Sound Reducing Bonnets

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Sound Reducing Bonnets

Postby Hayburner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:30 pm

My mare is highly reactive to sounds - even if she's heard these noises all day long, when we ride she is bothered and distracted.

Has anyone tried some of the fly type bonnets with neoprene ears. I don't want to cut off all noise, but want to really reduce the level of sound for her.

If you used them, do the horses adjust easily to wearing it?

Thanks

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Re: Sound Reducing Bonnets

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:01 am

I haven't tried one but want to. My mare is also very sensitive to sound. Especially when it is windy. However, I am grounded for possibly a long ime so I am not going to invest in one yet. I have read good things about them.

Do let us know how it works if you spring for one.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 am

I tried to try the Shockemole one, but the ears were too short for my rather aurally well-endowed horse. I haven't tried any of the others but wouldn't mid giving one a try if I could find one at a reasonable price in "huge."

In the mean time, we ride daily in an HKM standard bonnet with the regular cotton ears, and I can tell you even that makes a huge difference. It doesn't deaden everything, but enough that I'm still alive with the snow crashing off the arena roof and the neighbors building a new barn...

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:07 pm

Mountaineeer - Maybe before I invest $100 on one - I should try one of my cotton ones that my retiree use to wear for fly protection....She may totally object to something on her head/ears. She's a pistol! LOL

I'm just tired of her acting goofy about noises that she's heard a thousand times...Get over it already! lol

Trying to get her on the aids when she's super distracted is tough, especially when noises aren't expected.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:50 am

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to add that a few friends swear by the Shockemole bonnets - they made a big difference in at least three horses I know.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks Lorilu - I appreciate your input. I think I'll cave and buy the Schockemole bonnet .

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”