didn't want to fork out that money to discover that she's a blanket destructo like Obie was as a youngster, or have her outgrow them in a year or two.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm a Rambo user, the Wug being especially nice for the high-withered TB's I have owned. Tio wears Rhino I think, although now that he's about done growing, he may be getting a Rambo. Quarter horse types seem to fit well in the Orican or, of course, Big D. I only ever tried one Schneider's and It did not fit the horse I bought it for. My horses are outside, on pasture, 24/7 so the blankets have to be comfortable and durable.

I am highly biased, having bought my first Rambo in Ireland in 1995.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:43 pm

None of mine wear blankets except the old pony, and it will be 0C on Sunday (32F). The only ones I blanket otherwise are the ones that get clipped because they are in regular work. They always do fine, even when the mercury dips to -20C!

When I choose a blanket, it depends on the horse. My big-shouldered Friesian/Perch does best in Weatherbeeta with an Amigo stable blanket underneath, but Schneiders also fit him well. The others do well in Rambo or Weatherbeeta, which are easy to find locally.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Another Horseware user here. I have Rhinos and Rambos. They've always been the best fit for my horses. And I actually like that you don not have a color choice. They come in one color only and that's that.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:51 pm

Is Ms Ariel clipped? If not clipped, does she grow much of a winter coat? How old is she?

I have a couple of Schneider TO blankets, a liner and a couple stable sheets. They are nice, but I still LOVE my Rambo's best.

My new mare isn't clipped, and has grown a lite winter coat. I definitely do not over blanket her. I don't want her to be "toasty" I just want to keep her from getting chilled

My horses are in the barn and have lots of hay at nite. 39 for an unclipped horse is not cold. She'll be fine. Just give her a nice amount of hay.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:02 am

I like shires and schnieders. I like high necks so the rain/snow does not wet their shoulders . I sheet when its cool, mid weight when its cold and heavy when its very cold. Why do i do this? because i ride five to six horses a day and cannot spend the hours it takes to cool each one out if they are in winter hair. I do not like Rambo because they do not come with cross over leg straps. the under the tail straps get so full of poop its disgusting. I feel the weatherbeeta Oricans that were suggested above do not hold up. I would rather pay 300 dollars and have them hold up for four to five years, than have to replace them months after getting them half way through the winter.

thats my take on blanketing which has changed dramatically over the past decade.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:01 am

The best value I have found is Country Pride by Big D's.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I like Schneiders but my favorite all-time was a Professional's Choice 'Wrangler' heavyweight turnout. Lasted beautifully for ten years! until the dingdongs at a local laundry cooked it in the dryer :twisted: I took them to small claims court (I posted about this) and won. Donated part of my winnings to the mental health hospital in the next town over for their Christmas party.

Shameless plug: I have some sheets posted in the classifieds section, and I have that wonderful but now useless Professional's Choice blanket, which might make a good doggie bed for someone..... ;)

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Weaver makes a good blanket, too. It was a brand I wasn't familiar with when I bought one a couple of years ago because I needed one in a pinch and it was all the store had. We start sheets in mid 40s and don't use heavier blankets until it's in the mid 30s. Horse aren't clipped and are inside at night.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Schneider's sheet and mid weight blanket have been ordered. This weekend was raw with wind but she was in Saturday because of a choke episode Friday night. This week will be warmer (in the 40s) so she will be fine. She doesn't grow much of a coat and isn't clipped.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:21 pm

I also use Rambos and Rhinos, but many in my barn use Schneiders or Shires and have been very happy.

I have a few SmartPak blankets but frankly the quality is less than any of the above brands.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:19 am

I use Hug blankets for my big shoulders Morgans, and the pony has horseware rhino wugs (boy do I hate those poopy tail straps.)

I get the Hugs from doversaddlery and am glad they now offer higher denier version.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:24 pm

What size does Miss A wear? I have a lovely lightly used royal blue medium weight Schneiders that could use a new home (for cost of shipping). It's either a 78 or 81".. I'm out of town and can't check.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:17 am

While I do get the complaints about horseware's poopy tail straps, I personally prefer them to leg straps any day. I despise those! Always an accident waiting to happen (luckily, they usually break away easily).

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 pm

My beloved horse Lad (died 3yrs ago) almost died and sustained a pretty bad stifle injury when Scotty got his leg caught in the front of the blanket (they were playing stallion games.) The front of the blanket turned loose, as did the belly straps, but one leg strap did not give way and shredded Lad's stifle and flank. The ensuing panic when the blanket slid back and wrapped around his hind leg caused him to gallop blindly for many minuted until he was in a great froth and the blanket was completely destroyed. I will never use leg straps again. :oops: So now I only ever use Rambo or Rhino blankets, even when I don't think the horse is worth the expense. :lol:

HaltatG
Greenie

Postby HaltatG » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 pm

I've tried lots of different brands and always seem to come back to Horsewear. The Rambo tail straps are plastic coated and clean up well, through I prefer leg straps for mares. I bought a Kensington sheet for my mare this year, mostly because I couldn't resist the magenta color, but also because it had some neat features. It had a removable belly band, and both the belly straps and the leg straps are removable from either end.

