Winter riding tights

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Winter riding tights

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:15 pm

I have one pair of Kerrits and of course I can't remember what style name. I'm a hefty gal (size 16 with a 46 inch hip) and need a high rise. Not interested in breeches, but tights. Any recommendations?

piedmontfields

Re: Winter riding tights

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:15 pm

If you figure it out, let me know! I have one pair of Kerrits winter tights that are awesome---full seat and fuzzy on the inside. They have lasted 15+ years, as I only wear them when it is below 30 (not often down here). I would like another pair but haven't seen them.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:51 pm

I have two pairs of the 15+ yo Kerrits winter fleece full seats that have lost their elastic.

When I was shopping for replacements in spring 2018 for my old mid weights (they had a great big hole in the butt :shock:) I discovered that Kerrits now has two lines of winter tights — heavy and light weight. I bought the light weight to replace my mid weight, which turned out to be a bit warm for me so I wore them on all except the coldest days. Which isn't saying much since last winter wasn't particularly cold :lol: But, the mid weights were perfect into the upper 30s for me.

All this to say, the new Kerrits fit really well. The fabric is better, the wind-block tech is better, and the mid weights have a great big deep pocket on the thigh, perfect for keys, gloves, treats, or a cell phone.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:53 pm

In the winter, I live in Kerritt's winter riding tights (except when I'm at work). They do fine in our REALLY cold temps (down to -30C sometimes) and they fit me well. I prefer the knee patch to the full seat.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:56 pm

DJR, do you know what the style is called?

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:38 pm

PaulaO wrote:DJR, do you know what the style is called?

Not totally sure (I'm at work now), but I think they are:

Mid-weight: Kerrit's Fleece Lite Winter Tight (knee patch)
Heavier weight: Kerrit's Sit Tight Wind Pro (knee patch)

The heavier weight breeches do have a slide-in pocket on the outside of the right thigh (I think the pocket is only on one side, but I'm not sure about that). There are no pockets on the Fleece-Lite tights.

I typically wear the Fleece-Lite tights in the late fall and early winter as well as early spring, and I switch to the Wind Pro tights for the cold parts of the winter. I only need snow pants overtop when I feed the farm in the Wind Pros during really terrible weather (blizzards, or persistent -20C to -30C, otherwise I only need the breeches even for my morning walks.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:47 pm

I have the Kerrits fleece lite knee patch tights. They have a zipper pocket, not a thigh pocket.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Because I am cheap, I rarely by riding specific tights any more. Instead, I get leggings (that aren't the slippery material) or more often jeggings--don't have to actually be denim, but anything labeled as a jegging usually has the type of material that is not especially slippery. They are pull on and super stretchy, last as long as most riding stuff and cost me under $20. You can get them fleece lined for winter!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:40 pm

I have footless, seamless winter tights and just wear those under my regular breeches if it's cold. If it's under 20, I'm probably not riding anyway, so I don't find much use for winter-specific breeches and just wear a longer coat when I'm off the horse.

Tropical Rider makes some polar fleece tights. I have a pair of the lighter fabric, but rarely wear them as they're too stretchy for my taste. They are comfy though, and you can order them with the type of seat patch you prefer.
Keep calm and canter on.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pm

heddylamar wrote:I have the Kerrits fleece lite knee patch tights. They have a zipper pocket, not a thigh pocket.

Oh yes, that’s true. The newer ones do (I should have known that, I just wore my newer pair on Sunday and used the zip pocket!). The older versions did not have a pocket.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 pm

DJR wrote:Oh yes, that’s true. The newer ones do (I should have known that, I just wore my newer pair on Sunday and used the zip pocket!). The older versions did not have a pocket.

I DID call it a thigh pocket — which would be even better — and it isn't ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:04 am

blob wrote:Because I am cheap, I rarely by riding specific tights any more. Instead, I get leggings (that aren't the slippery material) or more often jeggings--don't have to actually be denim, but anything labeled as a jegging usually has the type of material that is not especially slippery. They are pull on and super stretchy, last as long as most riding stuff and cost me under $20. You can get them fleece lined for winter!

Me too

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 am

What is the difference between a tight and breeches?

I love full sears so I guess I have only worn breeches.

Did you try Tropical Rider?

I have a few pair of the Kerrits Sit tight and warm, but honestly I prefer to wear Under Armlir cold gear long underwear under my Fits breeches. Even Dudley Duds are nice under breeches that extra layer even if it's thin blocks the cold

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:04 pm

Hayburner wrote:What is the difference between a tight and breeches?

In general, riding tights are pull-on. Some have printed on full seat or knee grip (rubber dots, for instance), others have the normal seats/knee-style patches. They are available in both full seat and knee patch.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks Heddy

Paula. I did see some tights on a website: Carousel horse tack. The storefront is actually near my house. I think they were on the page with close outs.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”