Shout out for this product

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Shout out for this product

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 pm

https://shop.horseeducation.com/collect ... rid-halter

I do a lot of ground work due to my tailbone issue. Hopefully, in a few months I can get back to riding but in the meantime...I do a lot of ground work. I do some programs over the internet with Karen Rolhf who includes lots of groundwork. I have the regular old rope halter and a flat nylon halter. The horse will work in either but sometimes she needs a little extra control if she is in one of her I know better, I am going to take over modes.

I saw Karen working a horse in a rope halter that had a metal ring on it instead of the rope loop (for lead rope attachment). The rope loop on a rope halter doesn't always work with the smaller snaps...which I prefer. I don't like a snap that may become a weapon so for me, smaller is better. I started searching and came across this halter. Since I haven't been able to ride, my retail therapy has been greatly curtailed. Not that I couldn't buy saddles and bridles and such but common sense has prevailed and I have just not bought much for the horse. So, seeing this is something I could use now...whip out that CC.

I love this halter. Kyra's is purple :shock:. Maybe she is just being a good girl on her own but she isn't putting a hoof wrong when worked in this halter. I am not even having to use the lead or lunge line. She has been totally tuned into and working off body language. Having that sliding ring on the chin makes for much better alignment. The ring simply slides instead of the whole nose of the halter moving (usually to the off side causing counter bending). I like not having to tie the damned knot and I don't have a length of rope to keep out of her eye. The other thing...it comes in leather or leather breakaway. Growing up in the west, I have always used nylon or rope halters. When I get my medical bills paid, I am going to splurge and order her a leather one with a name plate to keep in my car.

Anyway. I like it :D .
The economy version is available from Amazon and SmartPak.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Shout out for this product

Postby Sue B » Wed May 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh my gosh, that is so tempting! The leather one with name plate is really classy looking. Good thing I'm broke right now. :lol: :lol:

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed May 24, 2017 3:25 pm

They look very nice!

Since I don't, but should do ground work with my crazy mare - what is the benefit of using this type of halter? When we lunge or hand walk ( she was on semi-stall rest) we used her regular halter with a chain. I bought a rope type halter years ago, still sitting in my tack locker unused, lol....

Thanks in advance !

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 pm

The rope noseband would replace the chain. It just gives more control. The horse is less likely to lean or pull on the rope vs a flat halter. I have never used a chain. I find them heavy and cumbersome and for most routine groundwork a chain is overkill not to mention having to change sides of the halter for change of direction? For hand walking a horse on stall rest I would probably get over my dislike. You certainly don't want to be drug around and I think a chain is perfectly fine.
I could do without the nose knots but see why they did them for the construct of the halter. Kyra hasn't reacted to them and trust me, if they were harsh or bothered her, I would know it.

I find it the best of both worlds as far as ease of haltering and the effect for training. I also like that they offer the both nylon and leather. I did a short lunge/groundwork session today and her worst problem was her forward thinking. I don't want to squash that too much. She was stretching nicely and is even starting to offer some top line stretch in canter...I think because she has better alignment and the stretch just comes naturally when she is straight.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Looks good. Maybe I will get one when the ratty old rope halter I've had for ages gives out.

The one thing it wouldn't do is give the bit of bite at the poll for a horse that doesn't want to load in the trailer. Until recently, Obie needed the rope halter to load, then I would put his leather halter on after he was on board.

The leather one looks nice and the purple will go with your color theme. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”