Micklem bridle

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Micklem bridle

Postby Tsavo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:09 pm

What with the talk of monocrown (I had to look that up), I have been considering buying a Micklem bridle from a friend. I like the look but is it just a built in flash (plus bizarrely a dropped throatlatch)?

I don't ride with the flash lately (last several months) in my quest not to jam my horse in his rehab but have in the past and might again in the future.

musical comedy

Re: Micklem bridle

Postby musical comedy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Tsavo, I have the large size Micklem that I used on my retired gelding. I loved it for him. I have the higher quality one, the Diamente. https://www.doversaddlery.com/mcklm-dmn ... gJSpPD_BwE

I've been planning on putting it up on ebay to sell, but never got around to it. It's like new and just needs a light cleaning. I would be happy to send it to you to try for just the cost of postage. If you like it, it's yours dirt cheap. My mare takes a small head size.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Wow thanks MC. I will take you up on that kind offer if I can determine a large will fit him. He is a conehead. How do I measure him?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:45 am

It is more like a drop than a flash. Also, the bit is attached at the nose and, so the bit is more stable and there is probably some action on the nose.

I started Annabelle in Micklem, just switched over to a PS Sweden Nirak, which works the same, just a little more elegant design. It is not a throatlatch, it's a bowl strap. ;)
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 am

I think SF means jowel strap (autocorrect :P ). I tried Kyra in the same PS of Sweden bridle and she is doing great in it. It moves all the straps away from her molars. She is very fleshy inside her mouth and even a French cavesson, pressed all that fleshy stuff into her teeth. It is very hard to find a drop that adjusts for the smaller headed horse and I think the jowel strap does help support the jaw. Her mouth is much quieter and none of the two straps are tight at all.

I have tried both sizes of Micklem on her and neither one fit her quite right. She is full size in some places and cob size in others. The PS of Sweden is a cob and fits well although the jowel and drop straps are just long enough plus this bridle has more adjustment over the nose.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Yes it is a drop and not a flash. I found the measurements of the pieces on the page MC posted. I guess I will measure those areas on my horse. I think he is probably going to be in regular range and not the large but if the large will fit I want to buy it.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 pm

I also just ordered the PS Sweden NIrak as I like the description and saw positive reviews. Now hoping it will fit my guy - purchased cob size the same as his current bridle and halter.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:58 am

Josette wrote:I also just ordered the PS Sweden NIrak as I like the description and saw positive reviews. Now hoping it will fit my guy - purchased cob size the same as his current bridle and halter.

Let us know how you like it!

I would like to get one for my 2 yo, but can't justify it since Pickle's brand new Fairfax looks like it will fit her, and no one seems to want to buy it. Not that she needs a "real" bridle for at least another year, but of course I'm thinking about it now. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”