Freeze proofing barn faucets

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Freeze proofing barn faucets

Postby Koolkat » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:00 am

We recently had a faucet installed in the backyard/garden area that is a "no freeze" faucet. It has a hydrant like handle (a bit like a hand pump on the old "pump until the water runs" faucets) which you pull up to start the water flow. It does take a bit of force to pull the handle up to turn on (and off, for that matter). When you turn the water off, push the handle down, a valve opens in the pipe underground, the water runs out of the pipe into a drain field below the pipe which removes water from the pipe above ground and keeps it from freezing. It also has a concrete collar around it at ground level which stabilizes it and perhaps also provides a bit of insulation. DH wants to install one in the barn (we are actually spiffing up for resale), but I'm not too enamored with the idea. The garden version is not entirely user friendly in the way a conventional twist faucet handle is. Our barn water is not heated. With 3-4 horses in the barn during the winter, the barn was always much warmer than outside during the winter, but on our coldest nights, their buckets could freeze. During those times, we would hang a 10 gallon plastic "bladder"/bag over the faucet full of hot water and wrap insulation around it. We took the hose to the garage for the evening. This worked 99% of the time, but DH wants to improve. I'm fine with this, but looking for other solutions besides the style of faucet mentioned above. Is anyone familiar with a different style of no freeze faucet besides the type mentioned above? Or, what are your solutions to a cold winter's season?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Freeze proofing barn faucets

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:00 pm

We installed the pump stylethat you do not like in the barn after several years of pipes failing because of the other style

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:56 pm

It looks like that style is the solution to the problem. It's in an awkward space for that handle style and I find it hard to manipulate if one hand is holding something, etc., but may have to find a way to make it work. Thanks for your experience.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:15 pm

I have 3 of the frost-proof hydrants you've installed in your garden area. They are all outside. I couldn't imagine one being installed inside a structure but maybe I just haven't seen them done that way. They're designed to self-empty any remaining water once the handle is closed via a spout under the ground IIRC. I usually put a length of foam pipe cover over the upright part for freezing weather. I wrap the top handle with some rags and put an upside down bucket over that :) to keep off the wind.

I also have those standard hose bibs (faucets) in my unheated barn; one in the barn aisle and one at the wash rack. In freezing weather I unhook the garden hoses and again just wrap them with rags. You could also use the styrofoam covers designed to hook onto them to keep out the cold. YMMV

khall

Postby khall » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:53 am

I have one installed in my 86’ long center aisle barn. We’ve replaced it a couple of times. They do wear out. Thankfully I’ve got a good person who can do the concrete work it requires. In fact it’s leaking again at the top. The parts just wear out with heavy use. T you can replace the guts though and keep the pipe it all fits in. I like my frost free spigots. Have them scattered around the farm.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:53 pm

I've always just used the standard frost free hydrants. Mom had one inside the barn in NH, and we had one inside both barns in MD. They're easy to use, simple to repair, and reliable.

My BO in TX uses uninsulated PVC pipes with poly bibs for all the pastures and in the barn. All are piped to the two frost free hydrants ... but, how it didn't turn into a big frozen mess last winter during our week-long freezing temps, I do not understand.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”