Anyone ride in Ariat Tall boots? UPDATE at end.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Anyone ride in Ariat Tall boots? UPDATE at end.

Postby Josette » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:14 pm

I've worn Ariat boots for years as most comfortable and great fit for me in both paddock boots and Maestro tall boots. The zipper broke in my tall boots which are 10 years old and they are showing serious wear. Since I haven't purchased boots in ages I'm reading all the reviews for feedback on sizing and wear issues. Year end sales prompted me too. :) I prefer not to be tortured and scarred while breaking in a new boot. These boots are for daily riding use. Many of my older Ariat fit fine in size 6 now the new models I seem to need a 6.5. I've NEVER worn a size 7. I ride in a light wool hiking sock.

Cadence tall dress boots - very nice quality and I managed to fit into size 6.5 Med/Full calf. My old Ariats were size 6 Med/Wide calf and a bit too large but loved them. I have some concern about the stiffness with the back zipper as it may not drop enough for break in. Now they fit painful behind the knee and I am on the fence about keeping although the sale price was excellent. the back zipper appears sturdy but bulges from the calf and looks ugly compared to my Maestro inside calf zipper.

Ariat Monaco stretch tall boot - beautiful leather and soft which I liked. However, size 6.5 Med/Full calf was way too tight/narrow in the shoe and unable to zip even half way. I would need to try again in another size provided they are on sale. I will NOT pay over $700 for daily riding boots. I really wish these had fit for the great sale price!

I really LIKE the look of the Volant with the back zip but hate that bottom leather tab by the heel. Why did they add it?

The previous front zip Volant looks comfortable for daily barn/riding - but very hard to find now. I suppose left over inventory.....

Ariat V Sport tall Zip - look like a possibility except I think they look cheap with the tiny holes in the calf which I hate to catch dirt. How would you clean them? Yuk - poor design IMO. Again - what was Ariat thinking?

Anyone ride in any of these Ariat tall boot styles? What do you like or dislike about them and which would you recommend. I am willing to pay up to $400 for daily riding boots as I want to be comfortable and not have a poor fitting boot interfere with my riding. More expensive boots need to be on sale. I would have to love them. The SmartPak site has some tall boot brand called DeNiro in brown made in Italy for $800. Oh my - oh my - do they look lovely!
Last edited by Josette on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mareless
Herd Member

Re: Anyone ride in Ariat Tall boots? Favorite?

Postby Mareless » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 pm

What don't you like about the bottom tab on the Volants? While it is 'one more thing' to fasten before I can get in the saddle, other than that I don't even know it's there. I bought my Volants used (so all ready broken in), and I really like how comfy they are both in the foot and in the leg. As far as how they look, I like my Ariat Heritages better than the Volants, but the Heritages are stiffer and the zipper doesn't seem as forgiving (I bought the Volants because after a small weight gain--about 5 pounds--I couldn't get the Heritages zipped and was afraid to force the zippers. So when I came across the used Volants a friend was selling I got them as an 'until I lose these 5 pounds' pair.)

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:27 pm

I like my v sports! And for winter love their bromonts!

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 pm

I see what you mean about the heel tab now - I couldn't figure out what it did. It covers the lower zipper area. I'd really like the Volant if I could find my size on sale. I probably missed out during the big pre-Christmas sales when I wasn't really looking..... I keep drooling over those brown DeNiro boots as I have an obsession with brown boots. :roll: Right now weather permitting I've been riding as back up in Ariat paddock boots and half chaps. I admit to liking a softer ankle but that should come with breaking a new pair of boots. My Maestro were so comfortable I will miss them.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:36 am

I wish my Maestros were your size, I'd sell them for a good price. Mine are an 8.

I needed up buying Petrie field boots and love them, so I never wear the Ariats now.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:06 pm

I think I'm going to start trying some other boot makers and expand my budget. I've always purchased modest priced boots so maybe time to treat myself for my last pair. I prefer to have tall boots specific for dressage - not field boots. Now need to find the right fit and comfort level...

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Josette wrote:I see what you mean about the heel tab now - I couldn't figure out what it did. It covers the lower zipper area. I'd really like the Volant if I could find my size on sale. I probably missed out during the big pre-Christmas sales when I wasn't really looking..... I keep drooling over those brown DeNiro boots as I have an obsession with brown boots. :roll: Right now weather permitting I've been riding as back up in Ariat paddock boots and half chaps. I admit to liking a softer ankle but that should come with breaking a new pair of boots. My Maestro were so comfortable I will miss them.

I saw both ariat Volant styles (front and back zips) on sale in the recent Dover sale catalog. Half off!

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:18 pm

I keep checking in case someone returned my size. I may have missed out when more sizes available.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:08 pm

The winner is DeNiro Salento Dress boots. They fit like a custom boot and the leather is divine beautiful quality and soft around the ankle. They feel so comfortable to walk in and my guess will be easy to break in for riding. I lucked out and did not have to special order as they had a pair in my specifications. SmartPak will be thrilled that I have finally stopped returning boots!

Hayburner

Re: Anyone ride in Ariat Tall boots? UPDATE at end.

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Glad you found a pair that you like and that fit well!

I always have to have zippers or a field boot as I have a high instep and getting in tall boots without zips is impossible.

jaybird660
Greenie

Re: Anyone ride in Ariat Tall boots? UPDATE at end.

Postby jaybird660 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:32 pm

I had ridden in Ariat tall boots and when I was looking for new ones, I found that the shape of the rear of the boot didn't fit the same way it had. It was as if the part that curves out for the calf was made lower and my calf was too high. Just didn't fit right so I switched brands.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”