Saddle flap length - update with picture

svvdressage
Herd Member

Saddle flap length - update with picture

Postby svvdressage » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:59 pm

I have been having a hard time finding a saddle that makes my guy happy. I also buy and sell used saddles on the side to makes extra $. I got in a County WB with a short flap and I threw it on Z just to see how it ran. I ended up riding in it and he was happier undersaddle than he's been in a long time. The only problem is I don't need a short flap. The flap measures 15.25" from the bottom of the stirrup bar. Is 3/4 of an inch going to make that big of difference? It feels comfy but IDK if it's going to make me out of wack in the long run.
Last edited by svvdressage on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Re: Saddle flap length

Postby AmityBee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:45 am

If you buy and sell anyways, what difference does it really make if you keep the saddle for a while and try?

FWIW, I never really thought about flap length, but I just caved and went full custom and when it was time to take my measurements, I was asked if I ride with or without tall boots most of the time. I wanted to know what difference that would make and was told that, If I rode with tall boots all the time they would make the flap a little longer...

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Changing the flap length doesn't change the balance of the saddle at all, so wouldn't put you "out of whack". As long as the tops of your boots aren't catching on the flap it is a question of aesthetics. Have someone snap a picture of you so you can see if it looks ok. I would bet it is fine!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 am

I think as long as the flap doesn't catch on the top of your boot, the flap is long enough. That's how I prefer my saddles. I want as much calf contact as possible, but it seems that many saddle makers make flaps that are excessively long for a the average rider.
Keep calm and canter on.

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:02 pm

I agree with the above post about balance and flap length. The only concern would be whether it was odd looking, if you care and if your boot tops or half chaps get stuck.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Here is the saddle and flap in question. The flap is 14.5" long so not that short
Attachments
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG (151.82 KiB) Viewed 11467 times

Chisamba

Re: Saddle flap length - update with picture

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:20 pm

To me it looks fine. However i do think how it feels is more important.

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:43 pm

It feels fine, and I think it looks ok too but just want someone else's opinion ;) I put my name plate on it yesterday :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 pm

That's exactly how I like mine to fit.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:30 am

My saddler uses the two fingers rule - there should be about two finger's width between the top of your boot and the bottom of the flap.
Yours looks fine to me.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:24 pm

I would not consider two fingers nearly enough. Just dropping your heel a little deeper could get you in range to get pinched between the flap and boot top, and you could never drop the stirrups even a hole. Though maybe she meant without stirrups when the leg is hanging? I'd still want more. Looks like a hand or more in the picture above.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”