Impact Gel Endurance saddle pad

dressagefan
Greenie

Impact Gel Endurance saddle pad

Postby dressagefan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:20 am

When I borrowed a friend's western saddle, I used her Impact gel pad. They get great reviews for endurance and western riders. I know she had one mostly because her trainer suggested it and couldn't compare to anything else (she's always had one). I'm wondering if they really do help. They are very thick (3/4") but I think that is part of the benefit. I'm wondering if I get a wider saddle with room, if there would be benefit to putting this under for some extra protection for a sensitive horse. He does seem to appreciate when I use the thinline under our current (not great fitting) saddle, and he has benefitted from the Back on Track pad, so I am wondering if he moved out in the western saddle so well because of the pad, or the different tree.

Any experience, good or bad, using the endurance pads as regular saddle pads would be welcome. Thanks! :)

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... 7571cbd748

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Impact Gel Endurance saddle pad

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:29 pm

How is the flocking on your saddle, and how much panel contact does it have? I think English saddles in general are harder to fit for the horse's comfort because there's less weight-bearing surface, so the weight needs to be really well distributed to prevent discomfort. With that said, I've had a few serge panel Black Country saddles and it seems like the horses appreciate the softer, more breathable panel.

I've also recently bought a Saddleright pad to take up extra space when using my wide freedom tree Black Country on less wide horses. These pads are thicker than your usual English saddle pads with some more meat to them, so they are purported to forgive some saddle fitting imperfections. If you go for a wider saddle, you might want to take a look at these instead of a bulky western pad. They are pricey though - I got mine in new condition on eBay for $160, but I had to keep an eye out and be shark-like in my bidding to get it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Tack, Apparel, Facilities and Transportation”