Long underwear for winter riding

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Long underwear for winter riding

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:25 pm

My silk stirrup long johns have bit the dust and nobody sells the stirrup version. I ordered silk to the knee underwear and fingers crossed it doesn't bunch. I hate thick insulated breeches so wear long johns under my regular breeches. What do you in colder climes wear? I don't ride if it's below 20F but still get cold puttering around the barn.

kande50

Re: Long underwear for winter riding

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:40 pm

PaulaO wrote:My silk stirrup long johns have bit the dust and nobody sells the stirrup version. I ordered silk to the knee underwear and fingers crossed it doesn't bunch. I hate thick insulated breeches so wear long johns under my regular breeches. What do you in colder climes wear? I don't ride if it's below 20F but still get cold puttering around the barn.

I like layers over my breeches rather than under, because that makes it easier to take layers off if I get too warm. I don't always ride in breeches in the winter though, because I don't want to have to change to ride, so I usually just put snow pants over whatever I've got on and if the legs start riding up I put half chaps over the snow pants.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Silk-like Cuddle Duds under my regular breeches. I put the Cuddle Duds on, put wool hiking socks over them, then the breeches. The socks keep the Cuddle Duds from riding up.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:56 pm

I love "minus33" they are a little bulkier than cuddle duds and warmer. I also wear my socks over the bottoms to stop them from riding up.

I also like hot chillys base layer long underwear.

I am a person who hates to be cold and feels cold often, so i have taste for heavier warmer base layers.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:19 pm

I have found that if I put my long johns on first, then socks over them, then the warm breeches, the long johns do not ride up as the socks keep them in place.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:33 am

I just wear merino thermal leggings under jods, however our cold may not be as bad as your cold.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:14 am

Love my Cuddle Duds! And yep ,put socks up over the long undies to keep them in place!

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:01 am

I saw someone posted on fb and might have to try a pair

http://www.socksaddict.com/smartwool-the-tight-ii

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Another vote for Cuddl Duds.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:10 pm

I have been wearing the Cuddle Duds for years under my breeches - nice and thin - they are a good base layer/insulator. I even wear them under my Irideon fleece britches. I have a thicker (can't remember the name) pair of long underwear for days I don't ride. Sometimes, I wear fleece lined stockings or leggings - they aren't that bulky and are a bit warmer than the Cuddle Duds.

This year I added smart wool socks - which like others I put on after my long undies.

I'm looking into the Under Armour Cold Gear Infrared leggings. I haven't bought them yet, but if they perform like the tops, they will be my go to long underwear.

I'm usually at the barn 4-5 hours and I hate being cold! I also added a pair of the Ugg Adirondacks and boy are they toasty warm.

For my riding boots, I tried a pair of the foil type insulator insoles, but they are too bulky, gave up and just put my futi's over my boots.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:27 pm

I am biased against cuddle duds for 2 reasons i dont give a rats hair about fashion, so i want an underlayer that fits to the waist. I despise having to take.off.my gloves, reach down my waistband, and fish my cuddle duds from somewhere half way down my outer layer. This happens even if i buy 2 sizes too big in the wich case they wrinkle under my knees and are still half mast in the rear. So i guess I am just the wrong shape for them.

My second bias against them is simply i do not find them warm enough for a day at the barn.

Finally, i throw.off.layers when i ride and clean stalls or rake, and add them when i teach. Sweat is the coldest thing. If i sweat and then cool off when teaching i shiver for hours.despite this, Cuddle duds are, in my opinion, the worst for soaking up sweat and sitting cold against my skin.

After coming home, taking a hot shower and still shivering under my electric blanket for an hour, I got up and threw away every cuddle dud i have.

I wondered who the heck bought them. Now i know. Viva la difference. Lol.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:40 pm

I like Patagonia.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Chisamba - I think they fall down since the waist band is so flimsy....it's not your shape - mine have a tendency to do that too. Mine are also a slippery fabric. I only use them on mild days when just breeches isn't quite enough.

I'm still searching for a good price on the Under Armour Infrared babies! Most are around $60.00...I'd prefer to be less than that.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Hmmm....Don't know what to tell you..My cuddle duds go to my bra line..I bought them second had ..Maybe it's an older style. Right now when I ride I wear an old worn and very baggy stretched out pair of pull on breeches over my jeans.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:01 am

The UA IR cold gear tights are seriously warm. I have a pair of the running tights and only wear them for sub-10F runs. Otherwise, they are simply too hot.

For those who ride and sweat, then are stationary, have you tried the uninsulated snow, wind and water repellant over pants? EMS, REI, HTO, Cabelas, etc all offer versions. Hubby has a pair that fully unzip from ankle to waist. I find they really trap body heat, and if you need to warm up, just do a few jumping jacks.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:36 pm

heddylamar - Thanks for the UA IR tight info...I don't ride hard enough to work up a sweat - we are walk/trot only. Since our barn is pretty cold and I'm a wimp - I thought they would be good on the really low teens and below days.

