SeamsRight pretty much out of business

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

SeamsRight pretty much out of business

Postby musical comedy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm really bummed. I've always bought my pads from them. Nobody makes anything similar. I called today to order my new yearly quantity. She said they have moved and after 35 years in business, they've downsized. They are booked with orders through the end of the year and they no longer make the kind of pad I bought.

I like a thinner pad with a soft cotton backing. I like a pad that is 26 inches long over the back and they are hard to find. I wash my pads after each ride because my horse isn't always clean when I put it on ( :oops: ). So, pads wear out quickly with daily washing in hot water.

Any suggestions on pads that are quilted, lightweight, with soft backing?

silk
500 post plus club

Re: SeamsRight pretty much out of business

Postby silk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Mattes, they do baby pads. I think they're called ultra light or something.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 pm

I also purchased all my pads from SeamsRight and wash after each ride. They are well made and have lasted a long time - a few worn out now.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:28 pm

PRI pads have the softer lining. They're available in different weights and sizes, so you might find something you like.

I'm a convert to LeMieux pads, but it sounds like they might be a little thicker than you want. The mesh ones are pretty soft on the underside, and mine seem to be wearing well so far (my main pads are the half-lined merino numnahs, I just have the mesh ones for my jumping saddle).
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Has anyone tried the Ogilvy Dressage baby pad? I'm looking into those.

SF, I've tried a PRI pad once and sent it back. It was very stiff. I didn't realize they came in different weights.

I'm trying to understand why people like the thick pads (especially the ones lined in sheepskin). Doesn't it change the fit of the saddle? I like to ride in the same pads all the time so as not to disturb saddle fit. Thick pads also make the saddle a little easier to move.

Silk, I haven't found the Mattes light baby pads and I've googled and looked at their site.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I've got an Ogilvy pad for showing-- I really liked it for my big guy but it's much too long for Kiwi (and probably also Queso). I'll check whether it's the baby or "dressage profile" version when I get home.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52 am

musical comedy wrote:I'm trying to understand why people like the thick pads (especially the ones lined in sheepskin). Doesn't it change the fit of the saddle? I like to ride in the same pads all the time so as not to disturb saddle fit. Thick pads also make the saddle a little easier to move.

I ride in the same pad all the time - I have 4 identical pads plus a square white one with the same type of lining for shows. ;)

I don't find that the merino adds a lot of bulk - my saddles are not as thickly flocked as some, so I think that makes up for it. My saddler was very happy with my pad choice, and when we saw her today, she checked the fit with the pad. Maybe I'm anthropomorphizing, but I think the sheepskin feels nicer on their backs. I wouldn't want to add any extra bulk though. I think the trend of a pad plus a thick sheepskin-backed half pad is overkill.
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:11 pm

This looks like a nice pad that SF mentioned - maybe without the wool bulk added.

https://www.countryandstable.com/lemieu ... on-square/

I had used Mattes pads in the past for trail riding and some ring riding. However, used on my TB and not my mutton withered pony. I did have a saddle fitting issue with the Mattes pads with the pony. Saddle Fitter said I needed to decide what pads to use as she would adjust saddle for it - so I got rid of the Mattes and had her adjust saddle for SR pads.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:31 pm

High ratings on this pad. However - looks like AP measurements and not long for dressage.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ogilv ... JhEALw_wcB

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ogilv ... -pad-11705

Longer version for dressage. Smartpak good about returns.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Josette wrote:High ratings on this pad. However - looks like AP measurements and not long for dressage.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ogilv ... JhEALw_wcB

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ogilv ... -pad-11705

Longer version for dressage. Smartpak good about returns.
The first one (baby pad) is the one I'm considering. White is on back order, so I haven't order yet. The sizing is iffy. There are some comments that say it worked on an 18 inch saddle. The other thing is the baby pad doesn't have girth loops, so could slide. The profile pad is probably too thick for my taste.

With the seamsright, I bought the Lite Box Quilt. I loved it. I have one still unused that I saved for showing. LOL, showing that will never happen again so I may as well use it.

With respect to sheepskin, I bought a sheepskin cover that I use on my crank bridle rather than the chin pad that came with it. When that sheepskin gets sweaty, it is a mess and takes a long time to dry if you rinse it off. What happens to those sheepskin saddle pads when the horses sweats? How to you keep it supple and get it dry in the humid weather?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:48 pm

musical comedy wrote:With respect to sheepskin, I bought a sheepskin cover that I use on my crank bridle rather than the chin pad that came with it. When that sheepskin gets sweaty, it is a mess and takes a long time to dry if you rinse it off. What happens to those sheepskin saddle pads when the horses sweats? How to you keep it supple and get it dry in the humid weather?

The LeMieux merino ones aren't actually on a sheepskin backing, so there's no need to worry about the leather care. We don't deal with humidity here, but I just wash mine every 2-3 rides. If I can't get around to it, I just brush them with a stiff brush to restore the pile.

