Attractive winter riding boots?

HafDressage
Herd Member

Attractive winter riding boots?

Postby HafDressage » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Hello DDBB,

I just ordered a pair of Mountain horse Ice Rider 3 winter riding boots and I'm kind of bummed about the look. From the pictures before I bought they looked nice and sleek. When they arrived, they have these HUGE gusset type things on the back of the calf that look terrible. I can't get over how they make my leg look fat! And yes, I do care. 8-) 8-) 8-)

What have you guys found in the way of attractive winter riding boots? Do they exist or do I just need to bite the bullet and have unattractive but warm toes?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Attractive winter riding boots?

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:34 pm

i went and tried on what i thought was a really cut pair of ariat riding boots, i thought they were really cute, they were these although i tried the other color and i was offered them at 30 percent off, but when i tried them on, despite being cute, they were really low on the calf, i mean nowhere near high enough to be comfortable riding, it looked like they were made more for looks than function,

this is what i have found on numerous occasions, either cute winter boots, or practical, but not both

sorry i am no help at all, am i

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:27 pm

How about the short insulated paddock boots with half chaps?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARIAT-Wms-Extre ... _6cthXBrLQ

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:02 am

I just received my black Friday Ariat Bromont tall boots from Sheplers. $219 on sale with free shipping :) They are really nice looking. I have yet to try them in anger, but others I know who have had them find them quite cosy.

I will report back once I've given them a try....

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:14 am

Flying Lily - I almost just fell out of my chair at the price of those boots. I would rather go barefoot than pay that price for a pair of winter boots. ;) :lol:

I'm going to order new normal higher end boots this spring, so I don't want to blow the budget on winter boots. I'm also not into paddock boots, so that rules those out.

The Bromonts look promising, but maybe like they have a gusset type thing too. Maybe I need to quit my day job and design winter riding boots for a living. The sad thing about the ice riders not working out is that they are relatively tall, so from the front they really do look like nice riding boots. It's just the view from the side that looks bad.

What do you guys think about these? https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/mountain-horse-stella-polaris-tall-boot-8002

I can't decide if they are more or less tragic than the one's I have now. Part of me thins "oh like a snow bunny look." The other part of me is like, "what on earth."

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:49 am

I will take a picture of the bromonts so you can see what they look like. Trainer has the Middleburgs, not pretty, but she reckons warm.

bettyk
Greenie

Postby bettyk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:44 pm

I'm on my second pair of Bromonts--the first were field boots; the ones I just got are the dress boots. They're very warm and waterproof--and I think they're considerably better looking than the Mountain Horse boots (have had those too). The field boots lasted three years. Mountaineer got a tremendous deal from Shepler's. I ordered mine from SmartPak with their 15% off sale + 5% more with a USEF no.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:02 pm

I have Dublin Zeniths, which I think are no longer made (but one can still find them for sale sometimes). I have two pairs, actually, because they are so comfortable!

They are not super warm (I live in the mid-south!), but are fairly toasty compared to non-insulated boots.

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:41 pm

I just ordered these: http://www.jefferspet.com/products/ovation-duncan-country-boot-size-6?sku=5YUY from Jeffers Equine.

Pretty good reviews. I will post back when they arrive.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 pm

I like the quilted look of the MH stella polaris, but I have not seen them in person.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:36 pm

These are my Bromonts from the back. They do not have big gussets. The inside is suede and there is a panel of stretchy leather-like material about 1.5" wide on the outside near the zipper for some give. I bought them last winter and have been very happy with them. Only complaint is that the snaps at the top can be a little hard to undo sometimes, especially with gloves on.
Keep calm and canter on.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:26 pm

The MH Active Winter Riders are very nice looking. That said, I now ride in MH or Ariat paddocks with half chaps in the winter. Just easier. And foot warmers. Always foot warmers.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:50 am

The bromonts are my show boots!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:46 pm

It has been too warm to try my Bromonts out yet! (I got the field boots--the dress boots were going to be so much more expensive, and I'm happy enough with the field boot look...)

However, it is snowing insanely here this morning, to the extent that I am working from home today. So I suspect I will get to try them next time I ride...

