Girth sizing/placement question.

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Girth sizing/placement question.

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:07 pm

I had been using a Wintec girth with my Wintec Isabell, but since I like my Thinline saddle pad so much, I bought the contoured girth to try.

I bought the same size as my Wintec, 26. Well, this girth has a lot of leather and Thinline above where you buckle it. This girth comes right up to the edge of my saddle pad, I can almost tuck it under the pad. My Wintec sat a few inches below my pad.

I'm wondering if I should have bought the 24 due to the extra leather? As for holes, I take this up 3 holes on both sides.

Maybe I can have a shoemaker cut an inch or more off the ends and then it would fit below the pad and still have leather above the buckle area.

Is my girth too long/big? Can I make it work by having some of it cut off?

Thanks!

StraightForward

Re: Girth sizing/placement question.

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:04 pm

I shoot for having the girth end right below the saddle pad, so I'd say you're fine. I'm always surprised to see International level riders riding with several inches of billet above the girth - seems like it would cut into the horse, but maybe they need the buckles lower to avoid interference with the leg?
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:40 pm

That's why I'm asking, looking at photos mine is really high compared to others. Some end middle belly area :shock:

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 pm

I like the girths to come quite high so the buckles aren't resting behind their elbows. As long as it's not bunching up your saddle cloth or getting in the way of your leg, I think it should be right?

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Flight wrote:I like the girths to come quite high so the buckles aren't resting behind their elbows. As long as it's not bunching up your saddle cloth or getting in the way of your leg, I think it should be right?

This is what I do, too.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Well it isn't bunching up my pad and it doesn't interfere with my saddle or leg so I guess I'll just leave it on the high side.

My mare does seem to like this girth better than the Wintec, maybe she also likes it up higher. Time will tell. :)

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”