Half Chap Suggestions

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Half Chap Suggestions

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:10 pm

After about 6 years of use, I need to replace my Dublin Suede halfchaps. They've served me well, but they're falling apart. I'd like to replace them with something a bit "fancier" while still somewhat inexpensive if possible.
I'd like something that looks more like a leather boot, and possibly with the high "bump" on the outside top that seems to be the fashion these days, I have no idea what that look is called.
What are your favorite brands? Any you've totally hated?

ETA: I did just find these I kinda like, but I'm confused a bit by the fit. I measured the widest part of my calf the other night at around 17", which would be at least the XL according to this, but the Dublins I have and wear are mediums? I don't think my calf is THAT big?
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/dubl ... s/E029760/
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Half Chap Suggestions

Postby texsuze » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:31 pm

I've always liked the Ariat half chaps; smooth leather exterior, concealed side zipper. They're easy to get on and off, lasted a long time (at least previous pairs) and although they're not super fancy, they have a clean appearance.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:47 pm

I like Ariat half chaps too, I have used these ones for the last 20ish years (couldn't find them on Stateline's website):
https://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-cla ... p/X1-3563/

That picture makes them look a bit "clunkier" than a lot of other ones I see but they last a while, they're comfy and I think they look nice.

With regards to the calf measurement can you have someone else help you take the measurement with a cloth measuring tape if that's not how you got the first measurement? I have fairly large calves and they only measure around 16". Last time I had to get new half chaps I got a medium in the Ariats I like which made them a touch small and I struggled to get them zipped for a while but they stretched some and are fine now.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:05 pm

Imperini wrote:With regards to the calf measurement can you have someone else help you take the measurement with a cloth measuring tape if that's not how you got the first measurement? I have fairly large calves and they only measure around 16". Last time I had to get new half chaps I got a medium in the Ariats I like which made them a touch small and I struggled to get them zipped for a while but they stretched some and are fine now.

While I had a cloth measuring tape, I did measure myself... that probably didn't help. I also think my calf may have been flexed. I'll remeasure tonight and see what I come up with.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Years ago I had the Ariat Crowne Chaps that were super nice! Not sure if they still make them or not - they looked super with the Crowne Paddock boots.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”