XW Stock/Western saddle suggestions

Threeponies
Greenie

XW Stock/Western saddle suggestions

Postby Threeponies » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:09 am

Hi All, I am desperately searching for saddles to fit a very mutton withered Welsh Cob. I need a saddle to start him in and am looking for something like a half breed that will be virtually impossible to fall out of :) There is a million out there but they are not wide enough. He takes a 4x XW in a Thorowgood Cob saddle if that is any guide. I feel that I am too old to ride him in an English style saddle as he is a real firecracker :) Thanks

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: XW Stock/Western saddle suggestions

Postby demi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Allegheny Mountain Trail saddles. I have an Arab quarter cross mare that has a very wide flat back. I was 57 when she was 3 and I was looking for the same thing you are. Safety saddle haha. I tried several western saddles before I found ATM. First you talk to them (they are very helpful) then you take pics and vids. Then they send out several plastic tree molds and you take more pics and vids. They are very patient to get the perfect fit. The saddles are essentially custom but at price less then many off the selves. Mine was around $1300.
I got the light weight endurance model (21 lbs I think). Padded suede seat, roughout fenders and seat jockeys, the endurance rigging which can adjust easily from full position to 3/4 rigging.

The quality is excellent and I got it in dark chestnut and black which looks nice on my little bay mare. About 6 weeks to get it.

Threeponies
Greenie

Postby Threeponies » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 pm

Thank you for your reply. These look good and what I am looking for. I am in Australia but custom could still be doable. I have never ridden in a saddle like this before, looking at the pictures on the website do the saddles sit you right at the back of the saddle. I was hoping that I would be able to still school him for dressage in the saddle.

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:25 pm

I can ride dressage in my AMT saddle. I got the slim fenders and they are quite free swinging. I’ve always ridden in a 15 inch western saddle but ATM advised to get a 16 inch for this horse. There is plenty of room to sit in the middle and with my stirrups long enough, I don’t sit right at the back of the saddle.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”