Secrets, tips for shiny boots?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Secrets, tips for shiny boots?

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Anyone know any super secret special ones? I have cheaper boots, so they don't always shine super well. I use a polish and brush and shine them that way and use the shine sponges.

I have researched and tried a bunch of things to see if I can get it any better, to no avail. The banana peel doesn't work a I've even tried hair shine and a variety of other things. I just thought I'd ask in case someone has something I haven't tried as I organize and get things packed up.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Re: Secrets, tips for shiny boots?

Postby myleetlepony » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:54 pm

Have you tried Kiwi Parade gloss?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:06 am

myleetlepony wrote:Have you tried Kiwi Parade gloss?

I have not. Is it worth going to find in the next few days?

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:42 pm

Tanga wrote:
myleetlepony wrote:Have you tried Kiwi Parade gloss?

I have not. Is it worth going to find in the next few days?

If your boots are smooth grain, it should work well. I've never used it myself but know a lot of people that have. Just as with any boot polish, don't use it on the inner calf ;)

I have seen it at Walmart and I know it's on Amazon so it shouldn't be hard to find. YouTube has a lot of how-to videos using it, so you could watch a few and see if you think it could work for you.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:12 pm

I use the parade gloss too. It's easy to find anywhere that sells Kiwi polish (I can get it at our Fred Meyer grocery store). My husband is a referee and he uses this on his black ref shoes and they get pretty shiny: https://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/PEN ... p/p551.htm
Keep calm and canter on.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:18 pm

My boots always looked their best right after the shoe repairman worked on them (and gave them a complimentary polish)!

Here's an article by Wirecutter on The Best Products for Maintaining and Shining Leather Shoes The polishes are discussed last. I think I need to try the Lincoln Stain Wax Shoe Polish that they recommend.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 pm

Ooh. Good information. I have the Lincoln and it does OK. I think my boots are smooth grain? They aren't the patent super gloss type, which I don't like, but more of a shine would be nice.

I have the best Cobbler down the street who I have had change zippers and put soles on man times, so maybe I'll stop by there for product. I'll post pictures if I think it works. :)

blob

Postby blob » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 pm

I like that the lincoln comes in a neutral. I have't used it before. But my one gripe with the kiwi parade gloss is that it is black in color and even though I only do the outside, it still can sometimes stain light/white saddle pads. And let's be hones it's the same occasions that I use white pads where I want really shiny boots!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:32 am

I just went to the Cobbler and they said the Lincoln stain wax polish was the best. So I got it. I polished one boot with it, and the other boot with cheapo dollar polish. I really can't see a difference. Sigh. Oh well, me dream of blindingly glaring shiny boots is lost, all lost. :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:39 am

LOL. I went to pick my brown boots up from the repair place and was going to buy some of the Lincoln wax, but they don't take cards and I had exactly enough cash to pay for the repair. I'll just stick with the plain Kiwi brown wax I suppose.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:08 am

so, you put a layer of polish on your cleaned boots. the kiwi black or brown regulat 2 dollar polish. let it sit for half an hour, then take a heat gun ( 6 bucks at harbor freight) or really hot hairdryer, aim it at the boot until the gloss comes up. be careful to move the heat source for even gloss. once glossy let it sit for a few.minutes then a gentle rub with a soft damp cloth or cotton ball to finish it.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 pm

Polish as normal, then the kiwi gloss and a blast from a hair dryer as Chisamba describes. I normally use clear, and follow up with with a scrap of old pillow case or the extra soft buffing brush.

Used to do DH's and dad's boots too when they were active duty ...

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 pm

Oooh. OK. I will add the hair dryer today a give it a try!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:08 pm

You can also buff the polished boots with a (ruined) pair of nylons/pantyhose for a similar outcome: high gloss thanks to heat thanks to friction.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:You can also buff the polished boots with a (ruined) pair of nylons/pantyhose for a similar outcome: high gloss thanks to heat thanks to friction.

OMG! How did I now know this? I had a nice brush, but I see a noticeable difference with the nylons! I just cut some up to use as a hair net. now I have super shiny boots for champs!

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”