Best winter riding glove

Fatcat
Herd Member

Best winter riding glove

Postby Fatcat » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:55 am

What is your favorite non bulky winter riding glove, (preferably under $50). I need a pair and am wondering what's out there now. Thanks

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Re: Best winter riding glove

Postby gypsy still flies » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:52 am

I like the SSG econo winter riding glove. They're $13 or so dollars at Dover so if (more like when) I lose them, I'm not out a lot of money.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:17 am

I love SSG--the fingers actually fit my hands. I find silk liners in just about any glove is the warmest way to go without bulk.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:45 am

I like roekl winter gloves because ssg do not fit me. Liners for when it's cold.

If you have very poor circulation riding mittens are good but of course useless for tacking up.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:14 am

I have problems with cold extremities and hence, have tried all the fancy gloves, but nothing works better for me than this combo.

(1) Ragg fingerless gloves with thinsulate. They have a mitten flap that can be worn either off or on. http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shot-Sentry-M ... ate+gloves .

(2) Inside those, the cheap, thin "magic gloves" you can get at Target for 3 for $5.

(3) Between those, on the top of the hand, chemical hand warmers. http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-War ... nd+warmers . I buy them by the box. Note that they last for hours--you can stop the process by putting them in a sealed zip lock baggie and then reuse them. :-)

I like this because I can still use my fingers when I need them, but cover them up when I don't. I can ride with them uncovered or covered (just leave pinky out). I use the eventa reins, which are very flexible rubber, so I'm not fussed about having sticky gloves because the rubber doesn't slip, but there is leather or leather like stuff on the ragged gloves, so they would probably work with regular reins, too.
Last edited by pawsplus on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:38 pm

I've been using winter "sport" gloves that are like $12 at CostCo (not the glove liners but the slightly thicker ones). They have rubberized grip on the palms/fingers. Probably would wear out if you're riding lots of horses, but then, they're 1/4 the price of Roeckls. I have a pair of Roeckl Winter Chesters but don't find them very warm. I also get the toe warmers from Costco and put them in the backs of my gloves. The instructions say not to put them against bare skin, but I've never had a problem. The toe warmers are thinner than the hand warmers and have sticky backs so they stay in place.
Keep calm and canter on.

Pippigirl
Greenie

Postby Pippigirl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:45 pm

So far the warmest glove I've found is the Roeckl Winter Hampshire Glove with Prima loft lining. Unfortunately it is over $50US but I've been able to ride fairly comfortably at -20C (-4F).

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 pm

I bought gloves years ago that were lined with thinsulate. They were warm. I just don't recall who made them......

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately SSGs don't fit me, I'm between sizes in their line. I'm going to try some Heritage gloves lined in thinsulate from Smartpak, I'll let you know what I think when they get here.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:06 pm

I like the Heritage winter riding gloves. I also supplement with the hand warmers. This year, I'm going to splurge on a pair of Back on Track's glove.

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:58 pm

VBOpie wrote:I This year, I'm going to splurge on a pair of Back on Track's glove.

I had the same thought. Splurged on the BOT. No luck keeping my hands warm.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Bummer. Dasher-sorry to hear that about the BoT gloves. Did you notice any extra warmth, at all? What are the winter riding conditions where you are?

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:18 pm

The BOT gloves are not thick enough to work as real winter gloves. I have not found that the liners add measurably to the warmth of gloves. That said I have found that the blanket and the scarf DO add increased warmth. Curious!

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Under armour glove liners. I put them under SSG silk lined gloves and they do a wonderful job.

Pippigirl
Greenie

Postby Pippigirl » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00 am

VBOpie wrote:I like the Heritage winter riding gloves. I also supplement with the hand warmers. This year, I'm going to splurge on a pair of Back on Track's glove.

I didn't find the BoT glove liners did much for my hands. I thought they would help with hand stiffness in the winter time but not much difference. Maybe I'll check out the UA liners...

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:21 pm

And the winner is ... Ariat insulated Tek Grip gloves. Fit is great, warm, and thin enough to ride in.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:48 am

Fatcat wrote:And the winner is ... Ariat insulated Tek Grip gloves. Fit is great, warm, and thin enough to ride in.

So how are these working out now it's getting colder?

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Great! We just finished a week of really cold weather (teens at night and 30s in days), and i had warm fingers when working the horse and pony. They are also thin enough in the fingers to do up bridles. Another pair i kept for doing barn chores was Heritage polarfleece gloves. I got them both at smartpak.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:53 pm

And - it seems that they are no longer available.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Yep, just seen that. I may have to wander down to my local tack shop and see if they have them.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Wicky wrote:And - it seems that they are no longer available.

Eeks! I just got them not too long ago and now they are discontinued!? I hate it when that happens. Perhaps ebay has some?

I just googled and it seems amazon.com has them.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:00 am

I put the thin BOT gloves inside my Roeckl gloves for riding when the temps are hovering around freezing.
And then they go inside an old pair of nylon Thinsulite SSG' for colder weather.

I find the BOT riding gloves fit small and are not suitable for my fat arthritic fingers.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:27 am

I just ordered the Heritage winter gloves from Smartpak and I'm sending them back. They are little thicker than I might like normally, but if you live in a really cold area, they are probably a good bet for winter riding. I'm sending them back because they weren't long enough for my fingers. I have loooong fingers and I ordered a 9 and the fingers were still too short. I think if you have normal sized hands you would be good though. :)

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”