Saddle Fitting

Hayburner
500 post plus club

Saddle Fitting

Postby Hayburner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:00 am

I did find a really nice used MacRider saddle but it is way too narrow for my mare.

I have a saddle fitter coming in 2 weeks, but I found out she does not have the machine on her truck to adjust it. She will do a tracing and take it to their office to be adjusted, they said the flocking can also be adjusted if need be. Then it will be shipped back to me.

Is this the "norm"? The fitters I have seen at the barn do have the machine to widen it at the barn, no need to ship it elsewhere.

I'm worried that how will I know it's right? How do they know where flocking may need to be adjusted if it totally can't be put on the horses back? It is so narrow it doesn't come close to sitting on her back.

Doing it this way will cost close to $350.00 ! That seems high to me, but I've not had this done in the past since I've been using my Wintec for many years. You pay for travel, refit/reflock, tracing then shipping back to me.

Thanks

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Saddle Fitting

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:10 pm

"Way too narrow" as in you need an XW and it is a W? Or you need an XW and it is a medium?

It doesn't sound like this saddle is close to right. A good fitter helps a saddle go from close to perfect.

blob
500 post plus club

Postby blob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:15 pm

MacRiders are a bit of a different beast, which is partly why you're running into this problem. They're very adjustable--not just width, but shape as well. However, they require a special machine to be adjusted fully and properly--not what fitters use to adjust nearly every other saddle. And unfortunately MacRider doesn't have certified fitters or reps scattered around the country like most saddle brands do (despite what their website would have you believe).

So, to answer your questions--normally a saddle fitter would do the adjustments themselves. But, for MacRider, the saddle fitter is simply going to take the tracings and act as the liaison to getting your saddle adjusted by by the MacRider folks in Florida.

I had found a great deal on a macrider that i liked quite a bit. But when I learned what the fitting/adjusting process would be like and got a taste for how unhelpful their customer service is, I decided not to go with them.

They are really nice saddles, though. So, hopefully you won't have to adjust this one again for a long long time.

Hayburner
500 post plus club

Postby Hayburner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:41 am

Piedmont, matching it up to my Baines Elegance which is a wide, I'd say this is a medium at best. My Wintec Isabell is set to extra wide as she did plump up over the summer. She has dropped some weight, and since not every saddle width is the same, this may only need to go to a wide.

Blob, the MacRiders built before 2015 did need a special machine, since this was built late 2018, the MacRider rep said a standard tree machine can adjust it. I think they had to heat the older ones. The rep I spoke to is in NY and she was very helpful even when I told her I was looking at used ones on-line. She doesn't travel to my area unless there would be a handful or so of people that needed her service.

The saddle is very nice, the leather is so nice and this saddle doesn't appear to be used all that much.

So, a good fitter can adjust the width and flocking off site, just by doing a tracing ? Since it doesn't sit on her back, I'm still fretting over how they can get a perfect or near perfect fit and I can't even ride in it for her to see if it's right.

Thanks

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am

Maybe there is a local fitter who can help you assess the fit? Even if you use MacRider to make the adjustments? That might be an option.

I know this is more appointments and $$$. I agree that the leather and overall quality of MacRiders is very nice.

blob
500 post plus club

Postby blob » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Yes, a good fitter can adjust off site based on tracings.

Hayburner
500 post plus club

Postby Hayburner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks for the replies

Fitters are not easy to come by in my area. The last fitter I had look at my Wintec and I also tried a couple of saddles out, made me a wreck! Which only resulted in my anxious horse acting up. She kept barking at me - I finally gave up listening to her and fighting with my horse - got off and said: "I'm done" !

I am going to take some more photo's and let them see how it currently fits or should I say doesn't fit to be sure they can do the width and any flocking that may be needed. I really don't want to pay all this money out only to find that I need them to still come back when they are in the area, which could be months, to make more adjustments.

Return to “The Tack & Apparel Trunk”