Patrick saddles anyone?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Patrick saddles anyone?

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:48 am

While I'm waiting for a Lovatt & Rickett's demo saddle to come available, I've been poking around the interwebz for a used option.

There is a Patrick Leggero that looks like it could be the unicorn saddle that would fit me and A nicely. It even has blue welting that matches my show coat.

I thought I'd seen this brand discussed here, but didn't find anything by searching. Any insights on this brand? The saddle is at a tack store in FL and offers a trial, so at least it's not a no-returns private seller type scenario, but I want to do some independent research, especially since I'm out in the hinterlands with limited access to fitters/saddlers and don't want to end up with a saddle no one or will work on. Locally L&R and Custom are about it for reps/fitters (and occasionally Trilogy and Prestige reps come through).
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Re: Patrick saddles anyone?

Postby khall » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:38 pm

Never heard of it. Will have to look it up. Having wide load horses I’m always looking to see what’s out there in hoop tree.

I had never heard of the Adam Ellis until the fitter I used brought one out. I really like the saddle and it did not break the bank. It has blue welting on it as well. I did have to have a point billet pour on and now it works perfectly for Joplin. Need to try it on the others.

My holistic vet likes it better because the channel is so wide. The Vinici not so much

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:27 pm

I couldn't get a really good sense of the width from the photos, but the seller is a qualified rep/fitter in FL, so I sent the tracings off and have my fingers crossed that she thinks it's worth a trial.

I don't know that A needs a super wide channel since she doesn't have big spinous processes, just has filled out so the panels need to be quite flat to not pinch her longissimus muscles. Tesla on the other hand has huge bones, but at least so far, isn't as full through the ribcage, and likely won't be if she continues to take after her dad.

Good things being said about the Patrick saddles over on CotH, but new they start at $5800, so I'm only considering this specific used saddle.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 am

Did you get the demo yet?

A local government ftter sells them and I did try a couple, sorry I don't know the models. I was glad that I didn't like the fit on me, since the starting price was around 6k

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:26 am

It's supposed to get here on Monday. It's not a demo, just a used one, so I either like it or not. Yeah, $6k for a new one is not in the budget right now!
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:05 am

Saddle arrived this afternoon and I was able to ride in it tonight. I think it's going to be a keeper! Definitely a nicely made saddle with good quality leather. It seems to fit Annabelle quite nicely to my eye, and she seemed happier and was rounder and softer in the bridle. I'll definitely ride in it as many times as possible before committing to keeping it, and hope I can bring it over to my saddler to get checked out and possibly get the flocking tweaked. It has a wider twist than the Vinici, and the blocks are bigger and firmer, so I had a much more locked in feeling, but adapted to it pretty quickly. The extra security might not be a bad thing with the airs above ground Annabelle has pulled at shows and clinics, and it's certainly not as locked in feeling as the N2 I rode in a few times on a barnmate's horse. After, I rode Tesla in the Vinici and it felt almost minimalist by comparison. The Vinici definitely feels more close contact through the flaps, even though they are both a monoflap. If I was ordering new, I would probably get a little less prominent block and try to get something with a little narrower twist feel, but this one is much more affordable, and no putting my riding on hold while waiting months to get something custom built.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:43 am

Fourth ride tonight and I have decided to keep it. Annabelle is markedly happier, both getting saddled and less fussy at the beginning of the ride. I am getting used to the wider twist pretty quickly, but might need to do a bit more stretching so my hips are loose enough to allow me to really drape my leg. Ahh, it is a relief to find something that works and not have our training on hold waiting to get a new saddle!
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”