Schooling Show Attire

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Schooling Show Attire

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:11 pm

I’m looking at the possibility of taking Phoenix to her first schooling show Sept 21st. But having not seen the inside of a show ring in about 10 years, I’d like to double check. What is appropriate to wear at a schooling show? Are there major do’s and donts?
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Schooling Show Attire

Postby blob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Most schooling shows require tidy clothing and turnout and not much else.

What I do: I usually wear solid colored breeches (you'll see plenty of tan, white, and black) and a solid polo shirt tucked in. I typically don't braid (unless your horse has a long mane) but make sure the mane is pulled and clean. I'll use either a black out white pad.

You can definitely be more fun and colorful, but I err on conservative when it comes to color.

Hope that helps and have fun!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:27 am

Ditto. Light colored breeches and a non patterned polo shirt (l buy golf shirts at TJMaxx). In the fall I wore a white turtleneck and a fitted vest instead of a polo. I braid because I need the practice.
Keep calm and canter on.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 am

The schooling shows in my area are pretty much like the rated shows ie coats, show shirts, white or cream breeches. Coats waived often but the usual rules ie no sleeveless etc apply. I don't see polos or black pants. But I know every region is different.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Expected attire varies by region and show series. The schooling shows my club puts on are pretty casual; prize list states, "Minimum show attire: helmet, boots with heel, and clean clothes (gloves and breeches would be nice but are not mandatory)." Tack must be USEF legal. Some riders do dress up and braid to get comfortable with all that before moving up to a recognized show.

I'd suggest talking to the show secretary or manager to find out what is the norm for your show.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:44 pm

I don't see anything about it on the show bill (silly me for not thinking to look there first). I'll definitely check with others at my barn, or the show secretary if needed. I didn't realize how much it could vary from region to region!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:41 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:I don't see anything about it on the show bill (silly me for not thinking to look there first). I'll definitely check with others at my barn, or the show secretary if needed. I didn't realize how much it could vary from region to region!

If nothing else you could default to light colored breeches (white or tan) and a neutral colored solid polo/show shirt tucked in, which would be acceptable even at a recognized show when coats are waived.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:42 pm

For sure send a note to the secretary.
Our shows were casual and during the fall winter

I would wear breeches tall boot gloves and helmet along with a long sleeve top with a vest, to match the temps.

I braided a few times simply to get my fingers back in the game and to make sure about my horses opinion about braiding

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”