Correct Connect Reins

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Correct Connect Reins

Postby Hayburner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Just saw these on Facebook they look to be Reins with Velcro where you would normally hold the reins and a pair of gloves with Velcro.

They are supposed to help with keeping a consistent connection, which I do have issues with letting the outside rein get loopy.

Since my mare loves to do a stretchy walk, I did ask if you can let them go easily, they responded with yes, it takes some practice but you can do it.

Wondering if anyone here has tried them and if so a review.

musical comedy

Re: Correct Connect Reins

Postby musical comedy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:58 pm

I don't see how they would help with your right rein contact problem. I can see where they would be good for x-country jumping on a pulling horse when the reins get wet or sweaty. What kind of reins do you use now? I use leather ones with notches.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:19 am

I was using the soft thin rubber reins from Nunn Finer which I Loved. But, they are pony reins and now that she is enjoying a stretchy walk they aren't quite long enough and they also are not available with stops/notches.

Right now I'm using Stubben leather laced reins which are fine, but I think stops/notches would help me keep my reins even, which is also an issue I have.

I have always ridden with very loose fingers, it's a bad habit that I was hoping these contact reins would help me fix. I also need help with consistent contact/connection. I give too much when I "give".

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Interesting, never heard of them. https://www.ridecorrectconnect.com/ Looks a tad gimmeky to me.

I use the big chunky Equus eventa reins and I found they give me really really good connection. My horse is very sensitive and the weigher reins with this nice rubber works well. They also are obvious made for eventers so they don't get slippery when wet. I find the kind of glove I use matters- the cheap pebbly rubber ones work particularly well for the eventa reins.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 pm

hayburner--I also tend to ride with loose fingers, especially when a horse is easy/soft in the mouth. For me soft hands often translates into loose fingers.

I find a visual cue to be the most helpful. And I'd be worried that the velcro on these reins might not be in the right location for all horses? Rein length changes horse to horse and as a horse moves up levels. I like to put blue (or some other colored tape) on the reins where I should hold them. I place it wide enough to roughly be hidden in my hand. It works so that if my hand is on the right place and both reins are even I won't see any blue on either side--if reins get uneven or long I'll start seeing the tape. It's also easy to change where the tape on the rein is when needed and I can do stretch work. i don't know how visual you are, but maybe this method will work for you too! it's certainly cheap and flexible!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 am

Thanks for the responses!

If there is a gimmick out there, I'll find it! :D

Blob. It looks like the majority of the rein is Velcro. Since my mare really needs her stretchy walk to relax her I did ask if I could get the soft gloves which have less Velcro rather than the original.

That's it Blob, soft hands means the fingers are also soft and shame on me, Open too much. Tape might help me or putting colored stops which I just bought at Big Dees on my reins.

I started thinking, how will these really help me to keep my fingers closed? The glove will stay a bit stuck but I wonder if I can still open my fingers too much and defeat the purpose of this "gimmick" :D

I also never wear gloves to ride as Ryeissa mentioned the type of glove she uses helps her connection,
Maybe I should try using gloves and see if that helps me and also the colored bands on my reins, if those don't help, then try the gloves??

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm trying to envision that bit of relaxing the fingers when the energy comes to the hand and you need to let it through - will the Velcro cause the reins to stick on both sides of hand - finger and palm side? If so, that doesn't sound good. You are suppose to maintain rein length with your thumb anyway. . . a quarter between your thumb and forefinger is an aid for learning to keep your thumb firm. The rest of your hand plays the contact like a fine musical instrument. ;) :D

And I confess to having had the same problem also of reins slowly sliding out. . .

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 am

I would be think that the velcro would attract dirt and hair and then your reins would be even harder to hold onto. Don't know? I find that the stops or rubber reins work well for me. I try to always wear gloves. I do think they help me with my connection, especially if you get some that have some tackiness to them.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:18 am

Hayburner wrote:Just saw these on Facebook they look to be Reins with Velcro where you would normally hold the reins and a pair of gloves with Velcro.

They are supposed to help with keeping a consistent connection, which I do have issues with letting the outside rein get loopy.

Since my mare loves to do a stretchy walk, I did ask if you can let them go easily, they responded with yes, it takes some practice but you can do it.

Wondering if anyone here has tried them and if so a review.

Did you end up getting these hayburner? What did you think of them?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi Blob, Yes, I bought them. I haven't even tried them out!
I was worried that I would not be able to let the reins loosen easily and riding a super sensitive mare letting go can be important.

I did buy a pair of PS of Sweden softy reins with rein stops and I love them! They have really helped me keep a proper rein length and my mare appreciates them!

I'll probably sell them on EBay or a Facebook tack page. I really don't need them

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”