Saddle question

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Saddle question

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:59 pm

Since I am looking for a saddle, just wondering if a saddle can really put you and your legs in the correct position?

Many Saddles state they put your leg in the correct position but do they?

Do extended stirrup bars help?

StraightForward

Re: Saddle question

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:55 pm

The right saddle will allow a correct position, but that is totally dependent upon the rider's conformation, meaning different saddles for different shapes of rider. Being able to adjust the relative position of the stirrup leather could help a little, but having the right seat shape and twist is really important to allow the leg to drape nicely from a relaxed, open hip.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Thank you Straightford, the saddle I was trying and think is nice (tho, fitter would not allow a few days trial) I had to work on Putting my leg in the correct position .

It could very well have been because I was not having my legs nice and loose and/or an open enough hip angle.

Not sure if it's worth me having the fitter come back and pay again to try the saddle. I get nervous when others are watching me ride and only being in that saddle for 15 min. I'm not sure if it's the right fit for me or not. I usually walk my horse for a longer period before I get on and I also walk longer before I ask for the trot so neither of us were in a totally relaxed state.

The above is really the reason I wanted to have it for a few days so I could ride like I normally do then I would be able to make a better decision on the saddle.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:08 pm

If you are flexible, loose, and free through your hips, the correct saddle will be apparent. It's not the saddle for you if you have to fight for the correct position.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:05 pm

I agree with others that it is definitely possible to find saddles that make it easy to be in the right position, or at least make it hard to be in the wrong position. And I agree that it can be tricky to find that saddle as it differs for everyone.

When I ordered my Frank Baines, the saddle that came did *NOT* help me put my leg in the right position. But we did a series of adjustments until we got it right--we changed the length of the block, the location of the block, and actually took the entire flap off the saddle to reposition it. As a result, I got a saddle that made it nearly impossible for me to draw my leg up and forward and into chair seat (my biggest position battle).

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm

Yes, the unique combination of size, width, twist, rise etc will impact you and your individual body.
I've seen a friend ride in several different saddles, all professionally fitted to the horse. More than one made her sit in a chair seat to a smaller or larger degree. Another doesn't, she sits really nicely.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Yes saddles can make your position easy peasy or difficult. Years ago I rode in a brand saddle De Kunffy two different models and they both put me in chair seat, not had that problem since. They were not my saddles.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:06 am

I have my saddles fitted to my horses. one is a well made saddle and the other, less well made. my good saddle is easy to ride with a correct leg. the other, my leg slides to far back constantly . it's only from watching my training videos that i realized how much the saddle is to blame

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:18 pm

Absolutely, you should be able to just sit right into the saddle, not fight for your position. My L&R has adjustable blocks and 2 different kind of blocks that I can change out depending on teh style of riding I plan on doing. It was 100% comfy from the moment I sat it...even so, I rode in it for a couple weeks before buying it because I wanted to be sure that the Tio also loved it. Wound up buying the demo saddle rather than risking having a new one made and it not fitting the same. I'm glad the fitter was agreeable to selling it.

The new saddle for Rudy that I'm anxiously waiting for was the same way. His current saddle has always put me in a chair seat and often hurts my left kneecap, but it was the best I could find at the time. Like you, I only rode in the demo version of the new saddle for 15 minutes or so, but it felt perfect almost from the first minute. When the fitter suggested lengthening my stirrups one hole, I was able to just drop down into it and sit with my legs directly under me where they belong! I am hoping the saddle that arrives feels the same.

My saddle priorities are as follows
1. Must make horse happy
2. Twist must be right...you'll know it's wrong if crotch or hips hurt
3. Must sit level on the horse...if your lower back hurts, it is tipped forward or backward
4. Thighs free to stretch down allowing feet to be directly under you
5. Feels like someone made it just for you :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:01 am

Sue B wrote:Absolutely, you should be able to just sit right into the saddle, not fight for your position. My L&R has adjustable blocks and 2 different kind of blocks that I can change out depending on teh style of riding I plan on doing. It was 100% comfy from the moment I sat it...even so, I rode in it for a couple weeks before buying it because I wanted to be sure that the Tio also loved it. Wound up buying the demo saddle rather than risking having a new one made and it not fitting the same. I'm glad the fitter was agreeable to selling it.

Adrienne sat me in an L&R jumping saddle today, and was telling me how they were tweaking some seemingly minor design details - like the exact place where the seat leather joins the jockey leather just behind the pommel, and how it's giving a totally different feel on the ride. She said also where and how the webbing was put over the tree was affecting the ride a lot. It was really interesting, but also overwhelming to think there is even MORE to consider with saddle fit after getting a tree and flocking to fit the horse, and a generally acceptable seat/flap/twist/stirrup bar combo for the rider.

The L&R was really great looking, and I'll definitely consider a custom one if and when Tesla qualifies for a grownup saddle (jumping or dressage), especially access to the expert local help.
Keep calm and canter on.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:07 am

StraightForward sent you a pm.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:12 am

so I dragged out my oldest saddle, the Kieffer Wein, minimal block, and ride in it and I was able to keep my leg better instead of forking baxkward. lol

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”