Keeping cool in tall boots ?

martha sc
Novice

Keeping cool in tall boots ?

Postby martha sc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 pm

After several years of only trail riding whenever I found a spare, usually rude, often semi lame, :roll: horse to ride, I now have a regular ride on a BIG girl! Very happy with this and a good friend to ride with,(her husbands girl), and a BEAUTIFUL place to ride over. Beyond happy about this. :D
I have been sneaking in improvements in the big girl's way of going and she is now reaching down into my hands STRETCHING at trot through the woods, and lifting and actually feeling light on the ground. All good. I pulled out my old tall boots early this Spring, had been riding in half chaps, and had forgotten how much better a leg I have with the talls!
Now it is getting hot here in SC and I'm wondering how you handle heat and tall boots? I hate to give them up but I don't do heat well at all. Are there cool max boot sox? I know there are britches with thin lower legs, but I am such a difficult fit, I can't wear them. (Very long waisted).
Any ideas?
TIA, Martha

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Keeping cool in tall boots ?

Postby Canyon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Summers here in the high desert get hot but rarely humid. I am most comfortable using light weight merino wool socks with a high nylon content, like these -

https://www.rei.com/product/879246/smar ... cks-womens

My favorites have been SmartWool Fair Isle, but that style seems to have been discontinued. You can find similar in knee highs; I don't mind the crew sock height.

YMMV.

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Unfortunately, humidity here is as bad as the temp. In the summer it will be 98* and 90% humidity. No time is nice, by 8 AM the air feels like someone else has already breathed it. Yesterday I had on thin britches, Smart Wool light weight ankle high hikers and tall boots. at 74* my britches were dark with sweat when I pulled the boots off. And it will only get worse.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:36 am

Check out CoolMax socks. see reviews. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~cool ... wear~d~19/

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks. :)
Do you think tall Cool Max sox under britches would help with heat moisture transport and be cooler than short cool max with nothing added up to my boot tops?

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Thank you for bringing this up Martha. If the spotted one and I make it to the show ring this will be an issue for me. Oh I was spoiled showing Jet for those years. Training in shorts and t shirt and showing in a short dress, at night mostly so no sun!

Wait, you mean I can't show dressage in worn thin jeans a t shirt and my Ariat all terrains? Damn!

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:13 am

I ride in quarter crew height socks like smartwool or darn tough wool socks. I used my basic short hiking socks for tall riding boots and never had an issue. I'm short so my regular length Pikeur breeches almost hit my ankle. Plus I'm a weird boot size and size up to get the wider calf but then the shoe is a bit large so I can get away with a thicker short sock.

I just ordered this Thorlo brand while looking at the cool features. In NJ we get the hot humid summers too and I ride early to beat the heat.

http://www.zappos.com/p/thorlos-light-h ... UHTRhEH4GF

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:33 pm

I don't live in the south but it can still get pretty hot here and I never overheat in my tall boots. I ride in FITS and they have a superfine mesh panel on the lower inside calf. And FITS are also long waisted!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”