Measuring a bit's thickness

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Measuring a bit's thickness

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm

I have a KK loose ring bit. It was Bob's, purchased over 20 years ago. I know it's too thick for Miss A. How do I measure the thickness? More precisely, WHERE do I measure the thickness? At the end of the bit that connects to the rings, or at the middle of the bit where it connects to the lozenge?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Measuring a bit's thickness

Postby Canyon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:54 pm

For dressage, the USEF Rulebook (DR121) says - "The diameter of the snaffle mouthpiece must
be minimum 10 mm diameter at rings or cheeks of the mouthpiece (exception: for ponies, the diameter may be less than 10 mm)." I think calipers are used for measurement.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 am

If you don't know the thickness, and don't happen to have a pair of calipers lying around, I just took mine with me to the tack store and said "I want one like this but thinner."

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu May 03, 2018 3:22 am

If you have a picture I can probably tell you what size it is.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Canyon wrote:For dressage, the USEF Rulebook (DR121) says - "The diameter of the snaffle mouthpiece must
be minimum 10 mm diameter at rings or cheeks of the mouthpiece (exception: for ponies, the diameter may be less than 10 mm)." I think calipers are used for measurement.

Yes, use calipers right to the inside of the rings. I've eyeballed with a measuring tape too, but obviously not as accurate.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”