Frank Baines Balance International Saddles

dressagefan
Greenie

Frank Baines Balance International Saddles

Postby dressagefan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:15 pm

I've been reading about these - has anyone tried one? Are they truly better than a regular saddle for a wide horse?

There is a model that comes with essentially no points. Has anyone tried one of these?

This would be for a wide backed, big shouldered horse with a decent wither and short-ish back.

Thanks in advance for any experience or thoughts. :)

no.stirrups
Novice

Re: Frank Baines Balance International Saddles

Postby no.stirrups » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm a fan! I'm not sure what you mean by a "regular saddle" though as they are essentially normal. Frank Baines saddles, including but not limited to the Balance saddles, are the best for wide horses, IMO. They come in sizes up to 8W, so extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra wide. They are far better made than the other saddles I've seen marketed for wide horses. Short tree points and thin, broad panels are standard recommendations for super wide horses. I haven't personally tried the one with no points but I haven't had a horse that wide either! I don't believe that tree is available directly from Frank Baines, so you do have to go through Balance for that one.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:24 pm

I have a FB Reflex (now called a Pirouette), for my X wide, big shouldered Morgan. It fit her predecessor who was bigger and had a short back, also. Lovely saddle, and if buying new, many options for trees and saddle leather. I love my saddle!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:25 am

They're lovely saddles, with tons of options for sizing. Saddlefitter on the old board was a rep for them.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:35 am

redsoxluvr wrote:They're lovely saddles, with tons of options for sizing. Saddlefitter on the old board was a rep for them.

Yes, I worked with saddlefitter, aka Kit now of panther run saddlery in my search to fit my Morgan and this is what she picked.

nightlace
Greenie

Postby nightlace » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:46 pm

I have a Zenith 8x (width). My horses love it! I have ridden it on Thoroughbreds, Fresians, Draft Crosses, QHs, and wide ponies. They all go well in it. The Balance Saddle padding system allows me to ride the more narrow horses as well as the wider horses.

jaybird660
Greenie

Postby jaybird660 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:54 pm

They are really great for the wide horses. Horses seem to love them as they allow a lot of freedom of movement. Riders find them more challenging sometimes because they are fairly open and broad in the twist. They have a pad system but not all of the used ones come with pads.
Jay McGarry
saddle fitter
jay@trumbullmtn.com
www.trumbullmtn.com
800-442-9672

dressagefan
Greenie

Postby dressagefan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks everyone! Will definitely look more closely at them. I wish there were more used ones available but that's probably a good sign of fitting well.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”