Riding britches

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Riding britches

Postby heddylamar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm

A terrible thing happened this weekend -- I discovered a hole in the butt of my Irideon full seat britches! :P

Long and short, I'm on the hunt for new everyday britches, both super lightweight and mid-weight (like the pair I killed). I prefer full seat, but knee patch or extended knee patch is fine. The only non-negotiable is they have to be pull on.

Any suggestions?

PaulaO

Re: Riding britches

Postby PaulaO » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Kerrit's, DevonAire. Good luck, breeches shopping is worse than bathing suit shopping.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 pm

What size are you looking for? I have some Tropical Rider deerskin full seats (sz S) for sale and a few pair of "freecycle" breeches, too. None are show ring quality, just schooling breeches. You can PM me for more info.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:40 am

I bought some Dublin heavier weight tights with the silicon seat. They are not as horribly unflattering as I thought they might be, and are very comfortable. The only downside is that the silicon seat is really very sticky. I might try their lighter weight ones for the summer if they settle down after a few washings.

They were also cheap from Riding Warehouse :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Despising shopping for britches (my Southern is showing) is why I'm in the state I am! The newest pair are at least 12 years old.

Thanks for the ideas :-) I ordered a pair of the Dublin full seat lightweight tights from Amazon — cheaper than at Riding Warehouse. And I'll try on some of the others at Dover this weekend.

I'm hard to fit in anything — aren't we all? The Irideon's were by far the best of the worst years ago, but are far too long-waisted for me ... unless I want my britches to act as a second sports bra. The pull-ons work okay if I fold the waistband several times until it's at waist level.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Since I have switched over to FITS, I have quite a few pairs of Irideone's and kerrits full seats that I no longer wear. I have black, brown, and grey. What size do you need? If your interested I can send pics.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 pm

HeddyLamar, you must be doing some serious riding to put a hole in your full seats! :D

I am not allowed to comment, as I just cleared out my "less loved" riding clothes (we have a horse rescue that has a re-sale shop for tack and eq clothes). And realized that I still have over 15 pairs of full seats :oops: .

I'm not a huge fan of pull-ons, but do have a lightweight full seat Tropical Rider pair that is awesome in the heat. Many people seem to like the Horze pull-ons. They look pretty cute.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Funny enough, the night before discovering the hole, a friend and I were just talking about holes in jeans — knees and inner thighs — and how they're not made for runners. And then the next day I discover the hole in what I though were indestructible britches :lol:

Hayburner — how do you like the FITS?

Mountaineer —the Dublin light weight tights fit great, but if you're looking for really really light weight like I am — summer's are sweltering in the DC area — these are not for you. They will work great for 50-70° riding. I'm hanging on to them because they look and feel super-sticky, which I need for a squirrelly mare!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:36 pm

heddylamar - I LOVE the FITS breeches ! For my first pair, I bought a pair used on Ebay. That way if I hated them, I wouldn't be out a few hundred bucks! They are really comfortable - but, the leather bull seat takes forever to dry. If mine have just some barn dust and a few hairs on them, I just throw them in the dryer on air and put a few damp micro fiber towels in and they look like they were washed. They still get a bit warm in the heat of summer, but so many other brands.

Why are the Irideons so long on you? How tall are you? I am 5'2 and mine fit just right - they hit a little above my waist. Did you get longs by mistake? I get the regular length. Did you know they do come in a short length?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Hayburner wrote:Why are the Irideons so long on you? How tall are you? I am 5'2 and mine fit just right - they hit a little above my waist. Did you get longs by mistake? I get the regular length. Did you know they do come in a short length?

I'm 5'7", so the leg length is perfect on the regulars. It's the crotch to waistband length that's far too long. I have one pair (the newest) that are "low" rise that hit just above my waist. I have to roll the waistbands of the "regular" rise pairs a few times in order for them to hit at my waist, rather than somewhere around my chest.

I have a normal rise, but am slim with no butt or belly, so I expect *some* extra fabric in the mid-section. But, what I get from the Irideon's is just ridiculous :roll: And the Irideon's were a vast improvement over the others I tried back in the day.

sugar plum
Greenie

Postby sugar plum » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:02 am

heddylamar, if you need regular length in breeches, there are still Irideon Cadence full seats available on Adams, Equestrian Collections and Ebay. I love Irideon Cadence but need the Long size. I understand they've been discontinued in everything but black, white and tan. If anyone is looking to sell in good used condition or has another source for new, please PM me.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Sugar plum, I didn't know they discontinued the Cadence style. That's the only style I've ever worn! Love them!

What size do you need? I have many pairs that I no longer wear. I only stopped wearing them as I need the extra grip of leather with my quick mare! :lol:

I was lucky to find some winter ones on sale, I wear those on non-riding days.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Sorry Sugar Plum, none of mine are the long version

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:38 am

If you need a short rise, they aren't pull ons, but the Smartpak Pipers are indecently low for me. It would be worth checking if they do a tight style, because all their low rise regular front zip breeches are REALLY low rise. I've tried several styles and I'm fed up with sending them back, so I've stricken them from my list of choices--shame because many cute colors and patterns.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”