Safety Irons

greenhorse
Novice

Safety Irons

Postby greenhorse » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:25 am

Is anybody riding with safety irons? Pros, cons, suggestions?

Silverado
Herd Member

Re: Safety Irons

Postby Silverado » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:07 pm

I pretty much always ride in Peacock stirrups simply for the safety reasons, I have the Herm Springer Balance stirrups but I rarely ride in them. I have causally looked at the Acavallo Arena Alupro Safety Stirrups. It's all about the safety for me right now, as my one pony is still green. Perhaps, when he is not so green I might switch for lessons but for general riding (trail) I will stick with the Peacock stirrups

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:00 am

Aren’t the peacocks only good for riders under 100lbs or something like that?

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:53 am

I use those plastic 'cages' on my jumping saddle stirrups. Think the actual stirrups are plain stubbens, and the 'cages' fasten onto the bottom of the stirrup. I really like them. They give me confidence on my youngster, just knowing my foot can never get caught, although they kind of look a bit clunky.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:13 am

I have had these for several years: https://www.safestyle.nl/en/

I recently got the sealing rubbers, which are a big improvement in the not losing one's stirrups department. They are quite heavy irons, but I see they have a lighter composite version now. These are what I'll be using when I start my 4 year old in the very near future.
Keep calm and canter on.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:20 am

greenhorse I have never heard that peacock stirrups are only good for riders under 100 pounds? Not sure why that is, perhaps some else does. I have ridden in them for years.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am

I've also heard that peacock stirrups are only designed for riders under 100lbs. The reason being that greater weight can make the band release even in cases when it shouldn't. But I think that's supposed to be primarily for jumping when weight is concentrated against the stirrup and in particular when you land from a jump the impact that comes down against the stirrup can cause the stirrup to break free if the rider is over 100lbs

There are other breakaway type stirrups designed for adults. But...if they've never broken away when you didn't intend them to, then you're probably fine.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:36 am

I use peacock stirrups on my jumping saddles, and regular weighted stirrups on the dressage saddle. I've never had bands snap prematurely, just with age (cracks) or during accidents.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:12 am

I bought mine from Smartpak and I am around 130 lbs and I've to had any problems with the band breaking. They are a few years old and still using them.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:04 am

Straightforward: How do the sealing rubbers attach? Do you have a pic?

I ended up finding some of the old Qwik-Out irons for $20. Brand new!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:07 pm

The sealing rubbers just have an opening in the end that fits the "knob" on the iron, and you shove them on. No problems with having them come off. Very glad to have this setup for a little peace of mind as I'm starting my 4 year old!
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:40 am

I dislike safety irons from a security point of view. the only stirrup I ever got stuck in was a peacock stirrup. the little stud caught on my chaps and I was dragged. also a youth rider dismounted and that little hook on the stirrup caught her vagina as she was sliding down and ripped her and it was awful. after that i taught riders who had peacock stirrups to drape the stirrup over the wither before dismounting. my final issue is I saw a horse fall and the peacock stirrup bent crushing the foot . the sole of the stirrup folded up into the arch .
Last edited by Chisamba on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 pm

it's funny, I searched to see if any others had experienced issues and so many stories of people tearing crotches, face, clothing etc. I was also not the only one dragged by peacock stirrups.

the weight limit is because the stirrups bend open during use , especially on hilly climbs or a lot of jumping.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”