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I decided to order the Ariat Bromonts today based on your recommendations. They seemed like the best looking option for riding. I'll report back once they arrive...and once it is warm enough to wear them. It's been so crazy warm down south, I'm wondering whether I should even be debating winter riding boots. :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:06 am

It's a chilly night here and I am sitting in my house wearing my Bromonts to break them in a bit before I ride in them tomorrow. they are actually very comfy though need to drop a bit so they don't grab the backs of my knees. My feet are so glowingly toasty I may wear them to bed...

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Mountaineer - I'm excited to try them when they arrive!

Speaking of winter riding boots, if anybody is interested in the ice riders, they are on sale for $89 on tack of the day today.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Dubarry's are not meant for riding, and I'm guessing the Dublins may not be either. I have Dubarry's and I love them. Comfy, warm, but suede shafts that are not reinforced and therefore no support. I rode in them once or twice, just a hop on and walk, but I would never wear them for serious riding/schooling, and Dubarry even says they are not meant for riding.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:44 pm

PaulaO is right that Dubarry is not meant for riding. They have one model, Clare, that is "suitable for an occasional ride" because of the leather panel on the inside calf but otherwise I think the ride you get in them would not be worth the price of those boots.

I have Dublin Pinnacle boots that, similarly to Clare, have the leather patch on the inside calf. I've ridden in them a few times for a quick hop on and walk around but I would not do it on regular basis. They are too short and too soft in the shaft and too bulky in the foot to be a regular riding boot.'

Let us know how to Bromonts suit you when they get there!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:45 pm

I ride in Dublin Zeniths all the time *gasp* (5 days/week, still schooling 2nd and 3rd, so not that serious!!). However, the Dublin leather is soft and they will not make your lower leg stiff like a dress boot. I'm fine with that. I also ride with a fairly large stirrup, so that foot bed size is not an issue. I prefer these boots to riding in paddocks and half chaps.

Due to my diseased joints, the Dublins are the boots I can always get on! (even with swollen hands and feet). My joints need to be functioning pretty well to put on my dress boots. In winter, that is not that likely.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:05 am

Welp, to make a long story longer, the Ariat Bromonts arrived the other day and...they were a little big in the calf, but more importantly, they looked like someone had already broken them in. So, the ankles were all kinds of creased, which displeased me greatly. So, I've got a call into smartpak about it.

I'm not sure whether to keep the boots because they are just winter riding boots, so random creases aren't as big of a deal or whether to try a different winter riding boot. Unfortunately, Smartpak doesn't have the Bromonts in the same size or another size that would work for me.

This winter riding boot situation is quite the pickle. Maybe I will try the MH Stella Polaris or the MH Active winter riding boot instead.

Volte
Greenie

Postby Volte » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:41 am

I have the Stella Polaris boots and they are WARM and completely functional. They're super comfortable in the saddle and on the ground. I love being a slacker and wearing them for everything instead of changing in/out of them like I do my DeNiros. They are fully lined with that faux fur so prepare to have fat looking legs. They come up just as far as my leather riding boots. One note of caution: the zipper starts at the achilles tendon and the sizing is not generous. If you have a high instep, you might have trouble getting them on.

Mine are going on their second season and are still completely waterproof and new looking.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:24 am

Volte - Funny you should post that! I am sending the Bromonts back and had them ship me the Stellas and they just arrived. I have to say, I kind of LOVE them. So, I think of all of the winter boots that I tried they are the best looking bc they have a "winter snow bunny look" instead of a "badly-made dress boot" look and the gusset is central instead of on the back of the calf. So, I'm surprisingly pleased.

The only drawback so far, as you note, is that I almost died trying to get them on the first time. They are soooo DIFFICULT to get my foot into. Good lord. After I got them on, the next few times have been better, but they are still somewhat difficult to get on. Once on, though, they are comfy and very warm.

I'll try to post a picture if I wear them to the barn tomorrow. :)

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:50 pm

I ordered these this year:
http://www.pleasantridge.ca/index.php/english-apparel/riding-boots/ovation-blizzard-winter-boots-with-zipper.html

I have to say that they are really warm. I've worn them riding and I've worn them to work when there was a storm.
Caveat- the calf is regular and I'm not sure if there are options for other sizes. The other thing is that I ordered up- I'm usually a 8/ 8.5 and I ordered a 9. That was a good choice for fit.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:26 am

So far, loving the Bromonts, I have to say. Warm and waterproof and decent looking.
Luckily for me I have off the shelf legs and feet for Ariat boots.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”