Wish Rambos came in more colors!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:07 am

I have the Schneiders techno lighter weight blankets which work best here in the south. I also have the older style Weatherbeeta (have not even looked at the new ones this year) mid weight and smart pak mid weight for one. I also like the Dover North wind medium weight, it wears like iron! My big guy out grew it so bought the smart pak for him and his younger sister will inherit the North wind for this year. I like the Weatherbeeta landa sheets, don't think they make them anymore. I like a light weight sheet for just keeping the rain off of my horses. If it is cold enough to blanket and raining (low 40s high 30s or colder) my horses don't go out. I hate wet blankets, sheets are hard enough to dry.

I confess I have a blanket hoarding issue, with many different sizes, makes and models. Plus stable sheets, coolers, etc. Only my big guy is clipped, may clip his dam if I get back to working her again, but only a trace at most. Filly has very little hair and his sister so far does not sweat too much so she has not been clipped yet.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Interesting about the leg strap not giving way. Mine break easily and regularly and have to be replaced often. Is it possible;le that there happened to be no pressure on the strap because the blanket got wrapped on the leg when he whirled, which means that even a butt strap would have had the same effect.

One of the reasons i believe all horses should be taught to hobble. Not a popular theory in the USA

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Actually, Chisamba, Lad was taught to hobble. As a westerner, all my horses learn about hobbles, ropes around legs etc. It was the leg strap, the rest of the blanket was completely shredded. All that was left was the strap and the part of the blanket the strap attaches to; I have no idea why it didn't give way but it didn't. My dh saw the whole event unfold so we know what happened.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:33 pm

I so prefer the tail straps over leg straps. Yes, they can get a bit poopy - but, it's so much easier to just wipe them down than to screw around with leg straps. Putting blankets on and off is a chinch with them - I have some blankets that originally came with leg straps and I just use bought extra tail straps and use them instead. Some of my friends just use baling twine, LOL....

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:48 pm

I was just going to ask the masses about blankets and I noticed this thread. My minis donkeys wear blankets in the winter because they get chilled very easily and if they get wet they are done. It snowed/still snowing last night and they are currently in the barn under a heat lamp until the snow quits.

I bought my first official winter blanket (I think) for my daughter's QH. Can someone explain to me the "fill" part of it. This is the technical description of what I bought:

600D Shell, 2000mm/2000mvp water proof/breathable no-rub lining at shoulder - 200g filling.

Would this mean it is a medium turnout blanket or a heavy winter blanket? It was regular $145 and I got it on a cyber Monday sale for $70. I am hoping it is a medium weight as ole Stetson hairs up really well, but is getting to the age where he needs a little extra help when the temp hits about -25C.

The Canadians don't need blankets - they are pretty much sweating in -40....

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:28 pm

That's a medium fill.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:29 pm

Tuddy wrote:I was just going to ask the masses about blankets and I noticed this thread. My minis donkeys wear blankets in the winter because they get chilled very easily and if they get wet they are done. It snowed/still snowing last night and they are currently in the barn under a heat lamp until the snow quits.

I bought my first official winter blanket (I think) for my daughter's QH. Can someone explain to me the "fill" part of it. This is the technical description of what I bought:

600D Shell, 2000mm/2000mvp water proof/breathable no-rub lining at shoulder - 200g filling.

Would this mean it is a medium turnout blanket or a heavy winter blanket? It was regular $145 and I got it on a cyber Monday sale for $70. I am hoping it is a medium weight as ole Stetson hairs up really well, but is getting to the age where he needs a little extra help when the temp hits about -25C.

The Canadians don't need blankets - they are pretty much sweating in -40....

I would consider a 200 gram fill a medium weight, 350g is heavy weight and 100g is lightweight,

ejm
Greenie

Postby ejm » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:14 am

Paula, just FYI Bob's old Smart Pak blanket has been keeping my guy warm and happy and is still going strong after several seasons. He has moderately high withers and it's a good fit on him.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm

I am another one who likes Rambos and Rhinos. They have fit most horses i've ever had, with the exception of the friesian (figures, right!) whose gargantuan neck simply won't fit in the Wug opening. I can buckle the neck, of sorts, but it is a good 10 inches up the neck from where it is supposed to be, so, the edge of the front of the blanket hangs about 6 inches above where his legs start, making it look more like a bra.

And, although i know a lot of people like them, I loathe the stupid HUG system. They have always rubbed my horses shoulders (more than one horse, same stupid blanket) and the stupid rubber straps wear out. And it has the stupid leg straps. /end grumpy rant

Godiva67
Greenie

Postby Godiva67 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 pm

I've used the Rambos for years. I knew them from the UK & was very proactive in our store carrying them! I have some that have held up 20 years. Having said that the newer ones are not what they used to be. I also like Shires & was quite impressed with Schneiders. their qulity & fit seems great especially for the price.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Godiva67 wrote:I've used the Rambos for years. I knew them from the UK & was very proactive in our store carrying them! I have some that have held up 20 years. Having said that the newer ones are not what they used to be. I also like Shires & was quite impressed with Schneiders. their qulity & fit seems great especially for the price.

I just bought a Rambo (Supreme, I think?) for Pickle, and I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed, for what I paid. I kept it, because I didn't have a heavy and temps were dipping way lower than usual, so I used it on my other horse for a few nights. The Rambo was $350 on sale, and I also ordered a heavy with neck cover Stormcheeta blanket that was on clearance for $123. It's just as nice - maybe nicer- of a blanket for a third the price (half the price based on MSRP), so I definitely won't be splashing out for more Rambos in different weights.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”