heated gloves?

Melody
Novice

heated gloves?

Postby Melody » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Trying to find a pair in XL, the battery kind for my husband. He has some allergy to the cold and normal gloves just don't do the trick on keeping him warm. Was wondering if anyone has tried the heated gloves that take batteries, if they work, what brands are good. Some seem really over priced. Got to be able to use them for farm work, moving hay around, all the things we do outside on a farm in the winter.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: heated gloves?

Postby Canyon » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:42 pm

I haven’t tried battery gloves.

Has he tried hand warmers? I know people who swear by them to get through the winter cold. I have been told that when you come inside, you can put the warmers in a ziplock bag to slow down the chemical reaction and make them last longer.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:19 pm

He has used hand warmers when he remembers to. Just trying to find more options. The heated gloves sound nice but way too many choices. Found one site that had all kinds of price ranges on theirs but did not have XL. His hands swell and the just large would be too tight sometimes. I have gotten him a lot of different gloves over the years, he looses them too. Need to sew yarn and run them through is coat like they did for us when we were kids so we couldn't loose them.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:21 am

I bought a pair, never used them. Too think to ride in.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:18 am

A friend at my curling club has a pair of battery heated gloves and she loves them.
Hers only stay warm for a couple of hours, then they need to be recharged.

They do not look sturdy enough for any sort of farm work and they would be too bulky for riding.

I have very bad circulation in my hands and I use the 'shake up' hand warmers inside my mittens. They last for 5-7 hours.
I shake them up first thing in the morning and they last well into the afternoon.
I get them super cheap... by the case... at Costco.

For cold weather riding I put a pair of the thin Back On Track gloves inside my summer Roeckl gloves. I do not ride at all if it is colder than minus 10 Celcius.
Back on Track does make an insulated glove but I find they fit very small.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 am

There is a glove liner (very thin) that a friend got which outlines every finger. She loves them, and they fit under normal riding gloves. Will see if I can get the name.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Thought about the heated glove liners. If the regular ones are too bulky for riding probably would be for chores too. I got him the back on track ones, just the thin, not the chore/riding gloves. He already lost one in the house! I have a pair and they sure are great for arthritis. So the riding back on track run small? He doesn't have long fingers, just kind of a wide hand and then swelling issues. I might try those, I guess I could send them back if they ran too small. I love those products!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:19 pm

I got a pair of heated mittens for farm work, but the coil inside the mitten ran right over a part of my hand that I use all the time when mucking out, so they were a no-go for that purpose.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”