Bridle shopping help?

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Bridle shopping help?

Postby heddylamar » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 pm

I'm looking for a new jumping bridle to go with one of these gorgeous saddles :D

My requirements:
- padded mono-crown
- flash
- buckles

Deal-breakers:
- crank noseband
- hook fastenings

I've broken my fingers so many times, I cannot handle hook fastenings. The last few attempts to change bits have resulted in trips to the leather repair shop :| Reins honestly don't matter. I rarely like the included reins, so they just become spares. I'll order what I prefer to work with the eventual bridle.

As for what I've considered, I gave brief thought to just getting CWD's "training bridle" with the metal clasps. But the clatter of bit + clasps would probably drive me batty. I'm considering these two bridles from Bobby's: bridle one, and bridle two.

heddylamar

Re: Bridle shopping help?

Postby heddylamar » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:27 pm

And here are the other bridles I'm considering:
Bridle three
Bridle four
Bridle five

Thoughts? Any experience with these? Anything else I should consider?

I use a Jerry's on Maia right now ... and really wish they were still in business!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 am

Nice saddle. :D

I like the PS Sweden Nirak more than the Micklem, but both act differently than a regular bridle due to the bit attachment.

Nunn Finer is nice quality and it looks like you can build your own: https://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-Cu ... /nfceb.htm
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 am

Oh. Wow! The Nirak is lovely! I'd looked at Nunn Finer, but totally missed the build your own aspect. Minus 1 bridle, plus 2 more :lol:

I found the saddle barely broken in — 2017 model, extra long flaps (woot!), and less than half list price.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:53 am

I think I looked at every bridle on the interwebz summer between fitting something to Tesla's oatmeal box head and finding something for Annabelle's refined, but on the large side of cob head. Flexible Fit is another one. You can also order bridle parts from Equiture (BR and PS Sweden I think).

The Bobby's bridles do run small. Cob is more like Arabian/large pony.

A was in a Micklem, and then a Nirak for ~2 years, but at a certain point, she was getting too fixed in the contact and changing to a regular flash and loose ring bit made a big difference. The Nirak was a good step for her in learning contact though, since she was barely started and being ridden in a mullen curb when I bought her.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:25 am

Maia's fine-boned but clunky :lol: She's got all of her momma and grandmomma's refined features ... in a great big honkin' package. Seriously. The girl cannot shoehorn herself into any of their cob halters or bridles. When I brought her to MD, nothing fit except the "long" cob Jerry's bridle we'd gotten for Mom's rescue warmblood ... and even that's on the last holes in most places. So, I'd already figured on ordering a horse size.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:32 pm

I had several Bobby’s bridles in the past...maybe 8 plus years ago. Good workmanship and nice leather. One was a beautiful rolled leather double. However I think that was before the company had lots of changes and different qualities of leather. Now I don’t know. I also had a Micklem several years ago. I bought it for a long headed thoroughbred. I couldn’t get it to fit him right and there were limited adjustments. Leather was okay but nothing special. I ended up returning the bridle. This also was several years ago and things do change so I don’t know that this is helpful.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:35 pm

I have also found that the Micklem's leather is not very good quality for the price and that includes recent models friends have.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:06 pm

I have one of the custom Nunn Finers (my Morgan needed a tiny noseband, pony-sized cheek pieces and a horse-sized crown and brow band). I really like it - the leather is lovely, and the width looks good on a cob-sized head. Not a monocrown, though. (On a related note, I also love the Nunn Finer soft grip rubber reins that are one of the rein options).

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:01 am

I *may* be a bit closer to a decision — I just ordered reins from PS of Sweden. I need a new set for the dressage bridle anyway, since Maia and I have completely destroyed the original set. If I like the reins, I'm leaning towards this bridle. Yes, yes, it's not one I was considering originally :lol:

Thank you so much for feedback on quality. It's so hard to tell without ordering one of everything. We only have a used tack store and Dover locally, and the selection sucks.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:19 am

I like the design of that one!
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:33 pm

I am cheap/poor, so don't buy anything expensive. Try Horseloverz. I buy a lot of stuff there and it looks great. https://www.horseloverz.com/search/main ... %20bridle/

I have banned myself from going there because I'm not allowed to buy anymore, by me.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:21 am

The HVE bridle is very pretty! I'm not sure it will be legal for dressage. And maybe this does not matter to you, since you said you're looking for a jumping bridle. I'm am not a rule guru, but USEF DR 121 3.1 says "The crownpiece of the bridle must lie immediately behind the poll and may extend forward onto the poll, but it may not be fitted to lie on the vertebrae behind the skull."

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:39 pm

I like the HVE as well

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:54 pm

The HVE reins finally arrived. Holy wow. The leather is gorgeous :mrgreen:

I'm going to re-measure, and order the bridle this week.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:30 pm

nice! glad to hear that. Keep us posted on the bridle! Yay prezzies!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:59 pm

I thought I would put in a plug for Lumiere bridles if anyone is in the market for something nice but affordable. I have a rolled Otto Schumacher for Annabelle, but decided to get something else for daily use, mostly due to the fit of the rolled bridle at the poll. It took almost a month for this to arrive from Aus, but with the exchange rate, it was a really good deal. I also bought a pair of rolled reins to go with the OS bridle, and I think I paid just over $200 total with shipping.

The browband here is one I bought on eBay for Tesla that ended up not having big enough loops for her bridle. The Lumiere came with a black crystal droop style browband. They were great about switching up the bridle size parts (I ordered a cob with full browband and oversize reins) at no extra charge. Bridle seems really nicely made and the leather is supple and nicely finished.
Attachments
50859101983_0cdff4bc8b_c.jpg
50859101983_0cdff4bc8b_c.jpg (189.89 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”