The latest in helmets

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

The latest in helmets

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 23, 2020 8:21 pm

This morning I went down the bunny hole of looking at new helmets. If I'm getting on Tesla soon, it occurred to me that I should look into getting something with MIPS technology. I currently ride in a OneK Defender, which is very comfy. However, I retired my last one after Annabelle dumped me a couple months ago, and have been using my show helmet. I also have a Tipperary Sportage, but don't feel like the padding is adequate inside, and the large is a little big, but my noggin won't go in their medium.

I tried the TraumaVoid EQ3 in 2018, and felt like it was going to pop off the top of my head, so I sent it back. Last year I tried the Charles Owen skull cap with MIPS, and while it felt secure on my head, it also stuck up really high, which gave me a top-heavy feeling, in addition to looking like I might work at Hotdog-on-a-Stick. :lol:

This time around, there are more MIPS options out there, so I am hopeful.

On the budget side, I ordered a TraumaVoid Lynx from SmartPak ($160 on sale; $135 this weekend if they have your size in stock)). I am skeptical due to the dial fit system and my previous attempt with the TV EQ3, but there's nothing to lose with free returns.

Then on the too expensive side, I ordered a Champion Revolve Vent-Air. It retails for $679, and I ordered from Riding Warehouse with 20% off, but still, it will need to be dreamy for me to keep it. I've owned cheaper horses. :lol: This one is sized in 1/8th" increments, so if the shape is correct, then a perfect fit is possible, and there's no dial harness. It turns out Champion has not, in the past, bothered with ASTM certification, but meets the higher British standards. However, the new Revolve helmets are ASTM, and are being distributed in the US through Toklat, who offers a 3 year reduced cost replacement policy.

In my searching I also found that OneK is about to come out with a MIPS helmet that also can be customized with differently colored parts. In one place it looks like they should be available any day, but in another, it seems production is delayed due to Covid. This will probably be the next one I try if the two I ordered today don't work.

Charles Owen has a slightly modified system now called MyPS, and has a scull cap and wide brim option available. These looked pretty good, but again I'm skeptical after not liking the skull cap I tried last year.

Tipperary has also just released the Tipperary Windsor MIPS helmet. I was strongly considering this one, but my head is kind of in between the M and L sizing, and also the harness is kind of cheap looking for a >$300 helmet.

Anyway, just thought I would post my musings for anyone else who might be in the market. I'm really hoping that one of these new models has figured out how to dial in the MIPS technology well enough that I can make the switch this time!
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Re: The latest in helmets

Postby heddylamar » Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 pm

I've tried on the TraumaVoid and Charles Owen, but, am still riding in my Pro II. It probably needs to be retired ... but I've never retired a helmet due to old age so it's almost an experiment at this point. Tipperary doesn't fit my head.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Sun May 24, 2020 12:37 am

My granddaughter and I both have small heads. She has the OneK Defender and I have IRD 4G.
We have tried both of the the BOT MiPS helmets as well as the Tipperary and none fit. We have not tried CO.
We are also keeping our fingers crossed that OneK with MiPS will fit our heads!

blob

Postby blob » Sun May 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Did any of the new helmets you looked at come I'm a long and oval variation like onek does? My head is looong

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 24, 2020 2:27 pm

blob wrote:Did any of the new helmets you looked at come I'm a long and oval variation like onek does? My head is looong

Not that I noticed, but several reviews of the Lynx said it worked well for an oval head with the dial fit system. I'm pretty sure there were shape options on the Charles Owen skull cap I tried before, so maybe look for CO to release MIPS helmets with more shape options.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 am

I got a Trauma Void EQ3 this month. Just rolling the dice on fit but they were closing out brown and had a screaming good deal. It actually fits. It is quite comfortable and seems adequately vented.

I was riding in an Ovation with the dial fit and it was OK. I will save that for back-up and shows if I ever get back to those. It has silver sparkles on it :mrgreen: . I think the Lynx would work too as it is a dial fit but I'm cheap and the brown EQ3's were about $20 less than the on sale Lynx. Maybe next helmet?

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 26, 2020 11:31 am

StraightForward wrote:
blob wrote:Did any of the new helmets you looked at come I'm a long and oval variation like onek does? My head is looong

Not that I noticed, but several reviews of the Lynx said it worked well for an oval head with the dial fit system. I'm pretty sure there were shape options on the Charles Owen skull cap I tried before, so maybe look for CO to release MIPS helmets with more shape options.

Might be worth waiting for the oneK version for me. Charles Owen helmets have never fit my head well. My helmet is relatively new (in the past year) but it also seems worth getting the better technology when it's available.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:53 am

I could not find nay MIPS to fit, even Charles Owen. I like the dial fit ovation schoolers, cheap but hold up well and I can get more colors :) since they are $50. I replace all my helmets before 5 yrs. OneKs don't fit, plus they seem hot.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:21 am

Ryeissa wrote:I could not find nay MIPS to fit, even Charles Owen. I like the dial fit ovation schoolers, cheap but hold up well and I can get more colors :) since they are $50. I replace all my helmets before 5 yrs. OneKs don't fit, plus they seem hot.

Same. I have the ovalest head know to man. Even more oval than a CO AYR8. All of the MIPS helmets are on the roundish side. I've tried nearly all of them having worked at a tack store for years.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:54 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:I could not find nay MIPS to fit, even Charles Owen. I like the dial fit ovation schoolers, cheap but hold up well and I can get more colors :) since they are $50. I replace all my helmets before 5 yrs. OneKs don't fit, plus they seem hot.

Same. I have the ovalest head know to man. Even more oval than a CO AYR8. All of the MIPS helmets are on the roundish side. I've tried nearly all of them having worked at a tack store for years.

I also have a very oval head. And the CO AYR8 also does not fit me. But Onek's "long and oval" does. Have you tried that? No MIPS technology yet, but from SF's original post, looks like there will be soon?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:23 pm

yeah, it didn't fit either....I will keep trying- thanks :)

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:47 am

blob wrote:
scruffy the cat wrote:

I also have a very oval head. And the CO AYR8 also does not fit me. But Onek's "long and oval" does. Have you tried that? No MIPS technology yet, but from SF's original post, looks like there will be soon?

Interesting. I had a long oval One K and it didn't fit me all that well. I thought it was too round. Of all the helmets the AYR8 is the best but I still do get marks on my forehead.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:06 am

Hmm, I wonder if either the AYR8 or the one k changed recently. I bought my helmet about 6 months ago after trying both (and trying many many others, siiigghh)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:26 pm

The Trauma Void Lynx just arrived today. At least for me, it's a big improvement over their EQ3. I measure about 57 cm, and the medium fits me well enough that the dial fit seems to just finesse the fit a little by hugging the back of my head, but the helmet still fits me pretty well without it. It also doesn't have the top-heavy feeling of the CO skullcap I tried last year, and it looks about the same in profile as my OneK Defender.

So I am keeping it. The Champion was back ordered and hasn't shipped yet, so I'm debating canceling that order.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 pm

I tried on the trauma void today. It was a no-go. It somehow was both too big and too shallow. It sat on top of my head v. sitting down. The tack store has 2 different sizes of the Charles Owen MIPS on order for me to try. My current helmet is a CO skullcap, so I presume their MIPS will fit perfectly too.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:19 am

Picked up the CO MIPS today! Same size as the [old] CO ultralite euro. Fits perfectly! I wore it for several hours this afternoon — working at the computer — to make sure it wouldn't give me a headache. I'm impressed with the washable, removable liner. That's an improvement I've wanted for decades. Plus, I have a brim again. Pretty useful in the rain.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”