French Link - Bean Size

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

French Link - Bean Size

Postby Hayburner » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 pm

I have been using a Korsteel French link -Eggbutt bit on my mare.

I am trialing a Neue Schule French link-Eggbutt and noticed that the bean sizes are dramatically different.

The Neue Schule is smaller than the Korsteel.

Both are 16mm bits - 5 inch

Does the size of the bean matter? I would guess that it does, but in what way does the size effect the horse?

Thanks!

Chisamba

Re: French Link - Bean Size

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:01 pm

It is my opinion, which seems to disagree with conventional wisdom, that the size of the link is less significant if the bit fits the same.

If the bit is a little wider than the mouth of the horse, the rings move closer together with the action of the reins, and in that case the bit shape over the tongue changes.

However if the rings if the bit are held apart by the jaw, and do not get closer to each other with the action of the rein, the size of the link is less significant.

I took out my whole library of bits , put reins on, and held my hands over the mouthpiece while I asked students to use the reins so I could feel what the horse feels.

How the horses responds to pressure differs from horse to horse but I wanted my own idea of what they were feeling

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Chisamba - When you say - the rings move closer together with the action of the reins - if, I am using an Eggbutt there would not be movement of the rings right? So, the rings of the bit are being held apart by the jaw? which would mean the link size is less significant?

I will be giving the new bit a try tonight - hopefully, it goes well.

I am also going to do the test you did with your students...

I certainly do not want to cause any discomfort for the princess. LOL

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 pm

My big-boned, tall warmblood (now retired) gelding has a surprisingly narrow lower jaw and would object to a link that was too long. I'm sure your princess will let you know what she thinks of the new bit!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”