Best way to clean very dirty tack

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Best way to clean very dirty tack

Postby blob » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 am

I have some tack that needs a DEEP cleaning. Lots of sweat, grime, dirt, and sweat crystals. Yikes! :shock:

I've tried effax cleaner, leather therapy wash, leather CPR, and the passier saddle soap. all of these are cleaners I've liked in the past, but this tack is just too full of gunk. And it seems that the conditioning aspects of these soaps are not really cutting through all that is built up.

I know some folks clean tack with an ammonia and water solution--this kind of terrifies me.

Any suggestions on a tack product or a home made solution or even a technique that will help me cut through the mess?

piedmontfields

Re: Best way to clean very dirty tack

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:47 am

This sounds like it might be a "Dawn"/dishwashing detergent moment, followed by good leather care products. Hot water helps, too.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:08 am

Second the dawn (or equivalent soap) and hot water. You're not doing it daily; it won't damage your tack.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:44 am

I add a bit of vinegar to warm water and third using dawn and a toothbrush. Only once a year. Then go to your leather preserving products to condition and oil.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Dawn it is! Thanks everyone.

I think it'll just need that one good dawn cleaning and then I can condition/oil and go back to normal leather care.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:49 pm

When you do get it all cleaned up - if you can get it in the sun to dry that would help kill any mold that may be down deep in the leather.

I like Leather Theraphy for conditioning

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 am

Try Castile soap. It cuts through almost anything, but is gentle enough to use as a facial cleanser.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Would Orivis work?

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:46 pm

When my reins are just SO grungy.... I soak them in water for a while to soften up the gunk. Then use a nylon net type scrubby and saddle soap. Dry and DEEP condition.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I like Higher standards leather care soap, it tends to clean deeper than many other brands. It doesn't foam as much, it's a soap not a conditioner. It helps it clean better, if you ask me.

I would not use vinegar- it discolors tack- try on a very small area 1st. Ammonia and vinegar are more for mold, right?

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 pm

PSA: If you're going to use an all-in-one cleaner and conditioner, wipe off the excess grunge either before or after! :cry: I've been saddle-shopping, which means looking for deals on used saddles. Received one from the UK that looked lovely and glowing and well-conditioned in the pictures, but turned out to feature years of slapped on soap and waxy conditioner. Buffalo leather is also terrific at storing nasties. I refilled a 4L container of warm/hot water 6 times and feel like I need to do more. Thanks to the hints here, I used dish soap and also resorted to Simple Green in desperation. It no longer feels like a greased pig to handle, at least. And you can see the stitching, too!

Of course after all that, it doesn't fit. Anyone looking for a Black Country Vinici? :lol:

blob

Postby blob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Beorn wrote:PSA: If you're going to use an all-in-one cleaner and conditioner, wipe off the excess grunge either before or after! :cry: I've been saddle-shopping, which means looking for deals on used saddles. Received one from the UK that looked lovely and glowing and well-conditioned in the pictures, but turned out to feature years of slapped on soap and waxy conditioner. Buffalo leather is also terrific at storing nasties. I refilled a 4L container of warm/hot water 6 times and feel like I need to do more. Thanks to the hints here, I used dish soap and also resorted to Simple Green in desperation. It no longer feels like a greased pig to handle, at least. And you can see the stitching, too!

Of course after all that, it doesn't fit. Anyone looking for a Black Country Vinici? :lol:

oh no! What size is it? I will be saddle shopping soon....

I also went with the dish soap. I think my saddle was also suffering from years of slapped on soap + sweat and all sorts of other nastiness. I did one thorough cleaning and will likely need to do one more before i'm happy. I'm going to use castille soap for round 2. Waiting for a warmer day so my fingers don't freeze in the process!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Saddle soap scum is so nasty. I always get weird looks when I turn the hose on my tack after scrubbing, but there's no residual scum!

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 pm

blob wrote:
oh no! What size is it? I will be saddle shopping soon....

I also went with the dish soap. I think my saddle was also suffering from years of slapped on soap + sweat and all sorts of other nastiness. I did one thorough cleaning and will likely need to do one more before i'm happy. I'm going to use castille soap for round 2. Waiting for a warmer day so my fingers don't freeze in the process!

oo.. Castile soap! :idea:

I've currently got a collection of saddles ranging from 17"-18", mostly MW to a generous MW. My horse seems to have settled on the second-most expensive one (*sigh*). Thank goodness because I would never have lived down owning something with sting-ray leather on the cantle! Private message me if you'd like to see if something I've got might be compatible with what you're looking for.

And heddy - yeah, always fun to watch the reactions of new people at the barn when we hose off the $$$ anatomic girths in the summer.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”