A few girls use the snow pants for around the barn time, but take them off to ride. They swear they really keep them warm and toasty. For me, I don't think I'd like the extra weight of them or having on two pairs of pants....ugh.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:56 am

I was sweaty after riding tonight, clammy and gross on my upper body. I wear a cotton turtleneck with a fleece vest over. What could I wear in place of the turtleneck that would absorb? Even my bra was wet. ICK.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:26 am

PaulaO — you need to wear something that wicks. Cotton is terrible, it just becomes wet and clingy. REI has a basic guide to layering here.

I generally start with a warmer summertime running shirt or tank, add something like one of Under Armour's all-season long sleeve shirts, then outer layer(s) based on the weather.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 pm

I ordered 2 long sleeve tops for layering (both Under Armour). Do I wear bra, long sleeve top, fleece vest? Or does something go between top and vest?

Just had a thought. I have 2 SUMMER long sleeve shirts (Ariat and SmartPak) which supposedly wick moisture. Could I wear those? Although the sleeves are rather thin so I'd have to wear a sweatshirt on top.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:53 am

Paula,
On the bottom, may I suggest either Irideon WindPro or Kerrits WindPro breeches? They might make you think differently about winter riding pants. Cozy brushed feel on the inside, very stretchy and not constricting, but blocks the wind. On the top, something like this is ideal. http://www.ems.com/ems-women%E2%80%99s- ... ml#start=1 Yes, I sell them but, they're also my own favorite for winter riding. These items also disperse sweat very well so you never get overheated. I top with different weight vests depending on the temp (even down to the teens for me).

Don't wear anything with cotton, like a sweatshirt or cotton underwear. You'll feel like the Michelin man and the sweat will get trapped and then get cold. Misery.

Signed,
Scruffy, who works at both Eastern Mountain Sports and Dover Saddlery but won't recommend something that doesn't work in real life. :-)

p.s. I also like the $14 fleece turtlenecks from the Uniqlo store in the mall.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 am

I ride outside year round, into the single digits ... which generally involves winter .... still waiting to see if MD delivers this year!

For my upper body, I start with a wicking running tank, top with an UA all weather/3 season long sleeve. When it's cold, I switch out the long sleeve for the UA version of scruffy's EMS top. On top of those, I go three ways: 1) unlined windbreaker, 2) soft shell fleece inside, water/wind proof exterior jackets, 3) down vest.

For my legs, I start with regular irideon full seats, then graduate to kerrits windpro and, eventually, add silk tights underneath. My feet get painfully cold, so I mostly wear MH insulated tall boots with thin liner socks or snowboarding socks.

My hands are normally okay in a pair of heavy neoprene-type gloves. But I have leather palmed snowboarding gloves that work great too.

Second (third?) the no sweatshirt or cotton for any layer, even socks. It's just misery. Wool is good for wicking though, if you have a closet full of wool sweaters.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:22 pm

My legs are fine--I have Kerrit's that are lightly lined and wear silk long johns underneath as needed. I have the Ariat insulated paddock boots. I was wearing cotton socks but will change to non-cotton. I do have silk sock liners and perhaps those will be fine with the insulated boots. I discovered a CuddleDuds turtleneck in the drawer, have ordered a Smartwool long sleeve crewneck (will return the Under Armour that is on its way), and dug through my pile of wool sweaters and found 2 that can be used to ride in. Cashmere. HA! Very classy. I will wear my CuddleDuds tank under it, and a fleece vest on top. My hands rarely get cold and my helmet keeps my head warm. I don't ride outside in the winter!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:29 pm

I love SmartWool. Sell them and own them too. But it doesn't block the wind. For indoor riding, it's nice because you don't overheat, but it's not my first choice for my riding baselayers. I wouldn't necessarily return the Under Armour if it's the Heat Series stuff. It's good. Wool is a great material but you might end up more comfortable with a fleece vest, WindPro vest, or synthetic down vest in this particular context. Now if you told me you were doing a long trip on an airplane and were going in and out of buildings on a trip, I'd say wool, hands' down. But that open knit isn't really compatible with riding and will soon be destroyed.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:48 pm

I love wool socks and wear them year round. I use thicker knit in winter versus light/thin socks in summer for hiking/walking. My favorite wool sock brands are: Smart Wool, Darn Tough, and Bridgedale socks. Be kind to your feet IMO. :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Update on long underwear situation. Rode in an Under Armour Heat Series shirt and a lightweight Columbia jacket. Regular breeches, Smartwool socks, regular paddocks. It was around 20 and I was fine. I did sweat, but didn't get gross and clammy. I love that Under Armour shirt! The Smartwool base layer is on its way. The CuddleDud t-neck also wicks.

Now I need sweatproof underpants......

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:07 pm

:D :lol:

Equi88
Greenie

Postby Equi88 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 am

I use runners leggings, the ones for winter. They usually fit nice and tight. No bunching up! I have a seriously warm pair of Filas. Comparable to UA! For socks, this years favorite is the Merino wool sock by Nobel Equine!!!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”