Chaps

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Chaps

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

It appears full chaps are not "in." I would like a schooling pair (i.e., NOT $400 Dover custom). Barnstable.com has close-outs on some that would do. I checked State Line, Dover, SmartPak. Any other suggestions?

This stemmed from going to the barn to drop off supplements and deciding to ride. I was wearing yoga/jogging pants, and put on my half chaps. At that moment I decided I HAVE TO HAVE full chaps.

P.S. Don't trot if you aren't wearing a bra. Ask me how I know.

Chisamba

Re: Chaps

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:49 pm

before i ran a riding school, i wore shorts and would put on full chaps. of course at that time I did live in a much hotter climate than NJ. I loved to wear them over bicycle shorts. It really is just about how hard are you to fit? i had to have custom because i am very large in the calf , thigh and arse. I did use to be a sprinter once, and built a lot of sprint muscle which is now flabbier than i like. I believe i got mine at Schneider's saddlery but i do not know if they still carry them

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm

I will check Schneider's. I found a pair at barnstable in the color I've always wanted. I'm wondering about length. Barnstable carries short (30 inseam) and regular (33/34). My pants inseam in 27! Yes, I have stubby legs.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Ah, full chaps; reminds me of years gone by ;) They were great during the summer when wearing nylon shorts and paddock boots and working as a counselor (?sp) at a summer riding camp. Just a quick unzip and you're cool and done! I had the suede, closer fitting ones (no fringe, thank you....) which likely came from State Line Tack back then. Some of the riding instructors had the slick black leather ones but I loved my dark brown suede.

If you're not certain about fit, consider getting two pair, maybe with two different inseams, so you can at least try on each of them. Worth the possible cost/effort of returning the unused pair, IMHO.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 am

Years ago I had a pair custom made and they weren't all that expensive. Maybe someone who does upholstery work could fabricate you a pair. Their sewing machine is probably heavy enough to go through leather. Farriers often have their chaps locally made. Ask yours if he has any leads.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:24 am

I got my last pair from a local tack shop, and wore them religiously in the summers over long bike shorts. Stylish ;)

Check amazon. I found several options by searching for "full chaps."

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 pm

I have a friend that still on occasion wears hers. Last week I saw a lady wearing a pair, I was surprised but they looked really good on her. I think my friend wore hers as she felt they kept her very warm I the winter.

When I rode in shorts, I wore knee socks and paddock boots ! LOL......

If they end up too long, I would think a good shoe repair shop could shorten them for you.

An easier solution would be to keep a pair of breeches at the barn or in your car...

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Hayburner wrote:
An easier solution would be to keep a pair of breeches at the barn or in your car...

That would be far too sensible! :D

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:54 pm

The critical measurement will be the upper thigh where you start at the zipper. Paula send you a reply PM.

Years ago, a friend had a gorgeous custom pair in soft black glove leather with burgundy piping. Loved them! They fit me perfect too! :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:49 pm

This morning I ordered navy suede with tan piping chaps from barnstableriding.com. I like navy on Miss A. I'll post a picture when they arrive. They cost $95 plus shipping. I thought that was reasonable, more reasonable than $400 custom chaps.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Received my chaps and they are beautiful. Fit perfectly. I ordered short but they are still too long. Oh well, I'm sure a shoe repair store can cut them to fit my stubbular legs.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”