Horse-proof blankets

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Horse-proof blankets

Postby heddylamar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:36 am

Are there any blankets that can survive a rambunctious 5yo?? In the past year (I'm not including blanket destruction that happened at Mom's or the trainer's farm), Maia has exacted a toll on her wardrobe.

- ripped original sheet
- broke buckle and tore fleece cooler
- ripped the brand new replacement sheet in the exact same way and place (not a construction problem) within a week of wear
- three-point tear in brand new mid-weight on the first wear!!
- ripped heavy weight (which she was wearing while sheets and mid-weight were repaired ...)
- simple rip in mid-weight the second time she wore it
- removed, then killed an insulated blanket liner (HOW?)

Fortunately, these are Schneiders, and they have some form of warrantee, but I fully expect them to start laughing at me when I call for replacement parts, etc. for Maia. Meanwhile, Anzia's Schneiders last 6+ years until either the lining completely fails, or I can't keep them waterproof.

Short of a New Zealand rug -- which I've given thought to getting -- are there any blankets that are more than single wear?

StraightForward

Re: Horse-proof blankets

Postby StraightForward » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:24 am

Have you tried the Shires StormCheetas? They are often on sale, and about 2000D. They seem to be really tough, but my horses are not too hard on blankets, so I haven't put that to the test just yet.

I feel your pain though. Obie was a blanket destroyer until he was 6-7. Now I have at least 3 medium weight blankets for him because I got in the habit of buying extras, but one day he just quit with the destruction. I hope Maia does the same for you soon.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Schneuders have a high grade and lower grade. I assume tlou have the highest grade with the warranty.

I've had good luck with Shires too.

Good fit. Snug buckles all a snaps turned in, but a blanket destroyer is complicated lol

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm lucky in that both my horses were easy on their blankets - they sure got muddy but not tears, rips, etc. I have always used Rambo's.
I do have a couple of the Schneiders - but, I don't like the way for some reason I cant get that adjusta neck correct.

What about Smartpak - don't they have a lifetime warranty? The ones I've seen look very nice.

I'd probably buy good used blankets until your youngster out grows this.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Hayburner wrote:I'd probably buy good used blankets until your youngster out grows this.

With my dislike of tossing money in the trash, Maia's going to look like a patchwork quilt until she outgrows this stage! I've got a sewing machine, patches, and seam waterproofing :D

Both the replacement sheet and mid-weight blanket I purchased are 1680D. Everything else is hand-me-downs from my old eventer who passed away a few years ago. I checked out the Shires. They look great and are right in my price range, but at 1200D, I'm not sure they'll fare much better!

Thanks for the pep talk. Hopefully she outgrows this stage soon.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Rambo blankets.

I switched to Rambo Wugs after replacing several blankets, including Schneiders and Weatherbeetas. I have bought some of them used on Facebook and some on sale, never full price (or >$200). I actually downgraded the first Rambo I bought, a used heavy weight Wug, to a backup blanket because he'd worn it so long the weight/insulation wasn't feeling as good or fluffy. It's still waterproof.

I have on SmartPak Ultimate Combo with the integrated neck. I haven't used it yet but got it in case he needed a full neck due to weather and knowing they'd replace it when he does destroy it (my imagination thinks he'll likely pull it over his head using the neck over and put a hoof through it).

For Maia's current blanket, get one of the stiff Kensington Fly Sheets to put over it. Those are supposed to be pretty good at deflecting teeth.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 am

I second the Rambo blankets.

BTW, it's not just about the denier it's about the material as well. The Rambos are "just" 1000D but the balistic nylon makes all the difference!

My boy is hard on his blankets as well, he's playing hard turned out in a group of geldings. He does loose hair and even has small tears in the lining from being bitten during turnout but the outer fabric of his Rambo is still going strong!

I used Rhinos in the past, they are 1000D poly. They don't really stand a chance. They are usually gone after a season or two... *sigh*

*edited to add*

Bucas is the only other brand I can think of right now, made with the same durable balistic nylon. I don't like their cuts and lining as much though.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 pm

The Stormcheeta is 1680 or 2000D Ballistic nylon.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/shire ... nket-13699

The Stormbreaker is 1200D. I have a sheet and medium in that line for Tesla, and they do not seem as durable.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Lol. I went straight to Shires site and couldn’t find any 2000D blankets, but I didn’t check any with neck covers. I will keep those and Rambos in mind.

For the moment, Schneiders is sending yet another replacement (within the 1 yr warrantee period), so I’ll give it another go.

The midweight is the ballistic nylon, but the rain sheet Mom purchased (and then I got the warrantee replacement for) is only ripstop. I’ll try a Shire or Rambo when the sheet meets its inevitable demise.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:13 am

How about one of those plastic mesh fly sheets over the top (Kensington, I think is the brand? plaid, hideous, indestructible.)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 pm

tlkidding wrote:For Maia's current blanket, get one of the stiff Kensington Fly Sheets to put over it. Those are supposed to be pretty good at deflecting teeth.

Moutaineer wrote:How about one of those plastic mesh fly sheets over the top (Kensington, I think is the brand? plaid, hideous, indestructible.)

I am not ignoring the fly sheet idea ... but that might be a bit too much to ask of my awesome, patient, and long-suffering BO at the moment. Maia’s already regularly atop the bad list as she traverses the terrible fives.* Then Maia went and bit the BO on the butt the other night whilst picking stalls :evil: :evil: :evil:

*To be fair, there's a 15+ year age and maturity gap between Maia and the rest of our small herd, and she's been struggling with testing boundaries the past 2 months.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:26 am

SmartPak has their Ultimate high necks on clearance - there is a 10 year warranty: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/smart ... 2CALTHr9zo
Keep calm and canter on.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:32 am

My guy rips at the front of his rugs unless he has a Bossys Bib on. They seem to fit fine, but for some reason he hates to feel them binding his shoulders? I don’t know. With a bib, he’s fine. Worth a try!

He also has a sternum that sticks out so I adjust the bottom buckle tighter than the top chest one of that makes sense?

And lastly, use Smarypack rugs with the 10 year guarantee!!!!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:26 pm

I bought a SmartPak blanket for Tio this year after making him go without last year. He completely shredded his Rambo the day temps climbed above freezing and hasn't had a blanket since. We'll see how good the guarantee is.

(When I say shredded, I mean it. The largest pieces left were no more than 6" x 10", most were considerably smaller. The fill was scattered over half the pasture, and I never did find all the buckles and webbing. No sign of any trauma on him or in the pasture, and no sweat on him like you would see if he had panicked. He clearly just had a grand old time shredding his blanket.!

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Have you ever tried putting a neck cradle on your horse? I first saw one when working with race horses in college, they use them to keep them from chewing on their leg wraps. My gelding was a blanket-killer as a youngster, and I couldn't afford to keep replacing blankets! They can put their head up and down to eat and drink but cannot reach the blanket. It looks like they might get it caught on something and kill themselves, but my guy is a rubber( as in rubbing on fence posts etc) has been in hot wire, welded wire, and pipe corrals and has never caught it up in anything. He finally grew out of it, at almost age 15, although in retrospect it has been a few years since he has done damage to his blanket. Could save you lots of $$$$$! If you don't find one at Dover or Schneider's try a company that specializes more in racing equipment, like Chick's. Best of luck!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 pm

Ooof. Tio!!! Rotten horse! Sounds like he was bored. Hopefully SmartPak comes through for you!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”