I think the recommendation for washing real sheepskin is to use Leather Therapy, just like for leather breeches. I just have sheepskin girth covers, and just wash them with my merino pads and they aren't stiff. Maybe I'm not making my horse sweat enough. :P
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:52 pm

musical comedy wrote:
With the seamsright, I bought the Lite Box Quilt. I loved it. I have one still unused that I saved for showing. LOL, showing that will never happen again so I may as well use it.

I just starting using my white pads for everyday too, and if a miracle happens and I decide to go to a show again then I'll buy a new pad--and a new bridle and new breeches and maybe even a new coat and helmet, too.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm

I love my sheepskin pads. I don't wash after every ride but will flip it over to air dry no trouble even here in hot and humid south. Just bought leather therapy to wash mine in to keep them soft. Bought my last one from amazon of all places! I like the shaped pads during the summer here. Depending on the horse as to what thickness of pad I ride in. I use BOT pads in the winter time, square ones.

ironbessflint
Greenie

Postby ironbessflint » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 pm

musical comedy wrote: The other thing is the baby pad doesn't have girth loops, so could slide. The profile pad is probably too thick for my taste.

Nope, it's just as thin as the baby pads! I have both and they're identical other than straps and dimensions.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:14 pm

musical comedy wrote:Silk, I haven't found the Mattes light baby pads and I've googled and looked at their site.

I think they might just be called "light" quilt. It's about 1/2 the thickness of the regular quilt (I have both types and prefer the light ones, as I only use them over a half pad to keep the saddle panels clean).

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Silk, is it this one? If so, have you seen it in person? It looks fine but it's hard to tell how thick it is.

https://worldequestrianbrands.com/produ ... -only-pad/

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 am

musical comedy wrote:Silk, is it this one? If so, have you seen it in person? It looks fine but it's hard to tell how thick it is.

https://worldequestrianbrands.com/produ ... -only-pad/

Nope. That looks like the standard quilt. This one is a light (the one you linked talked about light colour, not quilt weight): https://worldequestrianbrands.com/produ ... quare-pad/
or the eurofit: https://worldequestrianbrands.com/produ ... rofit-pad/

I can get you a photo comparison of standard to light on the weekend when I am home again. I have both.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Thank you Silk! That's what I want. Ok now that I've found what I want, the World Equestrian Brands site won't allow me to put it in the basket.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I have one oglivy and absolutely love it! My mare is 15 or 15.1 hands, has a short back and I ride in a 17.5 inch seat - it fits her fine. They wash beautifully! The underside stays nice and soft - almost like a flannel material. I like that you can get many configurations when it comes to size and color....

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Regarding the Oglivy sliding - I have never had mine slide/move under my saddle. I think the type of fabric they use on the underside helps stabilize it.....

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:31 pm

musical comedy wrote:Thank you Silk! That's what I want. Ok now that I've found what I want, the World Equestrian Brands site won't allow me to put it in the basket.

The few times I've spoken with them on the phone, they have been lovely and friendly and quite accommodating..

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Beorn wrote:The few times I've spoken with them on the phone, they have been lovely and friendly and quite accommodating..
Just spoke on the phone and ordered 1 pad to see if I like it and will order more if I do. Yes, they were very nice on the phone! That site doesn't work for ordering though.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm

that's a bummer about the site not working! I've only ever ordered from the outlet side of the site :lol: and haven't had issues. It's been a while, though....

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks for posting that site, I may need to try one out! You can never have too many saddle pads.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:33 pm

No!!! I’ve loved these pads. Do you have any further info? Are they closing down for good after the end of the year?

I usually got the luxury box quilt, did they say what they are still making/stocking if still carrying on with business? I’m tempted to place a mass order even if I don’t get it until 2019...

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Aleuronx wrote:No!!! I’ve loved these pads. Do you have any further info? Are they closing down for good after the end of the year?

I usually got the luxury box quilt, did they say what they are still making/stocking if still carrying on with business? I’m tempted to place a mass order even if I don’t get it until 2019...
She didn't say she was closing down, only downsizing and booked until the end of the year. I don't know about the Luxury Box Quilt because I buy the Lite Box Quilt which she isn't making anymore. I remember vaguely her saying she still made the Luxury one and the schooling flannel. Yeah, I was going to do a mass order too. What a shame. When Equissentials went out of business that broke my heart too. Nobody makes breeches to fit me but them.
You could trying calling her. You'll probably get the recorder but I was lucky and she picked up after numerous rings.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Hmm, I’ll have to give a try after checking my pads for size at the barn. I have a stack of pads but pretty much only use my seamsright ones it seems! I want to make sure if I can place an order I have the right specs for them right then.

Is the phone number on the website still current? Looks like I pretty much just emailed my orders in the past but perhaps calling is better at this point. Thanks for the info!

I managed to have a double bridle and a spare set of snaffle reins made by Jerry before he closed up shop. I’m thanking my lucky stars and hoping it will fit my new horse when the time comes for her in the coming years. It cost a fortune but was well worth it. Which is why I’m not adverse to dropping some $$$ if a similiar thing is happening for Seamsright...

