Hoof boots

Imperini
Herd Member

Hoof boots

Postby Imperini » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:22 pm

I started having Pal shod shortly after we moved because the footing here is harsh and her feet were wearing faster than they were growing but it seems that her feet prefer no shoes. I'm wondering if hoof boots would be an option for when she's being ridden and then she can just be barefoot the rest of the time. She loves to jump so something that would work to wear while jumping (very small jumps) is important and also we're hopefully going to be doing some trail riding soon so something that can handle the desert terrain.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with using hoof boots for riding regularly?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Hoof boots

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:57 pm

I just got a pair of Scoot Boots for Annabelle and have been using them every ride for a few weeks now. So far, so good. She didn't take any time to adjust to them. I got mine from https://tryscootboots.com/products/demo ... 0No%20Demp. They shipped really fast, and you can send them back and pay a minimal amount if they don't work for you.

They should be fine for trail riding. I've also used Renegade boots, which are popular with endurance riders. However, I like the Scoots because they don't accumulate as much arena sand since they are more enclosed.

You'll probably want to get your mare's measurements and check those against the boot size charts to help in your decision. The best boots aren't great if their sizing doesn't match up with your horse's hoof dimensions.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Boots can be used for jumping, however, you're more likely to find they get flung off at higher speeds or with more momentum. One option might be to use boots for the majority of her work and remove them for jumping sessions.

As SF says, the "best" boots are useless if they aren't the correct proportions for the hoof. Get ones that suit the length and width of your horse's hooves. If measurements change more than a few mm between trims (ie freshly trimmed to due for the next trim), you may need more than one set to accommodate the change.

In general boots can do anything your horse can do, as long as they fit.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:16 pm

in my opinion boots are only worthwhile if your horse does not grow foot quickly or if you trim every three to four weeks. I have tried cavallo, easy boots, old mac and trek. the problem with most of them is sizing, difficulty in application as in wrestling to put them on, and not staying on in "real" work.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 am

Here is a pic of Annabelle working today in her Scoot Boots. For the record we did pop over a tiny jump at the beginning of the ride, and I will use them when we do our little grids and don't expect any problems. I do trim my own, so the growth issue is not a problem because I just grab a rasp and clean them right up.

Keep calm and canter on.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks everyone. The Scoot Boots look interesting. Pal doesn't have anything unusual about the shape of her hooves I don't think so hopefully we can find something that will fit well though don't think I have the appropriate knowledge to do any rasping or trimming myself. Maybe I will end up having to get an extra pair for toward the end of a trim cycle if we do go this route.

As a side note Annabelle is looking really good StraightForward.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”