Myler bits?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Myler bits?

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Miss A. currently is in a plain snaffle. I only do flat work with her, Megan jumps her in a lesson. After a jump she gets very strong, with me on the flat she will sometimes gape her mouth and/or pull on the bit.

We are thinking of a bit change, possibly to a Myler. Anyone have experience with these? I looked at the online brochure at toklat.com, and think a Level 2 comfort snaffle with a low port might be one to try. Anywho, these bits are close to $100--anyone know of a shop that rents to try? I found old threads on CoH but the links have expired.

Quelah
Herd Member

Re: Myler bits?

Postby Quelah » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:55 pm

What size mouth is she? I may have just that bit?

Of course, classical caveat ;) better to train the horse than reach for more hardware, you can run out of bits and all that.

I had the Myler snaffle for a tb mate that would put her tongue over the bit sometimes. With the ported mouthpiece there was more room for her tongue and she stopped going it.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:08 pm

She's a 5".

I'm all for training, but in the meantime, she needs better brakes over fences.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:46 pm

I was using a level one snaffle on my guys, but I found them a little to thin for my liking.

I switch Tuddy from the Myler to this bit, and he seems to go really well with it.

http://stubbennorthamerica.com/product/ ... g-snaffle/

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:11 am

If a horse gets stronger after/during jumping, it is not about the bit. It is about going back to relax and not participating in the horse's drama. Ride a circle, or figure 8 (or 10 of them), or walk, until the horse relaxes---then restart the work. Half halts can be pulsed (upward into the corners of the lips), so the rider doesnt participate in the leaning. The circles provide lateral flexibility and help to mobilize the jaw. (Not a fan of myler or shaped bits.) mho

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:54 pm

SmartPak says they do free returns as long as item is in like-new condition. Has anyone ever bought, used, and returned a bit from there?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:36 pm

I ordered a French link from SP and was assured that they would take it back, even if it had been in the horse's mouth. The CS rep told me they want their customers to be happy.

I hate the thought of dropping close to $100 on a bit only to find out she doesn't like it.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”