Saddle Question Knee Blocks

Silverado
Herd Member

Saddle Question Knee Blocks

Postby Silverado » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Just curious, I have not ridden in a saddle with "outside" knee blocks and a friend has told me how wonderful it is to ride in. I have two dressage saddles that I am very happy with (Albion SLK and McRider Evolution) and have no plans to go saddle searching again. But wondering about other people's experiences. I read several reviews where they say that "short legged" riders love the outside knee blocks but "long legged" riders have a harder time getting their leg position where they want their leg to be. Interesting enough, my friend is short legged and I am long legged.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Re: Saddle Question Knee Blocks

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:29 pm

I have very long legs, in particular a long femur. I have external blocks on my saddle and absolutely love them.
They have saved my bacon more times than I care to count. Mine are the short, high blocks. I have found that
long legged riders don't do well with the long blocks as they tend to position the rider in a fork seat.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:15 am

OH....I did not want to read that.....I do not need another saddle, I do not need another saddle, I do not need another saddle.....................................

....okay...I will try and test ride in one ....I may have some saddles to sell if I fall in love with external blocks.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:08 am

I have used saddle of both types. I think the fit of saddle is more significant than type of block.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:22 am

Velcro. For me that's the way to go. When I was saddle shopping I did try some with external blocks and I was surpised that even with the rather large blocks they seemed to work for me (short, big thighs *sigh*). BUT I've had velcro blocks on my last two saddles and I don't want to go back!!!

My horse is very wide with a round barrel and I have big thighs, unfortunately. Most saddles of the rack come with knee rolls that just don't work for that combination. So, in my Sommer saddle I just got rid of the (velcro) blocks and the Philimar I have now came with smaller blocks that I have velcroed to just the right spot.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:59 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:I have very long legs, in particular a long femur. I have external blocks on my saddle and absolutely love them.
They have saved my bacon more times than I care to count. Mine are the short, high blocks. I have found that
long legged riders don't do well with the long blocks as they tend to position the rider in a fork seat.

Yes, I have long legs and always have issues with not enough room behind blocks, whether external or under the flap. For a while I had a Black Country Vinici with the standard long external block they put on it, which is more shaped than many. Anyway, it's a smaller block, and my knee was always popping over it, so I had one built with a 1.5" forward flap and a thigh block that ends just above my knee and I love it because I can keep my leg very much on the horse without the bulk of the flap coming up over the block.

OTOH, I have my current horse, who is on the smaller side for my leg, in an older Black Country that has a smaller regular knee roll. That is actually working out to be a bit of an advantage in compensating for my leg length vs. her barrel size because there is a little more saddle between my knee and the horse, if that makes sense.

One of these days I'd like to try a Hennig, as their external blocks look like they have more of a forward angle to them, so I think they would work better with a longer leg. Many of the Customs look similar.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm

How the saddle fits you and the horse is far more important than the type of knee block IMO.

I have a long femur, and an old arthritic hip injury, so most dressage saddles with deep seats and knee blocks are flat-out painful. After riding in a bunch, I ended up with a Laser 747. The knee blocks are relatively nominal for a dressage saddle and narrow enough they don't interfere even when I'm riding in shorter stirrups. And while the seat is a bit big for me (deliberate choice, for my confirmation), it isn't very deep and is less constricting for my hip because of the extra room. It's a bit like sitting on a comfy couch. I never expected to be really comfortable in a dressage saddle because of my hip and legs, but the Laser has taken the place of the jumping saddles I prefer for long trail rides.

I rode in a ton of saddles to find the right one.
Last edited by heddylamar on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:22 am

Here's my saddle. As you can see, there is plenty of room for your knee to go where it's comfortable.
Attachments
15390910_10207592365543031_777817715440106325_n.jpg
15390910_10207592365543031_777817715440106325_n.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 10022 times

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:18 pm

I've never tried them - I'm still using my Wintec Isabell with the Velcro blocks under the flap. When I start saddle searching I may have to give the external blocks a try.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 pm

Silverado wrote:Just curious, I have not ridden in a saddle with "outside" knee blocks and a friend has told me how wonderful it is to ride in. I have two dressage saddles that I am very happy with (Albion SLK and McRider Evolution) and have no plans to go saddle searching again. But wondering about other people's experiences. I read several reviews where they say that "short legged" riders love the outside knee blocks but "long legged" riders have a harder time getting their leg position where they want their leg to be. Interesting enough, my friend is short legged and I am long legged.

I have a long thigh, but I love my movable internal blocks. I tend to have a saddle that has a more forgiving flap. For me, one key is having a large enough seat size so I don't get all smushed up against the blocks. I tend to like a medium knee roll, too large= jammed in.

I personally wouldn't change saddles over just this one thing. Course, I also use a jump saddle prob 50% of the time, so I can adjust to different leg lengths and conditions fairly readily. Its something to think about though, I never thought of the external blocks like that.

I tend to also like a more conservative look- much like Micklem bridles my eye just isn't used to these things.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Hayburner wrote:I've never tried them - I'm still using my Wintec Isabell with the Velcro blocks under the flap. When I start saddle searching I may have to give the external blocks a try.

I don't find the Isabel and the Pro with the giant thigh blocks all that different. I think I'd have to come pretty far up out of the saddle to have any need for such big thigh blocks, but do like knowing they're there if I need them.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”