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Is the phone number on the website still current? Looks like I pretty much just emailed my orders in the past but perhaps calling is better at this point. Thanks for the info!
Yes, I phoned their local number, not the 800 number. I didn't email because I did not want to put my credit card number in an email and otherwise she would have to call me and I am not easy to reach by phone (don't carry a cell). If you've ordered from her before, she will have you size, etc. in her file.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Spoke with them this morning. They don't have all their machines set up yet and will be likely 'going back to basics' on the options available. Right now they are only doing the basic flannel and a lite pad w/4 inch diagonal quilting. Basically they only have their 'simple' machine going for right now.

We talked for a bit and she did say when they get more settled they might be adding back in the heavier pads, aka the luxury box quilt I'd be interested in. They also have a new website that will be going up as well.

They are not taking any orders right now to get through the bulk of what they have in cue until the end of the year. I'll be getting back in touch with her in January after the holidays are over to see where they're at. In the meantime I'll be taking my last white pad out of regular rotation to save for shows just in case.

Love to hear how you end up like the World Equestrian Brands pad...

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:47 am

I have also recently been on the search for a lighter weight pad. All the pads at the local tack shop seem so...puffy. I finally got a LeMieux that seemed OK (but I have nto tried it yet), and a lighter weight PRI. Have you tried the Weatherbeeter?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:40 am

I tried the dressage light flannel mattes pad yesterday. It is very thin and just what I wanted. However, it slipped back quickly and I had to dismount shortly after I started riding to fix it. That said, I do have a problem with saddle fit which causes some of that but the Seams Right stayed put the best. I haven't tried the Weatherbeeter. I suspect most pads have a lot of puffy. Seems most people like that. The mattes cost me $100. At these prices, I can't keep buying pads that don't work out.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:40 pm

LeMieux pads are thinner, and well made. Toklat too. They both take a lot of abuse but daily hot washes is a lot to ask! :lol:

I haven’t found PRI pads as durable, nor Schockemohle. Eskadron are hit/miss, and I only have one EquiTheme and it’s very thick. I have a Seamsright pad to compare to as well!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Well good news, at least for me! I finally got back around to calling again. I have 2 luxury box quilt pads on order. I was so excited that I forgot to ask about other pad types Musical Comedy. It’s worth a call if you haven’t found a suitable replacement.

They have pared down options for sure. I usually got the squared back corner and have to compromise with rounded and it sounds like colors/bindings are limited but I just got plain white ones. But huzzah!! I can’t wait for them to come in.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed May 08, 2019 1:28 pm

My pads arrived and I forgot to update, oops! They are the same high quality as previous ones I have and I am quite happy with them. It took a bit to arrive but they were waiting on a flannel delivery.

I'll likely wait a bit and place another order to be stocked up. I'm hoping as time goes on maybe she'll add more options back in, I do prefer the squared corner.

pad small.jpg
pad small.jpg (218.68 KiB) Viewed 20988 times

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 pm

silk wrote:
musical comedy wrote:Silk, I haven't found the Mattes light baby pads and I've googled and looked at their site.

I think they might just be called "light" quilt. It's about 1/2 the thickness of the regular quilt (I have both types and prefer the light ones, as I only use them over a half pad to keep the saddle panels clean).
I don't know if Silk stills visits here, but I really want to thank her for telling me about this light quilt from Mattes. I really love this pad more than words can say. I ordered two more and they just arrived today. They did not have them in stock, and it took 6 weeks to get them. These pads wash up like an old cotton hankie. All dirt is gone, unlike the SeamsRight pads that always stay stained from sweaty/oily dirt. They also do not slip at all. I have the european cut which really looks nice on my short backed mare. There is one little problem, and that is that during shedding season, the loose hair really sticks to the pad.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 am

Musical Comedy, you're welcome! I love my Mattes pads, too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:39 am

Do either of you buy your Mattes pads from Hufglocken? Their prices seem good, and a week or two ago they were doing 20% off, which even applied to the custom pads. Restrained myself until I have at least one rideable horse, but it was hard considering I could get sheepskin numnahs custom for anout the same price as my Lemieux pads.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Musical. For hair that is sticking, Haas makes a rubber hand held gadget (Smartpak sells them) that works like magic to remove stubborn hair. I use it on all my saddle pads and clothes now. I was using my old sweeeper but I think the suction was a bit much and I ended up with a tiny hole.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am

Hayburner wrote:Musical. For hair that is sticking, Haas makes a rubber hand held gadget (Smartpak sells them) that works like magic to remove stubborn hair. I use it on all my saddle pads and clothes now. I was using my old sweeeper but I think the suction was a bit much and I ended up with a tiny hole.
Are you talking about this thing:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/haas- ... rush-19739
If so, I bought it and it immediately ripped the underside of my soft mattes pad. Those things are like razor blades.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:08 pm

musical comedy wrote:[Are you talking about this thing:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/haas- ... rush-19739
If so, I bought it and it immediately ripped the underside of my soft mattes pad. Those things are like razor blades.

Maybe it's this one? https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Haas_Es ... HEHRB.html

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Ah-ha, thanks. I didn't see this one on smartpak which is the only place I looked. I'll try this one. For some reason, my horse is shedding now in the fall.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”