boot woes

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

boot woes

Postby blob » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm due for a new pair of boots as my current pair is falling apart (or at least one of the boots is).

I'm looking for something reasonably affordable (something $500ish or under), stiff outside, and I really don't like the look most of the newer boots have with the tapered ankle.

I used to have these and I love them, but I can't find them in my size anymore: https://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstep- ... X1-380924/

Any suggestions for a stiff boot without a tapered ankle that won't cost a leg and foot?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: boot woes

Postby Tanga » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:48 pm

Those look like pretty nice boots, though my foray into Tredstep did not go well. I really like Ovation. They have boots that I like for very good prices.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Tanga wrote:Those look like pretty nice boots, though my foray into Tredstep did not go well. I really like Ovation. They have boots that I like for very good prices.

I believe ovation only has dress boots and not dressage boots that have the very stiff outer shell? Or are the ones you have the very stiff kind?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:58 pm

blob wrote:
Tanga wrote:Those look like pretty nice boots, though my foray into Tredstep did not go well. I really like Ovation. They have boots that I like for very good prices.

I believe ovation only has dress boots and not dressage boots that have the very stiff outer shell? Or are the ones you have the very stiff kind?

I did not know there is a difference between dress boots and dressage boots. They seem like "normal" boots to me. Last year I got a pair of Ariat field boots (with a zipper because I won't buy anything without them) and they were amazing. I'm a convert to the softer boot that molds to my legs, which aren't fat, but I have a LOT of leg and muscle. With my brand new cool boot crowns, I don't worry about the drop down, which happens no matter what I do.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:03 am

A dress boot is a softer boot -- similar to a field boot, but without the laces. A dressage boot is stiff and has the hard outer shell. It's really a matter of preference and I know many like a softer boot. But I really do like a stiff boot--the stiffer the better!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 am

It looks like the Petrie Olympic might work for you and stay within your price range: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PETRIE-Olympic ... xyQqBRHWnX
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:13 am

my recommendations are go for the gusto and get what you truly want. der dau or naked. ( joke)

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:12 pm

I agree with Chisamba. If you really know what you want it's hard to settle for anything else but that being said and given you're preferences for a stiff boot sans narrowing at the ankle, the Petrie Olympic would likely fit the bill. I have a pair that I purchased in 2006 that haven't dropped at all. I only use them for showing. I do have the newer Petries which are narrowed at the ankle, a softer leather with a zipper. I use those for every day riding and love, love, love them - and they're their least expensive model ;)

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”