Thinline saddle pads - do you use / like it?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Thinline saddle pads - do you use / like it?

Postby Josette » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm considering a Thinline saddle pad to use under my 17.5 dressage saddle. I'm starting to do a lot of sitting trot work and thought to help with back protection. I use a thick saddle pad underneath. (All my saddle pads are those Seams Right thick brand.) I previously had tried a full size Mattes but it was too thick and made saddle too tight under shoulders. I just feel like I should add a little something for when I bounce :roll: to protect pony's back. He is a round robust body type though. Also what size would you recommend as I see they come in 2 sizes. Thanks!

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Re: Thinline saddle pads - do you use / like it?

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:06 pm

I do like Thinline pads. I also like SaddleRite (?) Thinline has a square pad with the Thinline pad at the saddle area: that's a nice one. As you say, think pads are not usually the answer, as they make the saddles too tight.

will try to find the link for the SaddleRite things... I get them through my saddle fitter.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Back on track makes a saddle pad that incorporates a Thinline pad under the saddle area - Contender II. It is also shimmable. I have it as an "emergency" pad for the times my saddle and my horse might have gotten a bit out of sync and it's going to be a week or two until the fitter can get out but I am really particular about saddle fit. I know people who use it as their daily pad and are happy.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:11 pm

I had a thinline and I disliked it. I felt like it made Mocha's bouncy trot even bouncier. It's a very personal thing though.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:21 pm

I love my thin lines. I thought they helped with sitting trot for me. And horse seemed to like it.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:05 pm

I have a sheepskin lined thinline pad. I don't notice any difference in using it for riding at all.
I've got a saddle that's a touch too wide so that's why I have it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:06 pm

I have four or five thin line pads, i use them

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:05 pm

chisamba - what size/design do you prefer? What do you feel would fit best a 17.5 size saddle?

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I use a wool lined thinline for one horse (WB but think TB topline) and a quilted thinline with the other (a very wide Arab). I also use seams right pads - love them and they last forever! This combo works for me and the horses. No sore backs for any of us. I use a large for my 17.5 dressage saddle. I think the medium would work but I also have the rolls front and back and with those the medium is just slightly too small.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:19 pm

I love mine. My Arab is very bouncy and I find this helps when sitting. I also can't fit a sheepskin pad because she is super wide, so those are out for us.

I have the large size for my 18" dressage saddle.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks for your replies. The saddle fitter came out today and did minor flocking adjustment left side. She highly recommended the thinline pad and it sounds like I just purchased the one you described. My guy is wide with minimal withers and the thinline felt very good on top of my Seams Right saddle pad. Very glad I had the fitter out. (Yes - those Seams Right pads are durable!!)

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:40 am

I have an ultra thinline n use it every ride. It works for the horse and riders back. I became a convert after being given a pair of thinline insoles. Amazing!! And worth every cent.

LTison
Greenie

Postby LTison » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:06 pm

I have had just about every saddle pad known to man and honestly havent noticed much difference in terms of the horse's comfort or gates or my comfort. I have found some helpful in terms of fit and helping the saddle stay put.

I am not that discerning I am afraid. But my very good friend swears by the thinline and says that it keeps her back much more comfortable. She also has excellent feel of the horse.

Certainly can't hurt but can be quite expensive sometimes.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Josette wrote:chisamba - what size/design do you prefer? What do you feel would fit best a 17.5 size saddle?

I like the contour pad best, I I not buy the lined ones, all my saddles are fitted so the thin line does not change the fit.

I do have two half pads too but I prefer the contour ones. They fit my saddles, from 16, lesson saddles to my eighteens.

Shadowfax
Greenie

Postby Shadowfax » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:22 pm

I love the thinline pads. My horses have an obvious difference in their way of going and very very clearly prefer me using the pad. I like that it does not change the fit of my saddles and is unobtrusive.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:41 pm

I use a thinline. I also have the fleece one, but it is very thick and will significantly change the saddle fit. The "bare" thinline is very thin. I believe my horse likes it too.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:40 am

Josette - I swear by this thinline trifect pad! No bulk, but nice protection. My horse has literally never been back sore and so I'm a believer. Now granted he's not the type to complain, but I believe that as much as we've amped up the sitting trot, it has been a good bet. If you haven't already ordered, you need a medium. The large is huge. Good luck!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/thinline-t ... oCwt3w_wcB

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:53 pm

Hafdressage - Your link looks exactly like the pad I purchased! YES - I really like this pad and so does my pony! Thanks!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”